Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying Drivers

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS007 View Post
    Perhaps "scourge" was too strong a word, although it's important to differentiate between a "tourist", say like Bertelli, and a "paying driver", like Ostberg. I don't think I need to point out the difference. I don't object to the likes of Bertelli, it's his money and he can spend it however he wishes. What annoys me is when someone like Breen is left on the sidelines due to lack of cash, or someone like Ostberg has to pay a professional outfit to get a drive; the operative word is "professional", meaning you get paid to do it, not the other way round.
    Very important difference you point out here.

"Tourist" drivers that can never hope to get top 3 results have been around for ages. But the concept of drivers that are capable of top 3 results (and sometimes also got them in the past) and/or drivers nominated for manufacturer points is something that first really became "normal" with Hirvonen.

At that time (2004) he was very unproven driver who did most of the 2003 season (as a paying driver) with best results being 6th on Cyprus where he kind of just survived trough while others did not. Suddenly he was the 2nd driver in a car/team that just won the drivers title. While McRae who 2 year before finished 4th in the championship and was was probably best paid driver was without any drive at all.Yes Burns' illness was a factor in that.

After that it just slowly became "norm" with Kresta and Sola at Ford/Msport in 2005 etc etc. Also it almost destroyed Hirvonen's career cause he was terrible in the Subaru in 2004 (the Impreza was arguably the best gravel car that year) and got kicked at the end of season ending without a drive. Only good speed/results in the few rallies he entered in 2005 (again as paying driver), some of which were due to road position on gravel got him drive at Ford in 2006. If he did just a little big worse or Gardermeister or Kresta did a bit better, it's not so sure he would made it back.

-------------------

Yes you might be right that the underlying reason could be that there are less sponsor money. However I still think Jouhki (with Hirvonen) normalized the approach. If nobody of the drivers/managers came with the money then teams would not "expect" then to come with money from then on, even though in the longer term it might have been inevitable.

2. Likes: RAS007 (2nd March 2019)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS007 View Post
    Regarding your hypothetical question about which currently not-under-contract-drivers I'd choose if I was starting a team today, it'd be Paddon, Breen, Suninen and Ostberg.
    Suninen is under contract to M-Sport and they pay him. Confirmed by Rich Millener in an interview and told to me by an insider working with Suninen.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEVSBOraCQ
    This Finnish report of Tour de Corse 1993 states at 7:40 that Andrea Aghini must pay Lancia for every rally, but the Italian ASN is supporting him. So this would imply it's not a totally brand new concept...
    Maybe he got some aid from ACI/Csai but Aghini was always mentioned as a Lancia/Jolly Club paid driver in 93 and the team was (like almost ever) backed by Fiat/Lancia and Totip, alongside that year main sponsor, Repsol, brought by Sainz.

Fiorio shouldn't either be considered a paying driver, once his Jolly Club years were also backed by the team sponsors; not so sure about his brief experience with Ford in 91, although it’s fair to say that despite being Cesare Fiorio son he was actually one the best Italian drivers of his generation.

Btw, didn’t Ford Spain and Ford France, among other sponsors, paid for Sainz and Auriol 1988 WRC outings with Ford Motorsport? Eventually we'll find that personal sponsors always played a major role in most WRC drivers careers.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 1st March 2019 at 21:03.
    Rally addict since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    the team was (like almost ever) backed by Fiat/Lancia
    I thought the factory support ended after 1991

Btw, didn’t Ford Spain and Ford France, among other sponsors, paid for Sainz and Auriol 1988 WRC outings with Ford Motorsport? Eventually we'll find that personal sponsors always played a major role in most WRC drivers careers.
    Tommi Mäkinen also got two factory team outings in 1991 from Mazda, maybe Timo Jouhki was already paying by then? And what about his drives with a private team Lancia in 1993?
    Last edited by AnttiL; 1st March 2019 at 21:07.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    so, we have paying drivers in the sport. and we have only two champs in the last 15 championships who came to the top without big private money behind them. maybe we can draw some lines here.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    so, we have paying drivers in the sport. and we have only two champs in the last 15 championships who came to the top without big private money behind them. maybe we can draw some lines here.
    But they came with support other countries federations wouldn't dream of putting in to their top national drivers?

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I thought the factory support ended after 1991
    If I remember rigth, the last year of the Lancia/Abarth factory team was 92. In 93 Lancia got a deal with Jolly Club (previously their main sattelite team) giving them some support to run the Delta on the WRC, with Sainz as leading driver and Repsol as main sponsor (a bit like Ford/MSport+Ogier/Red Bull deal) but that support wasn't enougth to keep the car competitive through the season (they even tried Lamborghini help for the engine evolution) and Sainz moved to Subaru at the end of the year. Aghini run in some events the second car in Totip/Jolly Club usual colors, while in others the car was driven by Trelles, with Repsol and Ancap (a personal sponsor) logos.

Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    But they came with support other countries federations wouldn't dream of putting in to their top national drivers?
    Yep, FFSA help was important for them to stand out, but the key factor for their success was Citroen almost immediate support, getting them under contract even before the JWRC.
    Rally addict since 1982

If I remember rigth, the last year of the Lancia/Abarth factory team was 92.
    1992 was already a Jolly club year, although they still had the Martini colours, but the factory backing was ended. In retrospect, we can see this as Toyota started becoming faster through out 1992 and in 1993 Lancia was out of the competition. That's how quick the factory teams develop their cars, and without the support you fall off

http://juwra.com/lancia_season_1992.html

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    i think that it's obvious that something is wrong in the system

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    If I remember rigth, the last year of the Lancia/Abarth factory team was 92. In 93 Lancia got a deal with Jolly Club (previously their main sattelite team) giving them some support to run the Delta on the WRC, with Sainz as leading driver and Repsol as main sponsor (a bit like Ford/MSport+Ogier/Red Bull deal) but that support wasn't enougth to keep the car competitive through the season (they even tried Lamborghini help for the engine evolution) and Sainz moved to Subaru at the end of the year. Aghini run in some events the second car in Totip/Jolly Club usual colors, while in others the car was driven by Trelles, with Repsol and Ancap (a personal sponsor) logos.

Yep, FFSA help was important for them to stand out, but the key factor for their success was Citroen almost immediate support, getting them under contract even before the JWRC.
    Was it so immediate...
    Well yes, compared to some others, quite quickly in the factory team, which in both cases was also their national manufacturer and quite quickly winning in them. Something that hasn`t been repeated so quickly later on.