Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Who will be the 2019 drivers world champion?

In 2018, when Vettel built a decent gap in the 1st half of the season, l remember saying in one of my posts that Hamilton would need to pull out something special to win the 2018 title against what was a fearsome Ferrari in Vettels hands. And that was just what Hamilton did. He produced a mesmerizing performance that saw him win his fifth title against what seemed surely a Vettel year to win the title for Ferrari.

By all accounts of what has been witnessed at winter testing, 2019 is proving to be another year similar to the 2018 season where Ferrari has once again turned up with what looks like a very fearsome car. Mercedes seem rocked by this, and Redbull were at awe of the gap that they find themselves needing to breach between where they are compared to the Ferrari. The 2019 season seem set for Ferrari to win at least the first three to four races before Mercedes catch up to them. If say, Ferrari can consistently manage a one two over say four races with Vettel winning these races, that would put him forty points ahead of whomever can be consistently in 3rd. This would be the best case scenario for Vettel and a very steep uphill battle for Mercedes if they are unable to breakup the Ferrari dominance early.

With the change of leadership in Ferrari, one would expect that they would not make the same mistakes they did last season. With a fast Leclerc in the other Ferrari, it would be crystal clear to Vettel that he cannot afford to make any sort of mistake this season. Ferrari would be very keen to make the most of their performance advantage, thus l do not expect them to have their drivers racing each other and taking points from each other. Hence, expect Vettel to have the full support of the team to lead the charge for winning the titles on the table with Leclerc in a supporting role.

So one could say, that Vettel is the favorite to win the drivers title. That said, even with the odds strongly against him, betting against Hamilton winning the 2019 drivers title feels weird and stupid. Mercedes have consistently out performed Ferrari in the development battle through each season since the hybrid era began. Mercedes would catch up to the Ferrari at some point and Hamilton would steadily begin to whittle down the points difference between himself and Vettel.

This is where the crunch for Ferrari and Vettel would begin and typically this was where Ferrari and Vettel started to make mistakes. The question this season is, can they keep their nerves and work to maintain some sort of a gap up till Abu Dhabi? If you were to force me to place a bet, l would have to go 50:50 at this stage. But ask me again when we are a quarter of the way through the season and l may have a different answer. It is also hard to tell how disruptive Redbull might be in all of this.

Redbulls with a similar pace to Mercedes may help Ferrari win the 2019 Constructors and drivers titles.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 11th March 2019 at 21:58.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    do not expect them to have their drivers racing each other and taking point from each other. Hence, expect Vettel to have the full support of the team to lead the charge for winning the titles on the table with Leclerc in a supporting role.
    Probably true, but I hope Vettel doesn't beat him. My man's Mclerk
    May the forza be with you

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    My man ofcourse, Kimi

4. Likes: airshifter (16th March 2019)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Vettel seems very confident in his latest interviews that they have managed to work on their weaknesses during the break, ultimately admitting to where he had gotten it wrong last year, which is from psychological perspective an important step in the right direction to build back mental toughness.

But probably way too early to tell

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I think Hamilton takes it again in 2019 and here is why
    1. firmly established his dominance over Bottas who is on the hot seat all year with Ocon waiting in the wings
    2. The Mercedes will probably take a few GP's to truly get going but I suspect that by the time they hit hungary they will probably be the strongest car out there
    3. The Vettel LeClerc situation in Ferrari is going to be contentious. I honestly think that leclerc is a faster driver than Vettel at this point but there will be a bunch of politics to favor vettel...which will cause strife. If all things were equal leclerc would probably be Hamilton's true rival. I foresee a mclaren 2007 situation developing over at Ferrari and it will be the talking point all year.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    In 2018, when Vettel built a decent gap in the 1st half of the season, l remember saying in one of my posts that Hamilton would need to pull out something special to win the 2018 title against what was a fearsome Ferrari in Vettels hands. And that was just what Hamilton did. He produced a mesmerizing performance that saw him win his fifth title against what seemed surely a Vettel year to win the title for Ferrari.
    Not that I want to downplay Hamilton's performance but the complete picture would include Ferrari's and Vettel's great ability at shooting themselves in the foot. I find it strange that Ferrari have commited publicly so early at supporting Vettel this year. Maybe they should wait and see how Leclerc performs. Vettel's not good enough to be the undisputed number one in the team.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Bottas to shock all of us and destroy Hamilton this year!

Now seriously? I'd probably go for Vettel if I was given a free bet.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    My man ofcourse, Kimi
    LOL good one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    According to the Australian GP practice sessions, Mercedes is not slowing down this year either... Against my hopes

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    After FP 1 & 2, therīs not much hope left.