Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
What about the penalty? For me it was the anti-racing, it robbed us of an exciting finale to the race. Cant help but feel that ordering Vettel to let Hamilton through would have been a far far superior decision.
Instead of Lewis just following him home within the 5 sec window... it would have given Seb the chance to come back at Lewis and it wouldnt have totally ruined the race.
I think that's what we need: the stewards need to have a sanction that will be immediately effected on-track (like giving up a position). The problem with time penalties is that if they're late in the race, the final order isn't going to be the order in which everybody passes the line, which I think is the root of all of the upset here.

To work, this would need to be something that the stewards decide on very quickly (like within one lap of the incident or something) and need to be effected by the driver within some short period, like a lap or two, or be converted automatically into a greater time penalty. You'd also need a requirement that DRS be disabled for the penalized driver for a lap or so, otherwise they'd just game the system by timing the switch to right before the detection zone.

Fair play to Lewis here, though; he could have just backed off and held the gap to less than 5 seconds, but he instead pushed aggressively to try to reel Vettel in and tried to win it on track.