Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Would be cool if Russel could match, amd sometimes beat Hamilton. Bottas has become too much of a loyal pissboy in the team.
    But it takes a good deal of psyke and self esteem to constantly challenge a driver like Hamilton.

Many drivers in many teams has over the years, gone down, amd never risen back up again.

2. Likes: pantealex (30th August 2021)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Would be cool if Russel could match, amd sometimes beat Hamilton. Bottas has become too much of a loyal pissboy in the team.
    But it takes a good deal of psyke and self esteem to constantly challenge a driver like Hamilton.

Many drivers in many teams has over the years, gone down, amd never risen back up again.
    I think we would have the Alonso vs Hamilton saga of Mclaren 2007. Hamilton knows that Russell is very hungry and desperate to establish himself. So l fully expect Russell to race Hamilton hard. With the pace we have seen, it would not be surprising to see him beat Hamilton on occasions. Would he be able to dominate and win titles with Hamilton in the other car is another question.

Russell going into the seat next to Hamilton could also be a career-damaging experience. It all comes down to Russell's attitude and mentality when he turns the Mercedes wheel as a full-time Mercedes driver. If his attitude is confrontational, then we would have the very conditions of Alonso-Hamilton 2007 and Toto would have a real problem on his hands.

I think Russell in the Mercedes would be mighty and Verstappen knows that. As do Leclerc, Norris and Sainz.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th August 2021 at 17:44.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think we would have the Alonso vs Hamilton saga of Mclaren 2007. Hamilton knows that Russell is very hungry and desperate to establish himself. So l fully expect Russell to race Hamilton hard. With the pace we have seen, it would not be surprising to see him beat Hamilton on occasions. Would he be able to dominate and win titles with Hamilton in the other car is another question.

Russell going into the seat next to Hamilton could also be a career-damaging experience. It all comes down to Russell's attitude and mentality when he turns the Mercedes wheel as a full-time Mercedes driver. If his attitude is confrontational, then we would have the very conditions of Alonso-Hamilton 2007 and Toto would have a real problem on his hands.

I think Russell in the Mercedes would be mighty and Verstappen knows that. As do Leclerc, Norris and Sainz.

I think Russell will be told in no uncertain terms that he is Hamiltons biatch, if he doesn't play ball and goes against team orders he will quickly find himself replaced.
    That won't stop him trying to prove a point in qualy though... and Lewis will NOT like being upstaged if, or should I say when, that happens. Thats not a dig at Lewis btw.. nobody on the grid would enjoy that, I wouldn't either.

Liked 184 Times in 148 Posts

Russell seems like a team player. I think he will obey team orders and will defer to Hamilton as long he stays at Mercedes. It really a perfect arrangement for Mercedes. Unless they somehow miss on the 2022 car, they will be in position to dominate for years to come. Russell will then be in position to make it "his" team when Hamilton does decide to retire.

Don't think I would say that if they keep Bottas instead.

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    I've got to disagree F1nKS. I think he will behave much more like Leclerc did in his first year at Ferrari. He said all the right things..willing to learn and be mentored and play a support roll. That only lasted as long as he was slower. As soon as he was on pace, he made the team his and was not willing to let the senior driver hang around and retire from the team at the time of his choosing. I think all (or most) F1 drivers would do the same. But the evidence for George is there to be seen from his one race in the Mercedes last year. He didn't patiently stay behind Bottas...he went for it the second he smelled blood.

7. Likes: truefan72 (31st August 2021)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    I've got to disagree F1nKS. I think he will behave much more like Leclerc did in his first year at Ferrari. He said all the right things..willing to learn and be mentored and play a support roll. That only lasted as long as he was slower. As soon as he was on pace, he made the team his and was not willing to let the senior driver hang around and retire from the team at the time of his choosing. I think all (or most) F1 drivers would do the same. But the evidence for George is there to be seen from his one race in the Mercedes last year. He didn't patiently stay behind Bottas...he went for it the second he smelled blood.
    That is the winner instincts and we expect no less. F1 is a dog eat dog environment. His career is on the line, so we would expect him to do just that. The question though is can he tame Hamilton as Leclerc tamed Vettel. For Hamilton, this is role reversal from his Alonso - Mclaren experience. Hamilton is not showing signs of slowing yet. But we are seeing fatigue from him after races. His age is showing l suppose.

The changing of the guard ceremony shall occur sooner or later, but it is inevitable.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    So the final deal of Bottas to Alfa Romeo has apparently now been signed so I expect Russell to Mercedes to be announced in the coming days.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    Yup. At this point after being patient for like 2 years, Russell is out to win the Championship and races himself until it becomes mathematically impossible for either one. Hamilton doesn't need a #2 and Bottas has been given equal status (for the most part) during his 5 year stint with mercedes. At the very least equal machinery. For Russell and Mercedes, the expectation is there to compete and win and having 2 drivers at the highest level pushes the team forward IMO.
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    So the final deal of Bottas to Alfa Romeo has apparently now been signed so I expect Russell to Mercedes to be announced in the coming days.
    wow has it?
    I was sure he was going to williams.
    Perhaps williams didn't want him.

So I believe that Illot and DeVries are going to be at Williams in 2022
    I see Zhou becoming the Renault 3rd driver and then possibly taking over for Alonso in 2023

very interesting!

That is the winner instincts and we expect no less. F1 is a dog eat dog environment. His career is on the line, so we would expect him to do just that. The question though is can he tame Hamilton as Leclerc tamed Vettel. For Hamilton, this is role reversal from his Alonso - Mclaren experience. Hamilton is not showing signs of slowing yet. But we are seeing fatigue from him after races. His age is showing l suppose.

The changing of the guard ceremony shall occur sooner or later, but it is inevitable.
    That is why i think 2022 is Hamilton's final year.
    If he wins his 8th WDC this year then 2022 is just a farewell tour and a chance at the new machinery.
    If he misses it this year, he is hoping that 2002 might be another shot at it. albeit with a better competitor in other seat and a possible 5 way championship fight.
    Anything is possible with the new cars.