Page 15 of 124 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Liked 84 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevendufc View Post
    My loose plan was to head to Newtown for Saturday lunch time for the re-group.Will that be worthwhile? On the Friday night we're staying in Runcorn so its an hour+half drive there, so possibly not worth the effort if the re-group doesn't really amount to much.

Was also thinking of going to Llandudno after to visit the service park. I know there won't be any cars getting serviced, so again Im wondering if that will be worthwhile?

Sunday - I assume you can quite easily do both Alwen and Brenig stages as they're so close to one another - but perhaps not?

So my plan for Sunday was Alwen-Brenig- sit about for a bit (will there be any food or drink kiosks?) while the cars go to Great Orme and then Alwen and Brenig. In terms of the WRC i think Brenig will finish about 1pm - we have a flight from Manchester at 17:05 which should be sufficient time, unless getting out the car park will take a long time - will it?

Also - what time should i be looking to park the car at Alwen on the Sunday morning, in order A) get there on time and B) avoid a lengthy walk (we have a 5 year old). We're staying in Rhyl the night before and its about an hour away, so its looking like a very early start - I wonder just how early!!
    I've not been to that re-group but they're usually a good opportunity to get close to the drivers and see them out of the cars - if the weather is dry I'd say it would be worth the trip. The other thing that might be worth considering is to look at the route that the cars will be taking on the public road and find a village where they'll be passing through (ideally with a pub or café) and park up to watch the cars come past - I'd expect there would be people from the village out watching too. Nb - best doing that after the first run of the stages, if you're after the second run then you'll get caught up in spectator traffic as people leave the stages. Oswestry can be a bit of a bottleneck but at least the Newtown bypass has been finished, which should help traffic flow around there.

Service park is usually worth a visit just for a bit of atmosphere - there are merch stalls and usually a big screen playing interviews and action - and with it being in a town centre this year you can always go for food if you or your son get bored. Like the re-group, it'd be better if the weather was dry!

On Sunday, yeah, really early! I'd say try to arrive no later than 2 hours before first car is due. If you can get parked on the side of the B4501 (carpark P2), that would be best - you could walk to either stage from there. The view from the dam and towards the end of Brenig is decent (point V2) and although it's uphill walking back to your car, you should have an unobstructed view as the terrain is open and the cars below you as they come up the valley (have a look on Google earth). You'll be queueing all the way into Cerrig afterwards, took me 30 minutes just to reach the A5 last year, and that wasn't a Powerstage so possibly fewer people than there will be this year. There should be at least one van selling tea, coffee, bacon rolls and economy burgers!

2. Likes: AndyRAC (24th September 2019),Hartusvuori (24th September 2019)
    This the view (click to enlarge) from close to the roadside of the B4501, looking down towards the stage - the dam is a long way back from the stage but it's a fast stretch so still a decent watch.

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Last year isn't really a good comparison indeed, it was on friday and in the middle of the loop. This year going there is nearly the only good option on sunday. Pretty much all spectators are going to these two stages on Sunday. Hard to predict how many there will be... Also keep in mind that most roads leading towards Manchester are full of traffic on Sunday afternoon.

5. Likes: AndyRAC (24th September 2019),the sniper (22nd September 2019)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whinlatter View Post
    I've not been to that re-group but they're usually a good opportunity to get close to the drivers and see them out of the cars - if the weather is dry I'd say it would be worth the trip. The other thing that might be worth considering is to look at the route that the cars will be taking on the public road and find a village where they'll be passing through (ideally with a pub or café) and park up to watch the cars come past - I'd expect there would be people from the village out watching too. Nb - best doing that after the first run of the stages, if you're after the second run then you'll get caught up in spectator traffic as people leave the stages. Oswestry can be a bit of a bottleneck but at least the Newtown bypass has been finished, which should help traffic flow around there.

Service park is usually worth a visit just for a bit of atmosphere - there are merch stalls and usually a big screen playing interviews and action - and with it being in a town centre this year you can always go for food if you or your son get bored. Like the re-group, it'd be better if the weather was dry!

On Sunday, yeah, really early! I'd say try to arrive no later than 2 hours before first car is due. If you can get parked on the side of the B4501 (carpark P2), that would be best - you could walk to either stage from there. The view from the dam and towards the end of Brenig is decent (point V2) and although it's uphill walking back to your car, you should have an unobstructed view as the terrain is open and the cars below you as they come up the valley (have a look on Google earth). You'll be queueing all the way into Cerrig afterwards, took me 30 minutes just to reach the A5 last year, and that wasn't a Powerstage so possibly fewer people than there will be this year. There should be at least one van selling tea, coffee, bacon rolls and economy burgers!
    Thanks very much for your reply. Great info and much appreciated.

Although I'm not in a bit of quandry. On the Sunday I wonder if I might be better forgetting Alwen & Brenig, and just doing Great Orme? Or maybe I could do Alwen and Brenig in the morning, and call it quits at that (I've grown anxious about missing our flight home now, so probably best not hang around for the second runs).

I guess what I'm asking are the stages in the woods better than Great Orme (I'm imagining yes, but could of course be wrong)

Also, and just to check - Am i right in thinking that once the WRC cars have done Alwen, you can then walk over to Brenig for its' run?

Thanks again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    Last year isn't really a good comparison indeed, it was on friday and in the middle of the loop. This year going there is nearly the only good option on sunday. Pretty much all spectators are going to these two stages on Sunday. Hard to predict how many there will be... Also keep in mind that most roads leading towards Manchester are full of traffic on Sunday afternoon.
    Thanks for that. Think I'll miss out the second runs of Alwen and Brenig as don't want to miss our flight. Thanks for the reply

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whinlatter View Post
    This the view (click to enlarge) from close to the roadside of the B4501, looking down towards the stage - the dam is a long way back from the stage but it's a fast stretch so still a decent watch.

Having ridden up that hill it's pretty steep.....In fact I'll be there on Saturday trying out a new MTB...

Saying that, depends on were you're situated, you can see quite a bit of the Brenig stage.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingd...Coed/long.html
    https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingd...nant/long.html

Current forecasts implicating constant rain until this Sunday, but dry during the rally week. Although I don't think the dampness will still disappear with those temperatures. Although, having proper rainy and foggy conditions would give the right feeling for the rally...
    Last edited by AnttiL; 25th September 2019 at 06:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendufc View Post
    Thanks very much for your reply. Great info and much appreciated.

Although I'm not in a bit of quandry. On the Sunday I wonder if I might be better forgetting Alwen & Brenig, and just doing Great Orme? Or maybe I could do Alwen and Brenig in the morning, and call it quits at that (I've grown anxious about missing our flight home now, so probably best not hang around for the second runs).

I guess what I'm asking are the stages in the woods better than Great Orme (I'm imagining yes, but could of course be wrong)

Also, and just to check - Am i right in thinking that once the WRC cars have done Alwen, you can then walk over to Brenig for its' run?

Thanks again
    No problem Steven. Yes, you can walk between Alwen and Brenig, but I doubt you'd make it in the time between stages if you're not staying for the second runs - bear in mind that the works WRC crews are running at two minute intervals, so I suppose you could watch the top 10 and then walk across, but you might miss the first few.

Great Orme is a fantastic place to watch rallying if it's a nice day, but it's very exposed and bleak if it's not! It's obviously not the same as watching in a forest, but it's spectacular in it's own way. If you don't mind the early start then personally I'd go for the forest stages, but a lovely sunny day might tempt me to do the Orme...

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts

12. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (27th September 2019)
    Liked 12,172 Times in 5,220 Posts
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -