Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Lewis Hamilton - An objective look at his 2019 season.

So since you can't talk about Bottas without validating Hamilton in the Bottas thread. I'm starting this thread to really get down in analysing his 2019 season.

So since the new points allocation was introduced in 2010. Lewis Hamilton has exceeded his own record of scoring the most points after 7 races, with 162pts. Leading team mate Bottas by a considerable 29pts.

But personally, I think he's done so without particularly doing anything remarkable?

He's leading the head to head qualifying with Bottas 4-3. But Bottas had the howler in Canada. Bottas is leading the PP stats 3-1, and most wouldn't have expected this prior to the season.

But even with his wins, there's nothing really that crash hot. China and Spain were just another MB processions. Monaco was alright. But the lead car has an advantage at Monaco, so him fending off Verstappen wasn't really a big deal.

He's leading Bottas 5-2 in the win column. But two of his wins have been inherited, Bahrain and Canada. That's 14 bonus points in the championship compared to where he objectively should've finished. A extra 10 points over Bottas in comparison to where he would've finished as well.

Then he benefits from the misfortune Bottas suffered in Monaco. Bottas should've had at least a 2nd place, so there's 3 points Hamilton benefits from.

Bottas was having problems with his car in Bahrain, and a mistake as a result of it was taken advantage by Hamilton.

So he's leading the championship by a comfortable margin. But he hasn't really done anything.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    He doesn't need to be exceptional. He's team mate is no match for the WDC. The Ferraris are behind as well. It's going to be boring and it's going to be another "easy" one for Hamilton.

Bottas has scored 133pts so far. At this point in the season since the new points allocation was introduced, 133pts would lead the championship in 5 of the 10 seasons, and be the leading MB in 17.

Bottas has suffered some misfortune in the races, and Hamilton has been fortunate a couples of time this year.

Hamilton has not obliterated Bottas at any stage this year. Bottas best this year has been better.

There's enough evidence this year to suggest that your sweeping generalisation is an incorrect interpretation. I have no idea what quality you think Hamilton has that you could be so definite.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 19th June 2019 at 13:15.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I am sorry buddy, when it comes to Hamilton, you do not have an object view. You clearly don't like him. But like minded chaps as your self would have a great forum to be critical of him while pretending to be objective.

That said, it would make interesting reading. Hence l shall be reading the entries to this thread for its comedy value.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 19th June 2019 at 14:31.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Feel free to challenge any point of view of mine. When I say "objective", I wasn't just meaning of my own opinion. You can contribute to.

With the possible exception of the crucial PP at Monaco. Is there a performance where you can say he's definitely produced an performance to warrant such a big points lead?

In fact, I'd even encourage anyone to counter any points I make (Except N4D13)
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 19th June 2019 at 13:29.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    There's enough evidence this year to suggest that your sweeping generalisation is an incorrect interpretation. I have no idea what quality you think Hamilton has that you could be so definite.
    He's just better than Bottas. I want to be wrong but I don't think I am. At the end of the season we'll keep talking about unlucky Bottas.

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
    In any competition, you only have to (and in fact can only) beat what's put up against you. And Hamilton has done so, 5 times now.

You can argue until the cows come home that he was unlucky here and lucky there but it is his results that lead to points and he is the one with more of them.

I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I don't think there is anything other than objectivity in these comments, excepting my final sentence which may be totally wrong - I hope it is as F1 without predictability is a much more rewarding experience.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greencroft View Post
    In any competition, you only have to (and in fact can only) beat what's put up against you. And Hamilton has done so, 5 times now.

You can argue until the cows come home that he was unlucky here and lucky there but it is his results that lead to points and he is the one with more of them.

I don't think there is anything other than objectivity in these comments, excepting my final sentence which may be totally wrong - I hope it is as F1 without predictability is a much more rewarding experience.
    This , I think , is more about "who is the favourite son .

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Bottas has scored 133pts so far. At this point in the season since the new points allocation was introduced, 133pts would lead the championship in 5 of the 10 seasons, and be the leading MB in 17.

Bottas has suffered some misfortune in the races, and Hamilton has been fortunate a couples of time this year.

Hamilton has not obliterated Bottas at any stage this year. Bottas best this year has been better.

Ok, fair points, so here goes.

The Redbull shinanigans at Monaco has caused Bottas the most damage to his championship hopes this season but not necessarily putting him out of it. He was off the boil at Canada and failed to be on the podium which has caused further damage to his hopes. But still recoverable. He started the season well but Hamilton was always thereabout. I think there may have been some initial complacence from Hamilton at the start of the season, but that started to fall away as we approached the European races.

Even while Hamilton was not quite up to his usual level of performance, he was close enough to ensure that he was there to take full advantage of situations during the race. To say Hamilton was fortunate displays poor appreciation of how hard Mercedes had to work to ensure that the deficit of pace they have relative to the fearsome Ferrari engine was recovered and extended in the aero package of their cars.

Bottas is behind on points because he has not maximized his opportunities as Hamilton has. To be ahead, one has to also be there to grab any opportunities that come your way. Rosberg understood this very well which is why he managed to win the 2016 WDC. Hamilton was there to collect when Ferrari fumbled their opportunities to win. Be it the situation where Leclerc's engine had problems at the latter stages of what seemed like a clear win for Ferrari. Or the much criticized penalty that gifted Hamilton the Canadian GP win. It takes a great deal of effort to be in such a position.

On both occasions that Hamilton has taken a Ferrari win, you forget that there is the other Ferrari there which should be taking over a win if the leading car is in some trouble. That was not the case, but Hamilton in the slower but nimble Mercedes was there to ensure he got the bounty. That is not being fortunate. that is great racing.

When you say obliterate, what do you really mean? Do you mean speed off into the distance leaving Bottas 30 minutes behind? Or do you mean being ahead in the points. To say Hamilton should have obliterated Bottas , shows you have very little respect for Bottas and how well he has upped his game this season. In the Mercedes, Hamilton is not going to drive off into the distance, unless Bottas have issues which put him in the midfield pack. It happened in 2018 because Bottas lost confidence and hated the way things turned out for him. And the team orders did not help his motivation either. But it was what it was.

The fact that Bottas has stepped up his game does not mean Hamilton has become mediocre. I expect a close fight for each point between Hamilton and Bottas. Because Bottas pushed the bar up early in the season , asking Hamilton to step up. And Hamilton stepped up his game and we begin to see points gap increasing. The question now is, can Bottas recover from his 29 points deficit and take the fight back to Hamilton or not? How Bottas recovers would say a lot about him and his place in the second Mercedes car.

What you are seeing with Hamilton is greatness in motion. The unfolding of a brilliant historical moment which you and l are lucky to behold.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 19th June 2019 at 16:32.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greencroft View Post

More worryingly for Bottas is that Hamilto looks yet to peak this season, whereas Bottas appears to have peaked early on. Hamilton’s second half of the season is usually stronger.

For those that remember 2017, Bottas also started the season incredibly strong. I remember an interview with Damon Hill where he stated he reckoned Hamilton could step it up a gear against Bottas when he wanted. He did just that in the second half of the season amd Bottas challenge tailed off, it’ll be interesting to see if this happens again or whether Bottas impressive start to 2019 will carry through to the seasons end.