Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    The Seb/Lewis controversy isn't over , as the reds have claimed a right to review , believing they have new evidence .

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I can’t really see Ferrari getting anywhere with it or how they can reverse the result now. Were they to say to Seb you’ve now won, then Mercedes will just claim they would have pushed harder to get by Vettel and win it on track opposed to just sitting pretty behind him assured of the win.

Ferrari are just flogging a dead horse now.

3. Likes: N. Jones (18th June 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I can’t really see Ferrari getting anywhere with it or how they can reverse the result now. Were they to say to Seb you’ve now won, then Mercedes will just claim they would have pushed harder to get by Vettel and win it on track opposed to just sitting pretty behind him assured of the win.

Ferrari are just flogging a dead horse now.
    I get your point , but if they have new evidence that shows the red guy wasn't at fault , isn't a little unfair to not change the result ?

What I mean to say is , if it's clear , doesn't it degrade the win for the silver guy ?

It was clear to Seb in the dying laps , that he had to get a 5 second gap to win . He knew it , and couldn't .
    It was also clear that Lewis had to keep that gap under that amount , and did so , but with a few lockups on the way .
    This says to me , that Hamilton , in a car famous for being twitchy following others , at a circuit said to be as hard to pass at as Monaco , battling a car that had better top speed , driven by a 4 time world champion who had already kept him behind for many laps on a really hot day where the tires were graining on everybody , wasn't very likely to have gotten past Seb , even if highly motivated .

If it's a case of "clear" versus a "less likely scenario" , then isn't it just justice ?
    I'm not trying to be provocative .

5. Likes: Mia 01 (19th June 2019)
    Fair, in that case, would have been Mercedes to know the result would be thrown out and have had the opportunity to throw the kitchen sink at Ferrari. Whether he could have gotten past or not is really unknown. Mercedes will claim they pressured him into one mistake and reversing the penalty ensured they didn’t get the opportunity to do so a second time and, lets face it, given Vettel’s track record against Hamilton it’s highly likely that could have happened.

Ferrari have to suck this one up. Anything other than the official race result as it currently stands will just become even more humiliating for the sport. I give the review about a one in a billion chance of success for that reason alone.

Isn't it just a little humiliating for the sport to have the silver team win them all , even when they don't ?

That's the other side of the coin , if they really can prove what they say .
    Just sayin' .

Liked 1,075 Times in 601 Posts
    We've had controversy before and we will have controversy again.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    We've had controversy before and we will have controversy again.
    Deep as Davey's locker , Mr. Jones . Hee hee .

10. Likes: N. Jones (20th June 2019),Tazio (22nd June 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Isn't it just a little humiliating for the sport to have the silver team win them all , even when they don't ?

That's the other side of the coin , if they really can prove what they say .
    Just sayin' .
    Whatever they prove/argue Mercedes can counter it with their own. It’d be more humiliating to take the win off them now a couple of weeks later.

It’s up to the other teams to raise their game and challenge Mercedes.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    No, it states:

If any of the seven penalties above are imposed they shall not be subject to appeal.

It does not state:

If any of the seven penalties above are imposed they shall not be subject to appeal during the race.
    Apparently Ferrari believes the no appeal clause do not apply if the Stewards have made an apparent mistake. This is also a great argument against this clause. If there was an apparent error in the decision of the stewards, teams must be able to shed light on the error by providing proper evidence to demonstrate the fact.

Looking back now, it has become apparent that the regulations empowered the stewards with the right latitude of discretion to employ during the deliberation exercise. In this case, the stewards did not give the appropriate level of the benefit of the doubt to Vettel. On the face of it, the rules was applied correctly, but it was done harshly with very little margins. It was a punishment that the fans felt also very deeply, which is an indication to me that there was something wrong with how the penalty was dealt.

That said, any remedy is likely to also create a new problem. As you have alluded to, Mercedes would feel hard done by and challenge any decision to revert the win to Ferrari. Even if they let it go, it sets a problematic precedent. I don't know it there has ever been a situation where wins has been taken away after the ceremony and the race weekend is past.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st June 2019 at 14:22.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    This is a scenario I could see Ferrari taking to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.