Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it possible to have a street legal build to weekend AND race?

So I'm not worried about being competitive at all, just looking to have a good time on track, and on weekends. Also before comments start piling in, 'just get seat time', I know, preaching to the choir but I have some money to spend on this and I'd like something a bit more sporty than stock engine on the miata.

So are there any clubs in the mid-Atlantic with more open classes that would allow me to slowly build out this car over a few years? The suspension on it now is shot, so I'll be starting with spings/ and struts in a few months. Unless I keep it stock this will already class me out of our Showroom Stock Miata class ( NA miata's actually stock + roll bar, very, very cheap) which I was interested in.
    Nox VidMate Mobdro

Beyond that, over time, I very much plan to ruin this car by putting in an ls1/ls3, upgraded drive train etc. I don't necessarily want to have to buy parts to class into 1 series, which I might be leaving in a few years. However, as you can tell I'm pretty novice, have no real clear idea how that would evolve over years of racing.

I'm ranting and haven't had coffee. What do folks think about maintaining a street legal build and what series should I look at.
    Last edited by Babu; 28th March 2019 at 20:15.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    We have the perfect place for you. The Washington DC region of SCCA races at Summit Point. In addition to all of the regular SCCA classes we have one called "Bracket IT" - that's the one for you. (www.wdcr-scca.org/bracket-racing) Any closed wheel car with any motor or tires or mods. You will have to have SCCA legal safety equipment - roll bar, harness, etc. and you will have to have a SCCA competition permit or equivalent. If you'll contact the DC Region's club office they will help you get information on getting a competition license.

The bracket racing class is designed for those who want to race but don't have a GCR compliant car. Any motor, any tire, any suspension is the rule. You race against others in your bracket and as you (or your car) get faster you'll move up to the next highest bracket. No tech inspection except for safety equipment and no disqualification for illegal mods.

Last edited by Starter; 26th March 2019 at 17:38.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    I don't know much about US historic racing. I understand they are more, shall we say, flexible about originality than Britain or Australia, where CAMS do not accept any changes at all.

Is it worth going to a couple of local SCCA meetings and asking the competitors? You'll probably get a clearer picture than you'll get from officialdom.

Have fun - After all that's the object of the exercise.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post
    So I'm not worried about being competitive at all, just looking to have a good time on track, and on weekends. Also before comments start piling in, 'just get seat time', I know, preaching to the choir but I have some money to spend on this and I'd like something a bit more sporty than Dafont Showbox Adam4adam stock engine on the miata.

So are there any clubs in the mid-Atlantic with more open classes that would allow me to slowly build out this car over a few years? The suspension on it now is shot, so I'll be starting with spings/ and struts in a few months. Unless I keep it stock this will already class me out of our Showroom Stock Miata class ( NA miata's actually stock + roll bar, very, very cheap) which I was interested in.
    Nox VidMate Mobdro

Beyond that, over time, I very much plan to ruin this car by putting in an ls1/ls3, upgraded drive train etc. I don't necessarily want to have to buy parts to class into 1 series, which I might be leaving in a few years. However, as you can tell I'm pretty novice, have no real clear idea how that would evolve over years of racing.

I'm ranting and haven't had coffee. What do folks think about maintaining a street legal build and what series should I look at.
    I don't know much about US historic racing. I understand they are more, shall we say, flexible about originality than Britain or Australia, where CAMS do not accept any changes at all.
    Last edited by ARSO; 14th July 2019 at 20:43.