Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just watch the Formula 1 series on Netflix and...

I’m now a fan of the sport. I never really realized all that went in to the sport. The different budgets, engines, chassis, drivers and tracks. Seeing all the teams and drivers made me feel like actually know them now so I want to watch. Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire

I always thought f1 was just racing. It’s so much more and I wish I got into it sooner. I’m super pumped that the season is starting this week. So in honor of the new season, what is something you’re excited for?
    Last edited by Babu; 14th March 2019 at 19:08.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I haven't watched the series yet, but I have Netflix so thanks for the recommendation.

In general, it's hard to enjoy racing of any kind when you don't know the back story. A lot of people who haven't seen Formula 1 racing before (and most other racing), expect some kind of bangs and fireballs, with cars rubbing tires, going two or three wide into every corner, and overtaking the whole time. But what they see is usually a fairly technical and strategic race that's looks more like a game of chess or football, where the energy and the strategy of the entire match is meant to score just one goal (one critical overtake in F1) that delivers the win.

I feel like one third of the race outcome is determined by the qualifying session on Saturday. So watching qualifying, specially the third Q3 session which determines the starting order of the first 10 cars is also critical.

Of course, there is also the important component involving rivalries between the leading drivers and teams. The main theme this season will be whether Ferrari, who hasn't won a championship since 2008, or Red Bull will be able to dethrone Mercedes who has now won five championships in a row. The rivalry between Hamilton and Vettel is also very good. Vettel desperately needs to get even with Hamilton this season.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I've seen the first episode and I find it to be mostly BS. It felt like an half hour ad for f1 mixed with some crappy reality tv show moments. It leads you to think that f1 is this great spectacle where everything can happen. Wasn't it last year that except 2 races all podiums were taken by the top 3 teams? How many teams won races in the last 5 years? How many teams won WCCs in the last 5 years? How about the last 9? How many non-Mercedes WDCs did we have in the last 5 years? Every year we hear about the second tier teams closing the gap and being a few years away from the top teams. We head into the 6th season of the hybrid era and we still have little hope to see anyone but Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull winning a race.

And then you have all these exaggerations, the f1 drivers vs. the mere mortals. It seems the f1 drivers are not mortals. And they are also the best drivers in the world. Stroll is one of the best 20 drivers in the world. Nothing less.

And then you have the almighty Magnussen, the brave, beating his chest about how he'll give it all and fear nothing, not even death, for that 5th place. And then this underdog Hass team (no mentions of the Ferrari ties) fails miserably and it becomes a tragic story. Our hero flew too close to the sun. And then he runs upset from the press and ask the boss to protect him from the annoying journalists. The hero needs his space after his near death one hour long experience.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    It leads you to think that f1 is this great spectacle where everything can happen. Wasn't it last year that except 2 races all podiums were taken by the top 3 teams? How many teams won races in the last 5 years? How many teams won WCCs in the last 5 years? How about the last 9? How many non-Mercedes WDCs did we have in the last 5 years? Every year we hear about the second tier teams closing the gap and being a few years away from the top teams. We head into the 6th season of the hybrid era and we still have little hope to see anyone but Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull winning a race.
    This is a valid critique of formula 1 racing, but then again, the same questions could be asked 5 years ago, or 30 years ago, with little changes. (e.g how many non-McLaren WDC were in five seasons before year 1992?). In any case, the fact that we have Mercedes winning five WDCs in a row, or only three teams competing for the wins does not make F1 racing _bad_. We still had mostly good seasons in the past 5 years thanks to Rosberg in 2014-2016, and Ferrari upping its game from 2017 on. I don't know how this applies to the Netflix film because I haven't seen it.
    Last edited by zako85; 12th March 2019 at 15:07.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    I just watched all ten episodes , and I would recommend any of us to do so .

It's a bit fluffy , and sometimes opinionated , but seems to give real insight into the drivers , themselves .
    That is , the ones who are included .

It also shows a great deal of the "behind the scenes" activity , and how complex it can all get .

But , if it's technical detail you want , or you can't stomach a bit of "Hollywood-ish" production , then it's not for you .

I wasn't glued to it , but I enjoyed it enough to watch the whole thing .

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    I've watched 7 or 8 of them now, and I've quite enjoyed them for the behind the scenes type stuff. They dig a bit deeper into the teams, the personal and professional mix of some of the team leaders and drivers, and then also highlight some of the long standing on track battles.

And I must admit, I had forgotten about the exchange with the Hulk and KMag that resulted in the "suck my balls" comment mid interview.

7. Likes: andyone (18th March 2019)