Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts

Charlie Whiting dies

Charlie Whiting has died of a pulmonary embolism.

I was never a fan of him as race director but am exceptionally sad to see this happen to a man still relatively young that gave so much to F1.

RIP Charlie.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I honestly thought this was a sick prank, l raced off to Sky sport's web site to find it was not. I am shocked and perplexed when l wonder who can fill such a huge shoes left by his departure. Like Bernie, they would need at least three people to fulfill his role. He would always be remembered whenever we see the lights at the start of every Grandprix. We had this conversation last year or in 2017 about whether people are being trained to pick up the task when such colossal individuals of F1 such as Charlie Whiting when they depart the sport. Now we are faced with that very situation.

RIP Charlie
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Michael Masi will take Charlie Whiting's place for Melbourne. Masi is a very experienced steward (though no one can really replace Whiting) and has acted as an assistant at several of the F1 rounds. There will definitely be a hole there, but there are a number of experienced people who can step in for the short term. No announcement of a permanent replacement at this writing.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Sad to see him gone. Though I think it's safe to say I didn't always agree with the approach on certain track limits calls, he made his decisions and stuck by them. He became part of every race in a low profile type of way often, but had to make calls that many would have failed at IMO.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    RIP. The end of an era in F1.

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Very sad to hear and the minute silence for him was nice (along with the shooting).
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I like many world wide, will always miss not seeing that white haired guy, and not seeing him start a F1 race.....RIP Charlie!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    His job was akin to herding a bunch of moody cats. So I thought that he did a good job overall and I also missed seeing him this past weekend.

R.I.P.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    His job was akin to herding a bunch of moody cats. So I thought that he did a good job overall and I also missed seeing him this past weekend.

R.I.P.
    I just felt he lacked the strength to make the big calls when the chips were down really. But I’d agree that, other than that, he did pretty well.