Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

W-Series - Hockenhiem 2019

The WSeries kicked off in Hockenheim as a support race for the DTM series. This was the first race of a six races season. It was a race in wet conditions which tested the drivers. Especially those new to single seater racing. Thus, there was one crash to spice up the entertainment with no injuries thankfully. Apart from that, there were proper racing battles at all parts of the race.

Britain's Jamie Chadwick took pole with a 2 seconds gap to the rest of the field.

After a run off the track at the sixth corner at the start of the race, Chadwick fought her way to the front to claim an historic victory. This race showed all the promise of being a serious racing event worthy of being a support race for F1, if proper funding can be found. It is short enough for it not disrupt the schedule of the weekend. Especially if the race is on saturday before the F2 race or possibly on friday to increase attendance to the free practise day.

Watch the full race here and read about it here https://www.motorsport.com/w-series/...-race/4381455/
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd May 2019 at 18:32.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Tazio (10th May 2019)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Unfortunately the organizers seem to be determined to make sure that nobody in the US can watch it.

Understandable that there's no TV deal yet, but why intentionally geoblock the YouTube version and Twitter livestream? They won't even let us see any highlights of the race. For those of us in the US, the YouTube video is replaced with a post-race walk around the paddock. Not even a single second of anything on-track. There is literally no available option to see any of it.

This does not bode well at all.

4. Likes: truefan72 (14th May 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Unfortunately the organizers seem to be determined to make sure that nobody in the US can watch it.

Understandable that there's no TV deal yet, but why intentionally geoblock the YouTube version and Twitter livestream? They won't even let us see any highlights of the race. For those of us in the US, the YouTube video is replaced with a post-race walk around the paddock. Not even a single second of anything on-track. There is literally no available option to see any of it.

I don't think they have completed their media deals and negotiation. The race was televised anywhere as far as l know. The US is a huge market for this series, hence l expect it would be available to US audience soon.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: truefan72 (14th May 2019)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

I really did try to watch it to no avail. Nothing on twitter, or facebook, my usual "sources"(cough...reddit) didn't even have it as an option. It was beyond frustrating and i gave up.
    It was a shambolic inaugural event. I heard even in the markets they were televised in, problems were abound.
    One would think that prioritising broadcasting and viewership would be top of their list.
    Also, the races are too short and I heard the timing displays were malfunctioning.
    In many ways, the race format seems to be more condescending than beneficial to these women.
    There's gotta be some changes made quick
    you can't argue with results.

8. Likes: Duncan (14th May 2019)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I don't think they have completed their media deals and negotiation. The race was televised anywhere as far as l know. The US is a huge market for this series, hence l expect it would be available to US audience soon.
    Hope so, but they could have chosen to make at least highlights available right now. No revenue in that, of course, but you would think that audience building might be a priority at this stage of the development of a new series.

10. Likes: truefan72 (15th May 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    I really did try to watch it to no avail. Nothing on twitter, or facebook, my usual "sources"(cough...reddit) didn't even have it as an option. It was beyond frustrating and i gave up.
    It was a shambolic inaugural event. I heard even in the markets they were televised in, problems were abound.
    One would think that prioritising broadcasting and viewership would be top of their list.
    Also, the races are too short and I heard the timing displays were malfunctioning.
    In many ways, the race format seems to be more condescending than beneficial to these women.
    There's gotta be some changes made quick
    I quite agree, it was a poor start to what is suppose to be a historic event. There is no point having a women series if vast audiences cannot watch it. I heard they were struggling to make media deals for some reason. But they could have made more effort to put it out there for interested people to watch it. I was shocked to hear that you chaps in the US cannot view the youtube film of the race. That is not clever.

I noticed as well that the start light was somewhat unceremonious. All the lights bearly all lite up before they all went out. Though there were indications after the race that the start light had malfunctioned. It seemed suspect to me. It worked very well for the DTM race mind you.

I hope this is not the experience that these female racers are going to experience throughout this season.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 19th May 2019 at 11:45.
    William Shakespeare

12. Likes: truefan72 (16th May 2019)
    Williams signs Jamie Chadwick as a development driver. If you have doubts of the WSeries as a serious racing series, think again. The points leader of the series has landed a F1 deal. The WSeries has innate potential to advance women in the world of racing and this is just a start.
    William Shakespeare

14. Likes: Tazio (21st May 2019)