Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

MCLExtreme - A perspective towards future F1 cars

How cool is this? Mclaren really out it out there with what l can only describe as the most daring and impressive speculation of what future 2050 F1 cars might look like.

Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd January 2019 at 16:30.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    They'ii still be slow!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 1,075 Times in 601 Posts
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post

How cool is this? Mclaren really out it out there with what l can only describe as the most daring and impressive speculation of what future 2050 F1 cars might look like.

This looks like a car that Caterpillar would design today.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    They'ii still be slow!
    I must admit, l can't see how any team would do 2 sec wheel changes at pitstops with the rear design. I am guessing the vanes over the rear tyres fold upwards to allow access the the hub of the rear wheel. Even so, that is one second gone, two seconds to replace the tyres and one to bring the thing back down.

It is an interesting idea, we should appreciate these sort of efforts that try to push the envelop. There are some interesting concepts in the design, it looks like the sort of car that would allow very close racing. The cockpit design which completely surrounds the drive definitely looks more chic than the current monstrosity.

The flaps begin to make sense when you think of them as a device to prevent puncture of the rear tyres during close quarter racing. The front wing also have no exposed sharp edges which could cause damage to other cars.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th January 2019 at 20:13.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    I don't think they are too worried about 2 sec wheel changes, as the article mentions 'self-healing tyres'. Other features include top speeds of 500kph (so it won't be slow), AI co-pilot (R2-D2?) and high banking (up walls like the old scalectrix)
    https://www.pitpass.com/63802/McLare...on-for-F1-2050

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I must admit, l can't see how any team would do 2 sec wheel changes at pitstops with the rear design. I am guessing the vanes over the rear tyres fold upwards to allow access the the hub of the rear wheel. Even so, that is one second gone, two seconds to replace the tyres and one to bring the thing back down.

It is an interesting idea, we should appreciate these sort of efforts that try to push the envelop. There are some interesting concepts in the design, it looks like the sort of car that would allow very close racing. The cockpit design which completely surrounds the drive definitely looks more chic than the current monstrosity.

The flaps begin to make sense when you think of them as a device to prevent puncture of the rear tyres during close quarter racing. The front wing also have no exposed sharp edges which could cause damage to other cars.
    I'm sorry, I meant they will still be slower!
    May the forza be with you