Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    How convenient that Oleg Gross made just an hour before Rally Estonia press conference a statement that he will personally pay for the fee.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
    I think the damage was done, RE organizers let them know that this is not how we will continue and we are going to cancel the event. Then to save his own ass, mr Gross told ok, I'm going to pay this fee for you because I love autosport SO much. But decisions were made already beforehand and no way back.

Really really sad day for Estonian Autosport, the greed of people possibly destroyed our dream of a WRC event in the near future when Tänak is still one of the fastest. It was slim before this, this is none now.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    Isn't he part of the group that proposed the fee?!

How ludicrous...
    Yes indeed!

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    I think the damage was done, RE organizers let them know that this is not how we will continue and we are going to cancel the event. Then to save his own ass, mr Gross told ok, I'm going to pay this fee for you because I love autosport SO much. But decisions were made already beforehand and no way back.

Really really sad day for Estonian Autosport, the greed of people possibly destroyed our dream of a WRC event in the near future when Tänak is still one of the fastest. It was slim before this, this is none now.
    This is exactly how I think. They knew, this Gross public statement was a PR trick to save some face, nothing else.

4. Likes: flat_right (26th February 2020)
    Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    Isn't he part of the group that proposed the fee?!

How ludicrous...
    He is part of it! They saw an opportunity to get money to their budget and went full stupid.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    The ironic thing is that Autoglym rally also announced just a week ago that they're not going to run this year, so there's no test event for Rally Finland in plans. One can only speculate whether Autoglym's decision had something to do with Rally Estonia getting all the big names for the last two years.

7. Likes: cali (26th February 2020),COD (27th February 2020),pantealex (26th February 2020),Rallyper (26th February 2020)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    The ironic thing is that Autoglym rally also announced just a week ago that they're not going to run this year, so there's no test event for Rally Finland in plans. One can only speculate whether Autoglym's decision had something to do with Rally Estonia getting all the big names for the last two years.
    Ok. So then they cancelled it tooearly.
    However planning rallies needs more than 6 months. So decision already made last autumn, maybe.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

9. Likes: abcrally (27th February 2020)
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Ok. So then they cancelled it tooearly.
    However planning rallies needs more than 6 months. So decision already made last autumn, maybe.
    Correct. Autoglym Rally didn't even have plans to run the event in 2020 as last autumn they didn't request the slot from the calendar.

11. Likes: AnttiL (27th February 2020),Rallyper (27th February 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by abcrally View Post
    Correct. Autoglym Rally didn't even have plans to run the event in 2020 as last autumn they didn't request the slot from the calendar.
    But still most likely the decision was made after running last year's event.

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    The problem with Autoglym was that it was very different character compared to NORF. I have talked to some teams who took part and they were not happy with the "test conditions." One of the team boss even told that it was so strange that Rally in Finland was so different to NORF while RE was very similar to NORF and much better for test (he had cars in both rallies).
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

14. Likes: AnttiL (27th February 2020),cali (27th February 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluuford View Post
    The problem with Autoglym was that it was very different character compared to NORF. I have talked to some teams who took part and they were not happy with the "test conditions." One of the team boss even told that it was so strange that Rally in Finland was so different to NORF while RE was very similar to NORF and much better for test (he had cars in both rallies).
    Wow, I'm surprised to hear this. I mean, I knew that the roads in the Autoglym ralli area are a bit different in character to Jyväskylä, but it's surprising that Rally Estonia is considered more similar.

16. Likes: abcrally (27th February 2020)