Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Well, I'm actually surprised how much it seems that drivers are shooting for the fastest lap, even when they are the leading drivers. I expected it more from the drivers hoping to close small gaps, but it seems that frequently several drivers per race are on the radio looking for a shot at this extra point.

Seven different drivers have scored fastest laps this year, and at times it seems that strategy calls might easily influence who has a chance to go for it, and when.

With a chunk of the season over, what does everyone else think?

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    It's a farce. Get rid of it.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Repped! Apart from Hamilton’s amazing final lap in Silverstone it hasn’t actually added anything to the sport and hasn’t influenced strategy.

Get rid of that stupid driver of the day voting as well. Utterly useless and serves no purpose.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 4th October 2019 at 18:34.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Get rid of that stupid driver of the day voting as well. Utterly useless and serves no purpose.
    Totally agree with that.

In a close championship battle (which admittedly we haven't had for awhile), I can see how the fastest lap point might spark some excitement.

In looking back at 2016, I see that Nico scored 6 fastest laps compared to 3 for Lewis. But F/L didn't mean anything more than bragging rights back then. Unlike Vettel, Hamilton didn't typically go out of his way to record the fastest lap (prior to the awarding of a point anyway). With 2016 ending in a 5 point separation between Rosberg and Hamilton, and Hamilton having 12 poles to Rosberg's 8 (suggesting that he might have been generally quicker when he really wanted to be), I just wonder if having that bonus point in a season like that wouldn't add some real spice? What do you guys think?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Agreed! It just demonstrates how much these guys are driving to a delta!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Totally agree with that.

In a close championship battle (which admittedly we haven't had for awhile), I can see how the fastest lap point might spark some excitement.

In looking back at 2016, I see that Nico scored 6 fastest laps compared to 3 for Lewis. But F/L didn't mean anything more than bragging rights back then. Unlike Vettel, Hamilton didn't typically go out of his way to record the fastest lap (prior to the awarding of a point anyway). With 2016 ending in a 5 point separation between Rosberg and Hamilton, and Hamilton having 12 poles to Rosberg's 8 (suggesting that he might have been generally quicker when he really wanted to be), I just wonder if having that bonus point in a season like that wouldn't add some real spice? What do you guys think?
    My thoughts are somewhat similar. In most races, it adds nothing or next to nothing for excitement, but the first time a WDC or constructors championship place is decided by fastest lap points it will all of a sudden matter. If you are Ferrari or Mercedes, it might not matter still financially. But if you are Alfa and Haas, that extra cash flow of one position is a bigger deal. So similar to reliability, it will only matter when it matters.

I've actually been surprised at the radio chatter and teams looking for that "free" pit stop delta near race end to take a shot at fastest lap.

I think KMag is the only driver to get a fastest lap other than the Merc/Ferrari/RB teams. IIRC that applied last year as well.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    If you look at who has benefited from the fastest lap so far, you would find that only drivers from the top three have managed to pull it off consistently. My problem with the fastest lap bonus is it helps the teams in the sharp end more than it does the Midfield or below. Which has the effect of pulling the sharp end of the grid further away from the midfield.

The fastest lap would make more sense if it can assist the midfiled to get closer to the sharp end or help teams outside the top ten to get in the mix with teams at the bottom of the the top ten. Hence, l agree, it should be scrapped or modified to benefit the midfield and below. Really would not mind if the top three teams are not allowed to benefit from the fastest lap but that is also controversial.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 6th October 2019 at 11:49.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    At the very last few days leading up to the first grand prix in Melbourne Australia, the F1 management rushed in a new rule for F1 that awards one point for the fastest lap of the race. There is one caveat, drivers can only get the bonus point, only if they finish the race in the top ten. Hence, if a driver does the fastest lap and then broke down before the end of the race, he would not be awarded the bonus point even if nobody else beat his fastest time.

One problem is, the drivers in the fastest cars may hug these bonus points and prevent the midfield from the opportunity. Secondly, drivers may only choose to attempt to get the fastest lap at the end of the GP. I think Mercedes may use this to bolster up their shortfall to Ferrari to keep the fight close and drawn out. Redbull may attempt to use these bonuses to try to get into the mix with Mercedes. You can see how the midfield may lose out.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the fastest lap does not need to be qualifying level fast. When everyone is conserving engine life, it may simply fall to the fastest normal race lap [fastest slow lap]. With the low number of engine limitation, l doubt any team would sacrifice engine life for one point. We would expect to see real duel for fastest laps when engines are reaching their end of racing life.

Chances are, the fastest lap bonus may not bring any real excitement to spectators in its current format. I personally think, they should have made the bonus available to teams outside the points, to inspire backend teams to have the chance to earn points which may otherwise be impossible. I think it would energize the creativity and commitments of these teams. Thus, the fastest backend team would have an opportunity to win a share of the 21 points available from the bonus scheme.

What do you think?

I've got no problem with it.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."