Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I agree, it is time for the track layout of Monaco to change. They have to find a way to make it more like Baku with a long enough straight for the effects of DRS to facilitate overtakes. I did not see enough to suggest DRS was effective during the Monaco race.
    The only thing effective at Monaco is being in front.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    And good to be watching on the F1TV service, where you can select what audio you want, including switching off the commentary but still having the sounds from the track. Makes a huge difference when you don't have to constantly listen to "Crofty's" inane blatherings.
    Of late, l have to say l see your point. The point about commentary is to present an unbiased and objective view. Unfortunately, Crofty struggles with that concept sometimes. He appears to stir things up from a personal perspective sometimes which takes away from the better parts of his race time commentaries, which incidentally, he does very well most of the time. That said, l think he is still one of the best F1 commentators out there. I would prefer to listen to him above any other commentator out there.

But the possibility of switching all commentaries off and just watch the race with just the sound of the engine and the pit radio, is also a very desirable option. Hence, l envy you for that.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 27th May 2019 at 17:07.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

3. Likes: N4D13 (28th May 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    The only thing effective at Monaco is being in front.

I think if they get rid of the "Nouvelle" chicanes 10 and 11 and just have a straight from the tunnel to the Tabac corner, that would produce overtaking opportunities. At least DRS assisted overtakes which would make the race more lively.
    William Shakespeare

5. Likes: truefan72 (31st May 2019)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Anyone complaining about a lack of overtaking at Monaco needs their head checked. It’s always been that way since I can remember.

1988 the race where everyone claims Senna destroyed Prost in the race, conveniently forgetting that Prost was in third place behind Berger for 54 laps until he overtook him at Sainte-Dévote. That was 31 years ago. Prost couldn’t overtake then for 54 laps, Verstappen couldn’t overtake now for 67. So many examples of this, like Senna 93.

There had never been overtaking at Monaco. Watching Monaco and expecting much overtaking is a waste of your time and you should probably reset those expectations to something realistic.

7. Likes: Bagwan (28th May 2019)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    But the possibility of switching all commentaries off and just watch the race with just the sound of the engine and the pit radio, is also a very desirable option. Hence, l envy you for that.
    The bonus is that you can crank the volume up and you really hear not just the engine noise but the tyre noise. At a lot of tracks, you also get the occasional echoing sounds of the local announcer over the PA. Feels much more like actually being at the track.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Of late, l have to say l see your point. The point about commentary is to present an unbiased and objective view. Unfortunately, Crofty struggles with that concept sometimes. He appears to stir things up from a personal perspective sometimes which takes away from the better parts of his race time commentaries, which incidentally, he does very well most of the time. That said, l think he is still one of the best F1 commentators out there. I would prefer to listen to him above any other commentator out there.

Spot on. I used to think that the Spanish commentators were biased because, come on, they are Spanish and were cheering for Alonso the entire race. But for the last few years I have been watching streams from Sky commentary and it's pretty much the same stuff with Hamilton, or even more exaggerated sometimes. It's actually pretty disappointed.

Sometimes they even make me miss the German streams, from which I could only understand separate words, but at least I wouldn't notice if they were so biased.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Anyone complaining about a lack of overtaking at Monaco needs their head checked. It’s always been that way since I can remember.

1988 the race where everyone claims Senna destroyed Prost in the race, conveniently forgetting that Prost was in third place behind Berger for 54 laps until he overtook him at Sainte-Dévote. That was 31 years ago. Prost couldn’t overtake then for 54 laps, Verstappen couldn’t overtake now for 67. So many examples of this, like Senna 93.

There had never been overtaking at Monaco. Watching Monaco and expecting much overtaking is a waste of your time and you should probably reset those expectations to something realistic.
    There was some overtaking done at Monaco this year .
    I like the fact that DRS is useless in the principality .
    It makes a pass , often , into a breathtaking event , where both drivers must have talent to keep it from being a bone breaking event .

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    It makes a pass , often , into a breathtaking event , where both drivers must have talent to keep it from being a bone breaking event .
    There’s actually overtaking every year but complaining about of a lack of overtaking there... expectations need resetting then as it’s never had lots of overtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I see your point, but it makes the race a procession of fast cars. That is not racing. Baku has shown that it could be better, even on street tracks like Monaco. They just need to get their thinking caps on and be willing to change the layout of this historic track. I think with minor changes, it could produce some great racing.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Well that was interesting. And good to be watching on the F1TV service, where you can select what audio you want, including switching off the commentary but still having the sounds from the track. Makes a huge difference when you don't have to constantly listen to "Crofty's" inane blatherings; much more like the experience of being at the track, especially when you can turn up the audio. I watched the practice that way, but was watching the qualy on the TV. Might switch back to the streaming for the race.
    Several people told me how much I would enjoy Sky's F1 coverage versus Speed Channel-->NBCSports. Well, we're in the second season of ESPN piping Sky to us 'Muricans and enjoy is not exactly the word that comes to my mind. To be fair, I'm sure that it's a world better than anything that ESPN would have cobbled together in their studios (probably with Eddie Cheever and Danica Patrick doing the commentary). But especially last season, there was many a time when I'd just fast-forward through any segment where Crofty Clown and Kravitz Clown would begin talking about whether airplanes could land upside down if the landing gears were on top, or why water swirls down the drain differently in Australia than in the northern hemisphere. I do appreciate Anthony Davidson - Paul di Resta not so much. I've all but lost hope, so I just ignore Chandock. He's not terrible... and I'm sure that he means well. But overall: Every race weekend just reminds me of how much I miss Diffey (really, more Varsha), Hobbs and Matchett.

As soon as the bugs are better worked out of the F1TV service, Sky F1 is leaving my living room. Have you had many issues with it so far this season???
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

14. Likes: Duncan (1st June 2019)