Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,683
    Like
    0
    Liked 398 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Reversed Grid order in 2020

    Liberty Media is proposing that for a few races next season, qualifying would be a short Sprint race. In the sprint race which would take place on Saturday in place of the traditional qualifying, the order of the grid in the sprint race would be the reverse order of the drivers championship table. The leader of the championship would start dead last and the driver at the bottom of the championship would start on pole.

    The order of the positions at the end of the sprint race would form the grid order for the race on Sunday. F2 does something similar but different as the reverse is done based on the result of the previous race.

    I think if the reverse grid is done on a track where overtaking is possible to give faster cars the chance to overtake and the sprint is at least 20 laps, then this could be very entertaining. It would mix up the championship table and would not necessarily represent the order of the best drivers and cars on the grid at those races; especially if the race is at a track where overtaking is difficult. And it puts more pressure on engine life in the face of a limited engine regime. And it take more out of the drivers and pit crew at race weekends, especially if the sprint race takes place in one of those back to back race weekends.

    I feel they are wringing too much out of the teams for the sake of entertainment, with longer calendar, increased numbers of back to back races and now sprint races for qualifying. I would enjoy the spectacle but l feel the f1 seams would start to rip at some point in 2020 under this load.

    What do you think? Farce or Fabulous?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th September 2019 at 23:23.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There would be one heck of a 1st turn crash at most tracks with that scenario. I like the idea of a Saturday qualifying sprint race though. Start the sprint race with 1st six championship points order reversed. Ditto for 2nd six, etc.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,683
    Like
    0
    Liked 398 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter4 View Post
    There would be one heck of a 1st turn crash at most tracks with that scenario. I like the idea of a Saturday qualifying sprint race though. Start the sprint race with 1st six championship points order reversed. Ditto for 2nd six, etc.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yea, but very unlikely drivers would get a chance to win races. Imagine Magnussen winning a race for Haas or Perez winning a race for Racing Point in 2020. That would be mega.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  4. #4
    Senior Member N. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodridge, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    3,989
    Like
    280
    Liked 478 Times in 312 Posts
    Interesting but I can't see the teams approving or go along with this at all.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,709
    Like
    60
    Liked 409 Times in 328 Posts
    They should make it a scooter race so they don't wreck the cars before the main event .
    Just imagine the scooters they might design .

    And , they could use sprinklers at random times around the circuit , like Bernie wanted way back when .

    If they use scooters and sprinklers , then I'm on board .
    If not , forget it .

  6. Likes: Tazio (25th September 2019),zako85 (25th September 2019)
  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,683
    Like
    0
    Liked 398 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    How about they leave the cars in the constructors championship order but reverse the order of the drivers according to the drivers championship table. So Hamilton drives the williams at the very last position and Russell drives the Mercedes on pole etc etc etc.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  8. Likes: Tazio (25th September 2019)
  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,709
    Like
    60
    Liked 409 Times in 328 Posts
    Now that I've had some time to think about it , I'm worried that some of the drivers could get hurt riding the scooters .
    Maybe they could each nominate a grid kid to race them .

    We could then bring back the grid girls and arm them with nerf guns and place them around the track .

    And , they could race backwards around the track .
    Yeah , I like that .

    Maybe they should be bicycles instead of scooters .
    Yeah , solar bicycles , that's it .
    Ah , stationary solar bicycles , and the grid kids could power the whole paddock .

    And , the bicycles could have bells on them .

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,481
    Like
    53
    Liked 361 Times in 277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    How about they leave the cars in the constructors championship order but reverse the order of the drivers according to the drivers championship table. So Hamilton drives the williams at the very last position and Russell drives the Mercedes on pole etc etc etc.
    Contractually I doubt very much this idea would be possible as drivers are contracted to teams. It would take support from all the drivers and teams on the grid to implementing this idea and, since most drivers regard grid reversal of any sort as absurd, I cannot imagine them agreeing to it, nor teams agreeing to it as it would potentially expose some team secrets.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,683
    Like
    0
    Liked 398 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Now that I've had some time to think about it , I'm worried that some of the drivers could get hurt riding the scooters .
    Maybe they could each nominate a grid kid to race them .

    We could then bring back the grid girls and arm them with nerf guns and place them around the track .

    And , they could race backwards around the track .
    Yeah , I like that .

    Maybe they should be bicycles instead of scooters .
    Yeah , solar bicycles , that's it .
    Ah , stationary solar bicycles , and the grid kids could power the whole paddock .

    And , the bicycles could have bells on them .
    I have a brilliant idea, they should qualify with all the teams simulator hooked up to cloud F1 2019 game console. A virtual race with points for the first six at the end of the game. And the order the virtual race finished would be the starting order for the race on sunday.

    Of course the Virtual race should be televised and all FIA on track rules apply.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,709
    Like
    60
    Liked 409 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I have a brilliant idea, they should qualify with all the teams simulator hooked up to cloud F1 2019 game console. A virtual race with points for the first six at the end of the game. And the order the virtual race finished would be the starting order for the race on sunday.

    Of course the Virtual race should be televised and all FIA on track rules apply.
    Would they have bells on them ?

    Not the worst idea I've heard , Nitro .
    At Least they wouldn't be risking the equipment they'd need in an actual race .
    It's likely the only way we'd ever hope to see all in identical cars .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •