Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I watched a youtube podcast recently that suggested that Ricciado was duped into signing for Renault. One could have made the same statement about Hamilton's first year at Mercedes. Though, That particular Mercedes car was showing more signs of a growth spur compared to the 2019 Renault car. At the moment, Renault is the laughing stock of the paddock with their engine reliability issues and chassis that is not looking like it has made the apropriate step forward to be in that coveted fourth best team position.

The teams that we thought should be in that position are also struggling with one thing or the other. Haas for instance have a Tyre gremlin that seem to come and go on race day. Torro Ross is not consistent for some reason. And Alfa Romeo, seem to be dealing with some sort of issue as well. As it stands at the moment, Mclaren has stepped up to the fourth place position. But can they hang on to it till Abu Dhabi?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th May 2019 at 16:58.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Ricciardo made his decision and he’s going to have to live with it. He has made it clear on a number of occasions that he will go where the money is big because he has some undeserved sense of entitlement to be earning the same amount of money as drivers whom have won WDC’s. I’ve heard Mercedes were willing to take him but that he wouldn’t entertain a move to any team for less than €33 million and they wouldn’t pay him that when he wasn’t WDC. He’s a money boy.

And he also stated very clearly that his decision was motivated by a deep desire for change.

I think a third factor for him moving was he knew he couldn’t live with Max any longer.

There is no secret duping going on with his move to Renault and any suggestion otherwise is just piss talk.

It has been clear the Renault team is going nowhere for a longtime now and he simply didn’t care. So tough on Danny but he’ll have to suffer the consequences of his actions and greed.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    You're one of the most clueless people I've experienced on the web. You and a few of the deranged Hamilton fanboys you see on the F1 fb page.

There's no underserved sense of entitlement. Ricciardo is a driver of the highest calibre, and everyone knows that. He's either the best or marginally the 2nd best driver overall since the turbos have come out (Hamilton has had his stats padded due to having a better car than him for all that time). That's what bother you about him, he's a genuine threat had he been in the same car as Hamilton (It must be hard having to bite your tongue over Bottas atm?)

As far as knowing he could live with Verstappen any longer, that's more horse ****. (It may be difficult living with a team favouring the Verstappen though?)

Fun fact about 2018. In the races they both finished, so that's accounting for mechanical problems and dnfs through driver error (their own or at the effect of others), Ricciardo outscored Verstappen 158-141.

You heard MB were willing to take him? That's BS as well, because they weren't getting rid of Bottas regardless of how his performances were perceived last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I watched a youtube podcast recently that suggested that Ricciado was duped into signing for Renault. One could have made the same statement about Hamilton's first year at Mercedes. Though, That particular Mercedes car was showing more signs of a growth spur compared to the 2019 Renault car. At the moment, Renault is the laughing stock of the paddock with their engine reliability issues and chassis that is not looking like it has made the apropriate step forward to be in that coveted fourth best team position.

The teams that we thought should be in that position are also struggling with one thing or the other. Haas for instance have a Tyre gremlin that seem to come and go on race day. Torro Ross is not consistent for some reason. And Alfa Romeo, seem to be having dealing with some sort of issue as well. As it stands at the moment, Mclaren has stepped up to the fourth place position. But can they hang on to it till Abu Dhabi?
    Ricciardo was duped into signing for a factory team and be the one of the highest paid drivers? I don't think so.

No one could've made the same statement about MB. They were the only ones that had built a hybrid turbo and were always going to be the best team (Because of that, they were also going to stop supporting McLaren). Even if F1 stuch with the normally aspirated engines, they would've been challenging for the title in 2014.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Ricciardo was in negotiations with Mercedes last year and the reason contract negotiations went south was because of his salary demands. Ricciardo came out to the media then stating that he never really felt that Mercedes were serious about negotiations but Mercedes were considering replacing him for Bottas. It’s his own fault he is not in a MB right now and due to money. Tough on poor greedy Danny.

And whether he is of the highest calibre driver or not is irrelevant - without a WDC he doesn’t deserve to be paid as much as a WDC- but his undeserved sense of entitlement and greed brought him to Renault due to money where, I suspect, his career is now going to plummet and he’ll eventually leave F1 with maybe one or two podiums more than he has now. No top team will take him and meet his salary demands without a WDC to his name.

