Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Sometimes some people need to adjust to a new unexpected situation. You'd like to think progress is linear, but it mostly isn't.

Bottas was ordinary last year. There were more factors affecting his result than just underperforming.

Bottas performed better than Hamilton in 4 of the first 7 races last year. He just didn't get the results. When Vettel became a seriously challenger in the standings, this then affects the way MB treat him. His results became expendable (Same with Ferrari to Raikkonen).

Most notably this occurred in Russia. But it was like that throughout the last 2/3s of the season. Holding station behind Hamilton in Germany. Compromising his performance to affect Raikkonen at Monza.

But he has to take responsibility for the team compromising his results, because he didn't put the points on the board in the beginning of the season. 34pts behind Hamilton after Canada (Who lost the title lead) made it an easy decision for the team to compromise his performances. It's a different situation if he was closer to Ham in the points.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/r...1M5U3W,267XD,1

“Maybe his years at Williams and then the shock draft into Mercedes was something he needed to digest” – Toto Wolff

Damn right, Toto.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    First race of the season, one where he has been truly outstandingly quick and faultless.
    Great for him and us as spectators, but going forward I'm not expecting him to be consistant.

If I see a continuation of that form over the next 5-6 races I think only then will I consider him to be a genuine WDC contender for 2019.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    So Bottas turned up this season and smashed everyone at the first race of the season, But is he safe yet? I also hear Toto is leaving Mercedes at the end of this or next season, what does this mean for Bottas?
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    So Bottas turned up this season and smashed everyone at the first race of the season, But is he safe yet? I also hear Toto is leaving Mercedes at the end of this or next season, what does this mean for Bottas?
    I doubt it makes much of a difference for him. If he does a good job, he'll be retained - if he doesn't, he's out. Although we also need to keep in mind that Mercedes don't exactly have a great replacement at hand, since the obvious choice is the rather crash-prone Ocon. Unless 2019 is a complete disaster for Bottas like 2018 was -although the first signs have been rather encouraging-, I can't see Merc dropping him with or without Wolff.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Also, I think Bottas is easier to handle for Mercedes than Ocon. Bottas has already shown last year he can be a team player when asked to, Ocon's history with his team-mate Perez may cast doubts whether he would be prepared to move over if so required by his team.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

6. Likes: journeyman racer (1st April 2019)
    Obviously it's still early days. I may very well have misinterpret what I saw, and it may be meaningless anyway. But with the reference to last year's calamity season from Bottas. I still thin there was substantial improvement from Bottas last night.

Obviously Bahrain will be remembered for Leclerc performance and misfortune. Hamilton gets another win, easing the sore backside of his fans all over the world after Albert Park.

This is what Bottas faced last night. The Ferraris and Hamilton got him in qualifying. They were better performing than him during the race, and he was struggling with his own issues and making some error.

Had this scenario occurred last year, he more than likely would've finished 4th or worse. Someone like Verstappen would've been ahead of him, and he'd have been so far out of it that he might not have taken advantage of another's mechanical failure.

But not last night. He didn't let the gap or track position completely derail his performance and result and he got 2nd.

On the surface and to most people including his critics. It was an unremarkable 2nd in his designated position of finishing behind Hamilton. But accounting for factors I've mentioned earlier, I think it was an improvement in performance on par with the win at Albert Park.

But it's only two races down. His challenge for the rest of the season (regardless of what anyone else does) is to replicate his last two races over the next 19. So we'll see.

This thread's topic is done afaic.

We now have to ask - Has Esteban Ocon already driven his last F1 race?

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Bottas is a new man this season. He has met fans and teams expectations this season so far. There is a new swagger to his strides as he walks the paddock. And he has found new levels of respect for his fellow drivers as well. For the second time, he leads the driver's championship with a narrow margin of one point. But l suspect, Hamilton may be taking things easy with Bottas at the moment for whatever reason. Especially since the Ferrari pair are not in close proximity in the points. I think this may change going forward and Bottas may need to find another level to keep himself in the frame for the title as the season progresses.

Based on his current form, l have no doubt that he would find a way to be there about. But l wonder if he can sustain it to the end of the season. We generally expect him to win it or be no less than 2nd or immediately behind Hamilton. I typically support the underdog, hence, l am quietly routing for Bottas to surprise. But you never write off Hamilton, Bottas would need to produce something special to be on top this season.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    What a wonderful guy that Hamilton is, letting Bottas win a couple. I was sure he would have liked to win 4 out of 4 and have all the fast lap points as well if possible. What a cynical bastard I've become.

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    What a wonderful guy that Hamilton is, letting Bottas win a couple. I was sure he would have liked to win 4 out of 4 and have all the fast lap points as well if possible. What a cynical bastard I've become.
    He's not letting Bottas win, he's orchestrating a Mercedes 1-2. You see, if Hamilton scampered off into the distance and lapped the entire field (like we all know he easily could), Bottas would quickly fall prey to the Ferrari's, Red Bull's and even the Williams. Bottas needs Hamilton behind him to fend off everybody else and thereby ensure a Mercedes 1-2. Hamilton will still win when it matters. He's so fast that he can even lap his own shadow. He only loses when he chooses to.
    Other little known facts about Hamilton: The first time he bowled, he scored a perfect 300. Similarly, in his first ever round of golf, he had 5 hole-in one holes for 38 under par round.

12. Likes: gm99 (3rd May 2019)