Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD View Post
    Exactly. Wouldn’t that achieve the extra exitement they are after?
    Possibly- we’ll see how it pans out. But, as I say, I think pole position is far more deserving of points than fastest lap.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Possibly- we’ll see how it pans out. But, as I say, I think pole position is far more deserving of points than fastest lap.
    Give them an extra point for pole and you achieve nothing with regards to improving the spectacle. Qualy doesnt really need any incentive for the driver to give 100%... and isn't starting on pole already reward enough in itself?

With a fastest race lap point on the table you potentially encourage teams to choose the more attacking strategy which gives them fresher tyres at the end when fuel loads are lower.

3. Likes: COD (19th March 2019)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Definitely a good refresher to the casual racing towards the end. Extra action guaranteed since we all know that every point accounts in the end for the championship and also money rewarded to constructors, so ultimately added value also for us spectators. I mean more action in the end leads to possibly more drama.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Because you’d have everyone outside the top 10 (sometimes even tenth place if he can garner an extra point) pitting for fresh tyres with two laps to go in an effort to set a qualifying lap.
    I hear that argument, but I counter that everyone will have that option then, which willeither all cancel each other out or lead to some late race drama with 5 or 6 cars pitting and gunning for a fast lap
    Maybe a good compromise would be top 15 or have the car complete at least 70% of the race distance
    This will give all teams a real reason to fight and push the cars even more. Thus leading to a better show and interest up and down the grid
    Remember that pit stops also take time which might not be worth the stop for some higher up the grid. Intrigue abound.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I like the idea. It is about time they rewarded it.
    Pole position should also be worth 1 point
    as many have already pointed out.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    I was really on the fence with this new rule until this first race. Listening to all the audio, I think it has the potential to really change things up near the front of the pack. Drivers are obviously going to fight for that one point.

Also agree to bring back the point for pole, as it had a similar impact IMO.

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I love it. I like hearing the drivers fighting for that extra point, especially Bottas, who is looking to take the fight to Hamilton.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Stupid useless rule. The car that does the fastest lap is also the one that usually wins the race. We already got a problem in F1, for the last 30 years or so, that the same one or two teams win all the races. Now, they will also collect extra points for the fastest lap. This is an incredible stupid rule. This effectively gives 26 points to the race winner most of the time. Now, how long should we wait until they get rid of it? (Remember the stupid new qualifying format that couldn't last more than two races recently?)

Why change what's not broken. Leave it alone already.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I love it. I like hearing the drivers fighting for that extra point, especially Bottas, who is looking to take the fight to Hamilton.
    Fighting? Sorry. What make you think about this? Because Bottas said so? His radio only proved that he is perhaps a cocky little prick who will argue on radio about one point and then not change his course ok.

Anyways, I guess we are going to enjoy for the rest of this season the "fight" between Bottas and Hamilton about this point. One way or another, this simply makes Mercedes win faster in the season. How great.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind introducing this one point for the fastest lap. Did anyone really think that SAUBER, HAAS, or anyone else besides Mercedes will win it? Good job.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    What l find interesting is how Hamilton and Vettel did not bother trying for the fastest lap bonus. I think they probably did not want to sacrifice engine life for one point. We would see how Bottas and Verstapenn fair with their engine going forward.

Did it bring any real excitement? There were attempts mainly by Bottas and Verstapenn, but really the rest did not stand a chance against Merc and Redbull, hence did not try. I think if the cars outside the top ten were elegible for nthe bonus points, there may have been one or two risk takers going into the pits for new tyres and putting out their best qualifying lap for the fastest lap of the race.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare