Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Its all true. Lewis is the most superist superstar in the world. I even named my son after him.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Its all true. Lewis is the most superist superstar in the world. I even named my son after him.
    And I even gave my son a firstname beginning with L and middle-name beginning with H so to help the #TeamLH hashtag live on forever.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 4th May 2019 at 06:54.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Bottas has been overtaken in his own thread .
    There's just no fight left in him , clearly .

4. Likes: Tazio (4th May 2019)
    Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Bottas has been overtaken in his own thread .
    There's just no fight left in him , clearly .
    Sorry, I accidentally pushed the radio button, so he slowed down.

Being serious now though, I'm not sure what Bottas is doing or Lewis isn't doing this year. But he does seem to have more of a challenge in him. I was skeptical when Mercedes chose him to fill the seat, but if he keeps performing like this he's going to make a believer out of me.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I hear the cynicism in the air about Hamilton. However, everyone is bracing themselves for when the real fight between Hamilton and Bottas kicks off. The points as it stand at the moment is giving notice to Hamilton that if he do not want a repeat of 2016 where Rosberg ramped up confidence and stole the championship from under his nose, he would need to start putting in performances to put some distance between himself and Bottas.

That said, l have a feeling that Bottas is probably prepared for that. Which inevitably may spark an inhouse Mercedes battle for the championship. This might be very good for Ferrari as it did for Kimi in 2003 when Alonso and Hamilton fought each other hard at Mclaren only to lose the drivers title to Ferrrari by one point.

We know how methodical and ruthless Hamilton can be in a rivalry fight for the title. The real question is, is Bottas hard enough to do battle with Hamilton when it comes to it. It took Rosberg three seasons to get to the point where he could prevail; although under quite questionable circumstances. Can Bottas do it in two seasons? Can he stand the heat of the battle. This is what l am looking forward to see.

I like a great story, hence l am hoping that he can do something remarkable and worthy of F1 history and folklore.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th May 2019 at 22:00.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I'm not sure what Bottas is doing
    He's driving the car to what it's capable of. That is what all the good drivers do.

or Lewis isn't doing this year.
    Hamilton isn't not doing anything this year. 2019 is the second best start after 4 races he's had in his career, 2015 being the best.

On the other hand of all his team mates, only Rosberg's first four races of 2016 season is better than Bottas' first 4 from this year.

edit: Bottas is now going toe to toe with Hamilton. If he keeps this up, Hamilton has to effectively beat himself to win the championship. How do you do that?
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 6th May 2019 at 09:55.

I'll tell you how!

Just reviewing Bottas' results. He's stepped up his game this year, but it still feels a forlorn hope he could challenge for the championship.

Since MB have been the leading team, the 133pts he's scored so far this year would be enough to lead the championship in 16 & 18, and the leading MB in 17. Of the combined 12 seasons MB drivers have had to this point since 14, Bottas' season this year is the 5th best. So there's still room for improvement despite him lifting his game. He's 29pts behind Hamilton, but he hasn't done a lot wrong. It's be hard to make up those 29pts without some adversity for Hamilton.

You analyse his season. He was going toe to toe with Hamilton til Monaco. There he qualified 2nd to Hamilton, which is the least you could do. But even though he qualified on pole in the previous 3 races, it didn't affect the race. In Monaco, qualifying 2nd and not beating Hamilton into the first corner meant he became vulnerable to a safety car period and had to back up those behind to clear the way for a double stack. This eventually lead to a clash with Verstappen and the ensuing puncture which meant he lost another position for another stop. Had he beat Hamilton to the first corner, it could've been Hamilton whose race was compromised and Bottas could've won. In hindsight, he'd have been better off qualifying on the 2nd-3rd row.

In Canada, he made the error in qualifying which contributed to his poor result. That meant he was out of position to where he should be and lost more ground in the championship to Hamilton. Had he just qualified 3rd and stayed behind Hamilton throughout the race, maybe he could've taken 2nd with the errors Hamilton was making and he could've had the win with Vettel's error and subsequent penalty.

Hamilton has had the best start after seven races an MB driver has ever had, and people will applaud him for it. Two of his wins have effectively been inherited.

If Bottas finishes second this year, people will be humdrum about it. But his best has been better than Hamilton's best so far. But sometimes, some qualifying/race performance are more important than others, and it doesn't take much for a really good overall performance to still not be good enough. That's the **** you have to avoid to win a championship.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I think Bottas is still looking good. Verstapenn and Redbull sort of screwed up his championship fight to a small extent. He has to recover from it and re insert himself into the fight proper. Canada is a Hamilton track, hence l sort expected Bottas to be behind. But he clearly had an off day and drifted further behind than he hoped. At best he should have been ahead of the Ferrari. But that is no reason to write him off. He is still in it, he just need to regain ground.

If Bottas finish second this season, he would be well appreciated for it. Anything less and he would be castigated from all quarters. He drove magnificently at start of the season. I think he would bounce back.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

I expect him to win more and at least finish 2nd. But of the 14 races left I'm not sure he can get the 4+ wins over Hamilton to make up the points without some adversity for Hamilton (Which you can't rely on).

He made an error in Bahrain, and Hamilton got by which led to him winning. Hamilton slipped up a couple of times in Montreal, but Bottas wasn't there to take advantage of it. That stuff makes a difference more that a spectacular qualifying or race performance.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    A couple of lock ups from Lewis in Canada when attacking Vettel with zero pressure behind him doesn’t mean he would have done the same thing had Bottas been behind him. As the posts here point out, Hamilton generally only makes these mistakes when it matters the least so I doubt he would have done the same had Bottas been behind him.