Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,504 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    He is impressive here.

Then again this is the kind of roads he drives since starting with R5. WRC runs on many different road types. This is the first time I have seen his footage over more than a corner or two and it looks quite ragged to me. Some corners great but some with tons of corrections and all over the place.
    What you talking about? It's his second ever gravel rally on R5. And he progress massively! On first two events in LRC Gorban can match his speed and they fight for a win in two snow rally at Aluksne and Sarma. But in Liepaja and here in Estonia he destroy Gorban times!
    It's massive progress since last year and beginning of this year for him!

Liked 1,504 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauri_J View Post
    it's a wide lens or really 70+m jumps ? O_o

Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
    Air time looks too short for 70 m.

Liked 801 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    it's a wide lens or really 70+m jumps ? O_o
    yeah, with a GoPro...My guess was around 60m. Could be more or less, but 50 for sure. Hard to determine with no distance boards.

5. Likes: KKS (13th July 2019)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    I dunno about Gryazin tbh. He has his "Russian driver" moments...like Lukyanuk and Novikov before that. What I mean by that is moments like he had in first stage, going so much over the limit at a given place that you wonder if he missed a note. (Novikov often just ignored the notes, like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCmc7SRvo38 )
    Are there other examples than the first stage today?

7. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (14th July 2019)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    New Fiesta R5 looks a little lazy/tame to me.

9. Likes: KKS (13th July 2019)
    Liked 189 Times in 74 Posts
    Many estonians were hoping that Märtin will be something like Loeb from now on - close to top guys pace, stealing stage wins here and there. Based on his pace today, but much more based on his comments during last few days and today - IMHO its clear that its not going to happen. Loeb has always been racing since he left WRC, so coming back isnt so big thing for him. Märtin has done handful of for-fun events on some vintage 2wd cars over the years and thats it. It is hard to judge if he has the speed or if he could challenge todays top guys - as based on his comments he has made it clear that he doesnt even want to try. He has said that this car can be driven much faster but he doesnt want to. Also, his comments of hoping the day was already over, having doubts if this was a good idea in the first place etc - it seems that he doesnt have this competitors urge to best others any more. He is having fun at his own pace and when he feels like he has had enough for a day, he would like to go home, but rally isnt unfortunately over yet. I guess we can forget this hope that he will make some small comeback and be competitive, more likely this is last time he will be seen in WRC car. He has moved on and driving at speed isnt his "thing" any more.

About other competitors - behind obviously amazing Solberg, i am very happy about Aus. He is doing his first ever event in R5 and his pace isnt bad at all. That brings to my mind another "what if" moment - Aus is contemporary with Tänak, they were 2 blindingly fast youngsters some 15 years ago, in many ways equal back then. But when Tänak moved on to faster cars and then abroad, Aus was stuck on Lada VFTS and later some mediocre N4 machinery, then missing big parts of seasons in domestic championships, never really going abroad - but what if he had same opportunities, would he have been as fast as Tänak today? Obviously we can never know...
    Last edited by Indreq; 14th July 2019 at 00:24.

11. Likes: Aquagen (15th July 2019),cali (14th July 2019),dnb (14th July 2019),EstWRC (14th July 2019),KKS (14th July 2019),Rally Hokkaido (14th July 2019),Tauri_J (14th July 2019),tr4m (14th July 2019)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indreq View Post
    Many estonians were hoping that Märtin will be something like Loeb from now on - close to top guys pace, stealing stage wins here and there. Based on his pace today, but much more based on his comments during last few days and today - IMHO its clear that its not going to happen. Loeb has always been racing since he left WRC, so coming back isnt so big thing for him. Märtin has done handful of for-fun events on some vintage 2wd cars over the years and thats it. It is hard to judge if he has the speed or if he could challenge todays top guys - as based on his comments he has made it clear that he doesnt even want to try. He has said that this car can be driven much faster but he doesnt want to. Also, his comments of hoping the day was already over, having doubts if this was a good idea in the first place etc - it seems that he doesnt have this competitors urge to best others any more. He is having fun at his own pace and when he feels like he has had enough for a day, he would like to go home, but rally isnt unfortunately over yet. I guess we can forget this hope that he will make some small comeback and be competitive, more likely this is last time he will be seen in WRC car. He has moved on and driving at speed isnt his "thing" any more.

About other competitors - behind obviously amazing Solberg, i am very happy about Aus. He is doing his first ever event in R5 and his pace isnt bad at all. That brings to my mind another "what if" moment - Aus is contemporary with Tänak, they were 2 blindingly fast youngsters some 15 years ago, in many ways equal back then. But when Tänak moved on to faster cars and then abroad, Aus was stuck on Lada VFTS and later some mediocre N4 machinery, then missing big parts of seasons in domestic championships, never really going abroad - but what if he had same opportunities, would he have been as fast as Tänak today? Obviously we can never know...
    People has too high hopes about him. The ever realistic way was mentioned already that if he tops best R5 crews the job has to be considered well done. There's just no way you return after 15 years away and would battle with the top guys. Just no way. Going faster also increases the risk of going off significantly.
    For me Märtin has been just on the expected level. I guess I was the few estonians who did not have some unrealistic wet dreams about his performance level.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

13. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (14th July 2019)
    Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    People has too high hopes about him. The ever realistic way was mentioned already that if he tops best R5 crews the job has to be considered well done. There's just no way you return after 15 years away and would battle with the top guys. Just no way. Going faster also increases the risk of going off significantly.
    For me Märtin has been just on the expected level. I guess I was the few estonians who did not have some unrealistic wet dreams about his performance level.

I suppose, but purely speculate, that he might have lost his edge in his accident in 2005. Maybe he's scared of pushing the limits like before.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    I suppose, but purely speculate, that he might have lost his edge in his accident in 2005. Maybe he's scared of pushing the limits like before.
    That's quite visible on the stages and obviously understandable