I’m afraid you misread the Bottas situation - I like Bottas and would be delighted to see him put it up to the boss. Unlike you though, I’m not as clueless and willing (or desperate) to simply judge him capable of a season long title challenge just because he finally managed some good results in a row. I guess that explains why you like Ricciardo though, 7 race wins and he’s a genius even though his teammate buried him lol.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 14th May 2019 at 11:06.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I was expecting something special from Leclerc at this race but it did not materialize this weekend.
    Well. once again the strategy from the race engineers did him no favors. P3 was on the cards for him if they had let him get bye vettel sooner.
    Then they inexplicably put him on hards instead of mediums. After the safety car, i wouldn't be surprised if they told him to hold station.
    to be fair...they also compromised Vettel's race too.

you can't argue with results.

6. Likes: airshifter (16th May 2019),Duncan (20th May 2019),N. Jones (20th May 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    You're one of the most clueless people I've experienced on the web. You and a few of the deranged Hamilton fanboys you see on the F1 fb page.

There's no underserved sense of entitlement. Ricciardo is a driver of the highest calibre, and everyone knows that. He's either the best or marginally the 2nd best driver overall since the turbos have come out (Hamilton has had his stats padded due to having a better car than him for all that time). That's what bother you about him, he's a genuine threat had he been in the same car as Hamilton (It must be hard having to bite your tongue over Bottas atm?)

As far as knowing he could live with Verstappen any longer, that's more horse ****. (It may be difficult living with a team favouring the Verstappen though?)

Fun fact about 2018. In the races they both finished, so that's accounting for mechanical problems and dnfs through driver error (their own or at the effect of others), Ricciardo outscored Verstappen 158-141.

You heard MB were willing to take him? That's BS as well, because they weren't getting rid of Bottas regardless of how his performances were perceived last year.

Ricciardo was duped into signing for a factory team and be the one of the highest paid drivers? I don't think so.

No one could've made the same statement about MB. They were the only ones that had built a hybrid turbo and were always going to be the best team (Because of that, they were also going to stop supporting McLaren). Even if F1 stuch with the normally aspirated engines, they would've been challenging for the title in 2014.
    Even a Ricciado fanboy like yourself would admit Renault has under-delivered to the promise they made to Ricciado. Renault has fallen off their progression curve by a steep margin. Ricciado looks rattled and ordinary in the Renault car. And we know he is capable of much more. It also goes to show how under estimated Hulkenburg is as a driver.

Can Renault recover? Probably! But their package seem weak. The engine has become the third best engine behind the much criticized Honda engine. Their chassis seem to have a terminal flaw that makes it difficult to get the most out of their own engine. I have a feeling they would write off this season and try again in 2020. I also have a feeling that Ricciado would be jumping ship at the earliest opportunity. Where to, remain to be seen. Mercedes and Ferrari may be out of the question. A Redbull return may be very unlikely but remotely possible if Gasly fails to get to Verstapenn's pace by the end of the season.

Unfortunately, it is looking like Ricciado made a bad call. Unless Renault finds something that takes them two steps forward.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th May 2019 at 16:58.
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: Tazio (21st May 2019)
    Even a Ricciado fanboy like yourself would admit Renault has under-delivered to the promise they made to Ricciado. Renault has fallen off their progression curve by a steep margin. Ricciado looks rattled and ordinary in the Renault car. And we know he is capable of much more. It also goes to show how under estimated Hulkenburg is as a driver.
    What were you expecting from Ricciardo and Renault this year?

From Ricciardo, I would've expected at least 3 5-8th place finishes by now and even qualifying stats.

He's made errors that have been costly (when he hadn't before). It's not good for the moment, but it won't matter if he gets on a roll with points finishes later in the season.

Head to head against Hulkenberg, he's done better than I expected. But it won't matter if Hulkenberg gets on a roll later in the season.

Unfortunately, it is looking like Ricciado made a bad call. Unless Renault finds something that takes them two steps forward.
    I'm not sure about TBK's post is an accurate (But it is intriguing). When you move teams, ideally you'd move up. But I think in Ricciardo's case, moving down to Renault is still better than staying at RB. I think he's backing himself to increase his reputation by the end of this current contract.

I'll respond to TBK's post later, once I do some searching.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    But I think in Ricciardo's case, moving down to Renault is still better than staying at RB. I think he's backing himself to increase his reputation by the end of this current contract.
    Based on the form of Renault, I think Ricciado should have stayed in Redbull where he had the car to showcase his talent for the 2021 driver market. As it stands in Renault, he is looking very second rate due to a second rate car.

But l hear you, Ricciado is optimisitic, but that is based on a deep hope that Renault can come good on their promise to him. I can't see it in 2019, but there is a chance they could pull it together in 2020.
    William Shakespeare

If he stays at Renault. It's not about Verstappen, cos he can get Verstappen. It's about the slightest hint of RB favouring Verstappen, which affects results.

If he just does a little bit better than what Renault did previously, that'll still make him look good. Particularly if the other RB doesn't match Verstappen.