Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Well, I've looked up the stats, and they defy Nitrodaze's interpretation of last season.

Vettel led the standings 6 times, after Australia, Bahrain, China, Canada, Austria and Britain. He led for retrospectively 7, 17, 9, 1, 1 and 8pts.

If his biggest lead was 17pts after rd2 in Bahrain. Where was this decent gap Vettel built in the first half of the season? One where Hamilton supposedly had to look deep within his character and overcome all odds (despite driving the better car) to accomplish this incredible feat?

Also within the Aus-BritGP timeframe, Hamilton led the standings by as big as 17pts, only to lose it as well.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I think Ferrari's best chance of stealing one or both of the championship titles on the table was for them to steal an early lead and then try to consolidate on that through the rest of the season. As it turned out, Mercedes has stolen the lead instead, putting Ferrari on their back foot. I have a feeling that Ferrari shall pay dearly for this turn of events. I think it is an uphill battle beating the Mercedes team with a handsome lead ahead. Ferrari has to make up over 60 points to catch up to Mercedes for the Constructors title. Vettel and Leclerc are roughly thirty points behind Hamilton and Bottas.

It would take a few bad lucks or F*ckups to bring team and drivers close to the Mercedes team and drivers. My feeling is that as Mercedes ramp up their development of the car, they may push their points advantage further away from Ferrari; particularly as we approach the halfway point of the season. It is beginning to look like a championship for Mercedes to lose rather than for Ferrari to win.

We may have a situation where the title fight is between the two Mercedes drivers. if so, with the way the points are poised, which of the two do you think would win it? Which one do you want to win it? Hamilton for his sixth world title or Bottas for his first?

It would take something special out of Bottas for Hamilton to be overcomed? We have seen glimpses of brilliance from Bottas, but Hamilton has always replied with a reminder that he is still the top dog five times world champion.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th April 2019 at 20:17.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Mercedes, probably Hamilton
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Mercedes, probably Hamilton
    I think you are right. It is looking like a Mercedes walk over. So far Ferrari has been rudely mugged by Mercedes when Ferrari has the upper hand and when they don't. They have been bitch slapped and kicked in the balls.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare