Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Gasly dog of the race IMO. Though Renault lost both cars and Ricciardo had a strange strategy move, I think RB are probably already wishing they either managed to keep Daniel on, or found a better driver to replace him. Only time will tell.
    Yes, something is clearly not right there. Gasly's performances have for sure not been not up to where they should be, which is curious given his prior performance in the Toro Rosso. He has alluded to issues with grip, and especially getting the tyres into the right zone. Sounds like some major issues getting to grips with the setup in the new car. Hopefully he and his race engineer can sort this out, because he's definitely a talented driver.

Also, Kimi: I was literally laughing out loud at the exchange he had with his engineer about front wing damage. Ice Man is still the Ice Man... classic Kimi.

2. Likes: Mia 01 (2nd April 2019),N. Jones (1st April 2019),truefan72 (1st April 2019)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Yes, something is clearly not right there. Gasly's performances have for sure not been not up to where they should be, which is curious given his prior performance in the Toro Rosso. He has alluded to issues with grip, and especially getting the tyres into the right zone. Sounds like some major issues getting to grips with the setup in the new car. Hopefully he and his race engineer can sort this out, because he's definitely a talented driver.

Also, Kimi: I was literally laughing out loud at the exchange he had with his engineer about front wing damage. Ice Man is still the Ice Man... classic Kimi.
    Gasly has setup issues. He was complaining that the car snaps to the right whenever he tries to put the power down. I would not cast the blame on Gastly yet, but certainly his engineers are not doing a good job for him.

I think we all know Gasly is faster than he is showing at the moment.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Gasly has setup issues. He was complaining that the car snaps to the right whenever he tries to put the power down. I would not cast the blame on Gastly yet, but certainly his engineers are not doing a good job for him.

I think we all know Gasly is faster than he is showing at the moment.
    RBR have gone all in on team Verstappen to the detriment of everything else and it shows.
    They can't setup Gasly's car. can't figure out a qualy strategy for him and usually have a shaite race strategy for him too. They can't even get a pit stop right for him.
    It's a mess over there and I blame Horner for the culture of ineptitude over there.
    They totally screwed Ricciardo in the 2nd half of last year and really don't give a crap about Gasly either. He was brought in to be a stooge for verstappen and so far it is playing out exactly as I predicted.
    And while we are on it, thet FIA should really look into how the STR team is being managed. (or lack of it)
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    RBR have gone all in on team Verstappen to the detriment of everything else and it shows.
    They can't setup Gasly's car. can't figure out a qualy strategy for him and usually have a shaite race strategy for him too. They can't even get a pit stop right for him.
    It's a mess over there and I blame Horner for the culture of ineptitude over there.
    They totally screwed Ricciardo in the 2nd half of last year and really don't give a crap about Gasly either. He was brought in to be a stooge for verstappen and so far it is playing out exactly as I predicted.
    And while we are on it, thet FIA should really look into how the STR team is being managed. (or lack of it)
    I hope this is not the case. If it is, then they are doing a fine job of screwing the career of a driver that many think is world championship winning material. What we seeing at the moment looks ugly to say the least. Two races in a row those crap Redbull engineers could not setup his car right. I did say if he got Ricciados engineers, he is f**ked, that is looking like the case.

The engineers on that side of the garage are notoriously shite. They screwed Ricciado of a win Monaco if you remember. Ricciados setup was hit and miss most of 2018. It looks like they have the trainee engineers on that side of the garage.

It is not surprising that Gasly has ended up where we typically found Ricciado in 2018.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 1st April 2019 at 19:43.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: truefan72 (1st April 2019)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Gasly has been very inconsistent even last year. Terrible on his debut in Melbourne, great in Bahrain, nowhere in China, the list goes on...
    Also, it's not the sole responsibilty of the engineers to set up the car, AFAIK the driver has something to do with it as well. Ricciardo may have been "unlucky" last year, but he was fast. Gasly so far is nowhere near where DR was last year.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

8. Likes: truefan72 (1st April 2019)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Gasly has been very inconsistent even last year. Terrible on his debut in Melbourne, great in Bahrain, nowhere in China, the list goes on...
    Also, it's not the sole responsibilty of the engineers to set up the car, AFAIK the driver has something to do with it as well. Ricciardo may have been "unlucky" last year, but he was fast. Gasly so far is nowhere near where DR was last year.
    Those are solid points too. The shenanigans with the team don't help though. But you are right that gasly wasn't that impressive last year either. TBH they would have been better off with kvyatt in that seat. Or Ocon wherlein or even VanDoorne. But they insist on their driver program that has cannibalized its own drivers and probably ruined more careers than developed.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    I can’t agree with you on this.

Can you point out to me how Ricciardo was screwed by RBR last year? And the claim they would prioritise one driver over the other so early in the season, it just doesn’t make sense for any team to do that. He has had two unlucky races. I can’t really see it as much more than that right now.

Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    I'm ready to write off Kubica as he is definitely not a long term solution. Gasly on the other hand. He looks out of his depth. Do we need to give him more time?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    The Bahrain GP was a really good race. I thoroughly enjoyed it although with Liverpool and Spurs on at the same time it was hard to catch them both.

I’m not convinced that we’re seeing a new Bottas at all this year. He had a good race in Oz but it’s hard to know how good he really was given Lewis’s problems. A great start to the race to get second but made a mistake and lost it. Being almost 30 seconds behind your teammate is pretty shocking. He apparently had a plastic bag stuck in his front wing for some of the race so we can forgive him maybe 10 seconds of that but the rest is pure pace to Lewis which is pretty awful given he had no other issues. Jury out on where he really stands this year still but based on what we’ve seen so far, I don’t hold my breath that he’s going to be a huge improvement over last year.

What to say about Vettel? He has a real problem in close combat, he keeps spinning. What’s more now is that other drivers know his weakness so they are going to have a go at him being comfortable in the knowledge that there's a good chance he’ll either concede or eventually spin. I think Lewis has his number and it showed in the overtakes Lewis tried to do. I don’t think he would have attempted around the corner of turn 4 last year but he knew he could push him into a mistake and he did. Leclerc also had Vettel's number this weekend, which didn’t surprise me too much. It’s going to be a headache for Ferrari this year. I think Leclerc can outperform Vettel, if not this year, then definitely next year over the course of the season, so what Ferrari will do is going to be interesting to watch. And Leclerc ignored team orders to pass as well so it seems. He was supposed to stay behind for another two laps and passed at the end of the straight. I think Ferrari would have left him go by anyway given the pace differential so it wasn’t a huge deal, Vettel was just much slower than him.

Ferrari could have reliability issues. They have made a super quick car but appear to have pushed the envelope of performance vs reliability a little too far which could explain their lack of Australia pace and one of their cars not finishing the race. Interested to see how that one pans out over the course of the season but, given the reliability of Mercedes and all other teams nowadays, multiple DNF’s will cost you a championship and potentially allow RBR to overtake them in championship too if the reliability is very poor.

Renault - how much bad luck can you have? Hopefully they will come back. Hulkenberg and Ricciardo seems like it’s going to be an interesting pairing to watch.

Finally, good race from Kimi. He’s been super consistent in the Alfa Romeo and done a top job so far.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 2nd April 2019 at 19:55.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    lol