Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    My issues are the commentary. The actual TV product is better. As much as I loved the Speed coverage (and miss the talking heads) the actual picture product is better. Did you see Indy? Or should I say did you see most of the race as the minimal part of the screen as ads ran almost all the time (gee, thanks NBC). So F1 could have been worse for sure.

Nice to see you again Jag, you've been away for a while.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Every race weekend just reminds me of how much I miss Diffey (really, more Varsha), Hobbs and Matchett.
    Agreed! I especially miss McMatchett, and Hobbs. doing color!
    May the forza be with you

3. Likes: truefan72 (31st May 2019)
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts

Close call for marshalls at Monaco

Wow... just wow. Saw this yesterday after not hearing anything about it. From the sounds of some of the audio tracks it really shook Perez up some, and rightly so.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...75ozebz5gd.mp4

Very surprising for Monaco, who has done this long enough to have their act together.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Wow... just wow. Saw this yesterday after not hearing anything about it. From the sounds of some of the audio tracks it really shook Perez up some, and rightly so.

Very surprising for Monaco, who has done this long enough to have their act together.
    Holy crap! That reminds me of Tom Pryce and the poor 19 year old marshall Jansen van Vuuren's at the 1977 South African GP which coinciding with his sad death last week was actually Niki’s first GP after his crash.

This video is not for the faint hearted:

https://youtu.be/q99k2r6GeS4

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Vettel crashes again in Monaco FP3. Thank God he is not a 5 time WDC. It’s bad enough that he is out there making mistakes week after week with 4 WDC’s to his name. Him as a 5 time WDC performing at this level would be embarrassing to the sport to the point of nearly intolerable.

There was a time I rated him as a top driver but now I think Ferrari should drop him. He is making more mistakes than Albon, Norris amd Russel combined. It might be the one lifeline to Ricciardo’s career. Ferrari drop Vettel and Ricciardo moves to Ferrari- I can potentially see that happening now.
    I seriously doubt Ferrari would drop a four times world champion and replace him with a driver with no championship title to his name. Impressive as Ricciado is, l think Ferrari would be gunning for Hamilton if they want to drop Vettel. The seat that Ferrari might consider Ricciado for is currently occupied by the brilliant Charles Leclec.

The thing about Vettel's mistakes is that, it is due to the car not being to his liking. I think the team is making just as many mistakes as Vettel anyway. Hence, why should they be penalizing their drivers if they cannot get their own act together. Taking a wider view of the situation, there is nothing embarrassing about Vettel's mistakes. They are consequential to Vettel trying to find the workable limits of the car. Vettel is quietly not comfortable with the Ferrari at the moment.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 31st May 2019 at 06:32.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: Duncan (1st June 2019),truefan72 (31st May 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post

Wow, that have would been a fatality without a doubt. It is crazy how really close the proximity of the car was to the marshall.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 31st May 2019 at 06:33.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Anyone complaining about a lack of overtaking at Monaco needs their head checked. It’s always been that way since I can remember.

1988 the race where everyone claims Senna destroyed Prost in the race, conveniently forgetting that Prost was in third place behind Berger for 54 laps until he overtook him at Sainte-Dévote. That was 31 years ago. Prost couldn’t overtake then for 54 laps, Verstappen couldn’t overtake now for 67. So many examples of this, like Senna 93.

There had never been overtaking at Monaco. Watching Monaco and expecting much overtaking is a waste of your time and you should probably reset those expectations to something realistic.
    its not about being unable to overtake someone. if the difference is small, it's difficult to overtake someone on every track.
    its about hamilton being close to 1,5 seconds a lap slower than the next 4 cars, due to the wrong tyres. thus slowing those down, and yet none of those even made an attempt to overtake.

it was not only verstappen that couldn't overtake a very slow hamilton, it was also a vettel that could overtake a very slow verstappen, bottas that couldn't overtake a very slow vettel and gasly that couldn't overtake a very slow bottas.
    and not only could they not do it, none of them even tried anything because they know it can't be done.

that kinda like prost would be stuck for the entire race behind patrese in the williams.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Wow, that have would been a fatality without a doubt. It is crazy how really close the proximity of the car was to the marshall.
    That's one of the things that makes being a marshal "interesting". Three possible causes for them being there at that moment: 1) Bad instructions from Race Control; 2) Bad instructions from the Station Senior; 3) Bad judgement on their part. We'll probably never know as that won't be published, and that's a shame as all the marshals around the world need that kind of info as part of their training and decision making process.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    I still don't understand how Ferrari managed to screw LeClerc in Q1. Is there some other explanation for not sending him out again when they 'think' he'll get through, other than saving a set of tyres? I can understand how at some other tracks an extra, fresh set of rubber can be an advantage, but this doesn't really apply at Monaco. At Monaco, you make 100% sure you are getting through qually and as far up the starting grid as possible. An extra set of fresh tyres for later in the race means nothing here. You can be on an old set of rags, even the wrong type of rags (as Hamilton proved) and you can still defend. That fresh sets means nothing, so why risk it if you're on the edge in Q1?
    Is there some other explanation that I'm missing?

12. Likes: Warriwa (11th June 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    I still don't understand how Ferrari managed to screw LeClerc in Q1. Is there some other explanation for not sending him out again when they 'think' he'll get through, other than saving a set of tyres? I can understand how at some other tracks an extra, fresh set of rubber can be an advantage, but this doesn't really apply at Monaco. At Monaco, you make 100% sure you are getting through qually and as far up the starting grid as possible. An extra set of fresh tyres for later in the race means nothing here. You can be on an old set of rags, even the wrong type of rags (as Hamilton proved) and you can still defend. That fresh sets means nothing, so why risk it if you're on the edge in Q1?
    Is there some other explanation that I'm missing?
    I think l have seen enough to say that Ferrari made a huge mistake getting rid of Arrivabene. This season the engine has stepped forward, but everything else seem to have either stepped backwards or has remained the same. Of course there is the argument to give Binotto a season or two to bed in his ideas. But at the same time, one wants to see obvious improvements in operational areas where repeat errors become obvious. They just seem to make the same mistakes over and over. And seem to find new ways to make the same mistakes.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 31st May 2019 at 17:05.
    William Shakespeare

14. Likes: Duncan (1st June 2019)