Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Renault, Ricciardo, Hulkenberg - Discussion.

Sparked by and exchange with Nitrodaze in the French GP thread, and my newly acquired penchant for starting threads, I thought it was worthwhile to start a thread about this combination.

Since their return as a factory team, Renault have established themselves as the "best of the rest" in F1. The acknowledged 4th placed team behind the big 3 of MB, Ferrari, and RB. They've had a slow start to the season. But are now only 2pts behind McLaren in the wcc, pretty much off the back of one good race in Canada, where both drivers finished in the points for the first this season.

Daniel Ricciardo is was big inclusion this year, to much conjecture by the fans. Regardless of the reasons why he moved, he started out being a bit sloppy this season with clumsy moments in Australia, Bahrain and Azerbaijan. But he's followed up with a good weekend at Monaco (spoilt by wrong pit tactics), and a 6th in Canada.

But what was most notable in Canada was that he qualified 4th. This is the best qualifying result Renault have had since re-joining F1 in the hybrid turbo era, and their best qualifying since Robert Kubica was 4th at the 2010 Japanese GP.

Nico Hulkenberg has had a slow start to the year, with only two 7th places and 12pts to show so far (In comparison to the 32pts this time last year. But most alarmingly he's behind Ricciardo head to head qualifying 1-6, with a streak of 6!

I don't think anybody thinks Hulkenberg is anything other than a top quality driver/talent, so I would expect him to regain some form. But imo, I think he has a disadvantage in that Ricciardo has come from a from a top tier team, whereas Hulk has been stifled by running in mid range teams for 9 years.

The thing with teams like Renault (best/better of the second tier teams), is that until they consistently produce results that say they're a genuine top tier team, you kind of can't judge how good/bad they based on outright results.

There's more variables that affect their outright results (Aggression from those behind them, adversity of those in front, whereas the top team are only affected by how bad they perform). So they way I look to see how they're going is with total amount of points finishes, and consecutive runs of points finishes.

Renault have had 5 points finishes so far. Sainz and Hulkenberg had 6 and 5 points finishes each at this time last year!

Ricciardo has been sloppy to start with, Hulkenberg seems a bit off, and the team haven't made the right strategy calls. But two consecutive points finishes, and a first double points finish in Canada, says to me they're starting eke back into form.

A pretty good race from Hulkenberg. To end up 8th and ahead of Ricciardo is a cracking result. His best race even if it's not his best result. Has now equalled Ricciardo's points total despite having a worse season so far that Ric.

But for Ricciardo, a 1/10 unfortunately.

It was effectively a 1 lap challenge for Ricciardo. At the start of the last lap he was where he started in 8th. He was simultaneously in the position of being able to get an extra place, while being vulnerable to getting picked off by two guys behind him. That is a challenge the "Racing Gods" are throwing at him, and he failed.

The best he could've done was 7th, the worst was 10th. Somehow he's ended up 11th!

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-red-bull-exit

Hand me the violin, Danny. You got a new race engineer so you jumped ship 😂😂😂

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post

Since their return as a factory team, Renault have established themselves as the "best of the rest" in F1. The acknowledged 4th placed team behind the big 3 of MB, Ferrari, and RB. They've had a slow start to the season. But are now only 2pts behind McLaren in the wcc, pretty much off the back of one good race in Canada, where both drivers finished in the points for the first this season.
    For a start, Renault are not 2 pt behind Mclaren. They are a good 43 points adrift.

Check it out here :- https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2019/team.html
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th August 2019 at 18:51.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Renault's 2019 season has been a monumental disaster really. They are not just way of their 2019 target of 4th in the WCC tables, they are 6th with a fragile engine, with a poor reliability record and not showing signs of real improvement. From Ricciado's perspective, it is looking like a miscalculated risk; a nightmare that Ricciado is putting a brave face to hide. The point really is whether Renault can hang on to Ricciado with their current show of form. A similar sort of form by Renault in 2020 would be very detrimental to Ricciado's stock in the driver's market. Hence, he would need to see something tangible to suggest that Renault can recover and make good on their promise to him to ensure that they can keep him in their car in 2020 and beyond.

Personally, l think it would be daft for Renault to replace Hulkenburg who has been a reliable and consistent point scorer for them. But mainly because, Hulkenburg would be invaluable to Renault if Ricciado is poached by another team. That said, there has been rumours that Renault would like a french driver in one of their cars. Ocon came close to landing the seat alongside Hulkenburg before the Ricciado bombshell put paid to that idea.

If Renault dumps Hulkenburg, l can see him in the Haas in 2020. There is also a good chance that Hulkenburg may choose to leave anyway. A return of Ricciado to Redbull is not an impossible idea either.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th August 2019 at 13:22.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    When I saw the report on 2019 driver salaries published, my jaw dropped when I saw Ricciardo making something like 20 million euros (or was it dollars? who cares anyways). I am not saying that Ricciardo does not deserve it. What I mean is that Renault seems to have a big budget and willingness to get to the top, and yet they are fighting, barely, for the title of "the best of the rest"? And this is three years after the Renault takeover of this team. They might as well try to hire back Flavio Briatore because, despite all of his flaws, the people who run that place right now seem to have no clue.

If Ricciardo didn't make errors in Australia, Azerbaijan and France, he'd likely have enough points to be 8th in the standings. That would be still be a good season and keep his reputation intact. It's his errors that have been costly. He's best to be a lot more conservative in amongst traffic for the rest of the season to make up for it.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Well now that Ocon has secured the seat at Renault for 2020 ,the real question is what happens to Hulkenberg now/
    Many speculate that he will move over to Haas and Grosjean will be shown the door.
    But tbh the better option would be with Alfa Romero which could see potentially 2 seats become available for a solid car in 2020
    If kimi retires then there is one seat, if he stays, surely Gio will be axed for mediocrity and Hulkenberg will be an instant upgrade.
    Either way, I think Gio is cooked.
    A kimi/hulkenberg lineup in a car that just keeps getting better in a 22 race season seems like a strong pairing.
    Rather that than having to deal with KMag and an unpredictable Haas car.
    Last edited by truefan72; 30th August 2019 at 07:27.
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Well now that Ocon has secured the seat at Renault for 2020 ,the real question is what happens to Hulkenberg now/
    Many speculate that he will move over to Haas and Grosjean will be shown the door.
    But tbh the better option would be with Alfa Romero which could see potentially 2 seats become available for a solid car in 2020
    If kimi retires then there is one seat, if he stays, surely Gio will be axed for mediocrity and Hulkenberg will be an instant upgrade.
    Either way, I think Gio is cooked.
    A kimi/hulkenberg lineup in a car that just keeps getting better in a 22 race season seems like a strong pairing.
    Rather that than having to deal with KMag and an unpredictable Haas car.
    Ferrari like to keep things in the Ferrari family. Chances are they would replace Gio with another Ferrari academy driver such as Werhlein or Kyvat or a rookie from the F2 world into the Alfa. Hulkenburgs real chance of a seat is at Haas or Williams. Everywhere else seems locked down.
    William Shakespeare