Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Just watched the replay again And doubly sure the penalty was deserved. He could have continued left of the kerb to rejoin the track, instead he went over the kerb to slide himself over the track. He could have rejoined the track in a safe manner and that is key here because he didn’t.

2. Likes: Duncan (9th June 2019)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    That glimpse of reason didn't last long, did it?
    My stance hasn't changed. Penalty was harsh but not underatanding why it was even investigated in the first place is equally as foolish. One can be nuanced in an argument right?

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    It is a controversial decision but l think the decision seemed unfair. Vettel made a mistake and cutting the track gave him an advantage. But they should have let them race l think. The stewards do that on other occasions but in this instance where they should have been consistent. Verstapenn enjoyed it in the last race but on this occasion where there was a proper fight happening, they spoilt it with a penalty.

I think Hamilton would have passed him at some point maybe. But the race ended with the fans at the race feeling upset with the decision. But to be fair, the rules was broken and the penalty did fit the crime.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 9th June 2019 at 22:27.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Toto wolf giving a reasoned explanation. Time turn off sky. Its all too much from brundle and co.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It is a controversial decision but l think the decision seemed unfair. Vettel made a mistake and cutting the track gave him an advantage. But they should have let them race l think. The stewards do that on other occasions but in this instance where they should have been consistent. Verstapenn enjoyed it in the last race but on this occasion where there was a proper fight happening, they spoilt it with a penalty.

I think Hamilton would have passed him at some point maybe. But the race ended with the fans at the race feeling upset with the decision.
    Agreed. It was a bit controversial. I maintain that arguing about car control of the car as he is bouncing back on the track from grass isn't understanging that his mistake is the intial problem. Brundel arguing lewis has a brake too is pathetic. Seb has a brake too and a steering wheel and a brain. Ugh

Ricciado did well to finish 6th and best of the rest. A strong Renault showing this weekend, they have closed up to Mclaren who is 3rd in the constructors leader board by 2 points. The fight for 4th in the constructors championship is hotting up now. This is one to watch. Max recovered well to fifth from the back of the grid, what a drive. Is Bottas's championship fight also over with 29 points adrift?

It is fair to say now that Ferrari are out of it unless Mercedes get complacent and screw up some races in the future. This is one race that has left a bad taste in my mouth at the end of it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 9th June 2019 at 22:39.
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: truefan72 (9th June 2019)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    This is going to run and run...

While not wanting to see a race getting decided that way, I don't think the stewards could really just ignore that. Surprised at the Sky team constantly talking about how there was nothing Seb could do, because he didn't have control of the car; really not seeing how that's relevant. He clearly went all-4-off and then rejoined in an unsafe manner. Whether he was a passenger at that point seems irrelevant, since the chain of events was triggered by Seb losing control of the car at the entrance to the corner in the first place.

Had he managed to regain control of the car after rejoining the track, Lewis would have taken the place, and it shouldn't be to Seb's advantage to have still been out of control. As it was, Lewis needed to deploy the reflexes of a cat to avoid getting both front wheels taken off.

Also, I get that he was pissed afterwards, but that little stunt with switching the numbers over was beneath him. He might be seeing an extra penalty applied for that.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Agreed. It was a bit controversial. I maintain that arguing about car control of the car as he is bouncing back on the track from grass isn't understanging that his mistake is the intial problem. Brundel arguing lewis has a brake too is pathetic. Seb has a brake too and a steering wheel and a brain. Ugh
    I hear you, but the point is not to punish Vettel for making a mistake but to apply discretion to the situation of how he re-entered the track.

That said, the stewards did a by the book decision.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 10th June 2019 at 00:31.
    William Shakespeare

Lewis Hamilton matches the 7 race wins of Michael Schumacher at this track.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    My intial thoughts were... Vet rejoining the track after his mistake was not unsafe at that precise moment.
    He could have chosen not to block Hamilton after rejoining the track but clearly chose to block him.

If I was the race steward I doubt I'd have penalised him but I can also see both sides of the argument.
    I guess he deserves a penalty IF the two components can be regarded as only one incident... but if you seperate them he doesn't. I see them as separate.