Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    I just quickly skipped through it, FIA/MotorsportUK no doubt delighted with this message... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6XY...outu.be&t=1123

Exactly the message you DON'T wan't to send to the kind of people who this show is intended for!

Various bit are unintentionally funny where the guy's just talking nonsense and Nabila shoots him down with common sense. For example, presenter lolz at Alberto Heller's boot being open, "this is the madness that could only happen in Mexico", Nabila flatly interrupts "I don't think it just happens in Mexico, it happens everywhere"... At least there's one sensible voice.

EDIT:

Found that, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT7AjyI3BEE , better thing to watch.

From what I've seen, WRC Promoter should use the main RedBullTV/Mike Chen shows as the format for pitching localised highlights to mainstream free to air broadcasters. The basic WRC highlight package elements of those shows could be produced to provide a framework, with the Mike Chen segments just being swapped out, with localised segments of similar length/content with a presenter specific to each country that takes it up being inserted. The faceless standard highlight package that has become increasingly the norm across the world since the ISC/North One era has contributed strongly to giving the sport a cheap and unimportant feel. Here in the UK, even on the low budget Channel 5, the standard highlight package stood out as an oddity in comparison to most popular/mainstream sport coverage.

Sadly I don't think WRC Promoter/RB are making enough effort to secure mainstream broadcasters. They could learn some lessons from Formula E, who have clearly recognised the importance of this. Maybe the WRC needs to wait until the Hybrid era now to be able to pitch the product afresh...
    I mostly agree with you but I still feel we should take the positive side of this show (targeting younger audiences) and realize its part of a larger WRC social media promotion, which we all hope will continue to be developed and improved, not only by RB/MH but also by the manus involved in the series.

Btw, I’ve also looked on other platforms numbers and WRC (P5 on Facebook) is doing quite well on YouTube (P3) and Instagram (P4), while on Twitter is P7. Despite the mainstream media huge support, Formula E is only P8 on Facebook, P8 on Instagram and P9 on Twitter; they’re only better on YouTube (P4, behind WRC) thanks to their races live stream.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    I just quickly skipped through it, FIA/MotorsportUK no doubt delighted with this message... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6XY...outu.be&t=1123

Exactly the message you DON'T wan't to send to the kind of people who this show is intended for!

Various bit are unintentionally funny where the guy's just talking nonsense and Nabila shoots him down with common sense. For example, presenter lolz at Alberto Heller's boot being open, "this is the madness that could only happen in Mexico", Nabila flatly interrupts "I don't think it just happens in Mexico, it happens everywhere"... At least there's one sensible voice.

EDIT:

Found that, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT7AjyI3BEE , better thing to watch.

From what I've seen, WRC Promoter should use the main RedBullTV/Mike Chen shows as the format for pitching localised highlights to mainstream free to air broadcasters. The basic WRC highlight package elements of those shows could be produced to provide a framework, with the Mike Chen segments just being swapped out, with localised segments of similar length/content with a presenter specific to each country that takes it up being inserted. The faceless standard highlight package that has become increasingly the norm across the world since the ISC/North One era has contributed strongly to giving the sport a cheap and unimportant feel. Here in the UK, even on the low budget Channel 5, the standard highlight package stood out as an oddity in comparison to most popular/mainstream sport coverage.

Sadly I don't think WRC Promoter/RB are making enough effort to secure mainstream broadcasters. They could learn some lessons from Formula E, who have clearly recognised the importance of this. Maybe the WRC needs to wait until the Hybrid era now to be able to pitch the product afresh...

Great post. WRC promoter has been asleep at the wheel for years. Just look at wrc.com; it's trash (and that colour scheme with the black and lurid green, good grief.) TV coverage is patchy and almost always on channels nobody watches, late at night. The TV content itself, like wrc.com, is trash. New promoter and/or new strategy is desperately needed to try and arrest the slide, but it feels like it's almost too late.

Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiWRCfan View Post
    WRC Sideways - a new Video magazine from Redbull motorsport
    Unlikely to appeal to hardcore fans but it is things like this that can help introduce new fans to the sport https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6XY2koxQlw
    I am sorry to disagree, but this video is just embarrassingly awful; an absolute load of steaming horse shit. Compare with how it used to be done 20 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA8VHMmUeAo

4. Likes: Augury (31st March 2019),dnb (16th March 2019),tommeke_B (15th March 2019)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    A bit of late photo spam from Mexico (sorry guys!) First time over there for me. I combined the trip with a few tourist days in Guanajuato and then I went to the Sebring 12 Hours the following weekend.

Some thoughts if anyone is interested on the rally. We stayed in Leon about 20mins walk from the service park. Leon is kind of vast and I didn't really warm to the place. Guanajuato is pretty mind-blowing though and a beautiful place to spend a couple of days. Good information on the website. Stages not particularly signposted at all but that's not exactly uncommon the championship. Some stunning stages and views because you're so high up. I personally didn't really feel the altitude too much. The heat and lack of shade was pretty intense at times - especially for a Brit. To the point where I didn't really mind about the small entry as you could get back in the shade quicker. I'd heard reports you could do whatever you wanted on the Mexico stages. I didn't find that to be the case. There didn't seem to be many marshals about at all but plenty of police in spectator areas. Sometimes more than I think was needed. But I didn't have any real issues.

Very few foreign visitors which wasn't a surprise but I found the locals very kind. My mate was hospitalised (18 hours) with food poisoning and fever/dehydration on the second day of our trip which was kind of nuts. The food didn't agree with me particularly either but nothing that bad. Heard some of the teams had issues too. More delicate European stomachs maybe, I don't know.

The new El Brinco jump was pretty shit. Biggest disappointment of the rally for me. Obviously I can't compare atmospheres but it can't be anywhere near the same. You're just stood in a ploughed field looking at a big mound of dirt. Drivers didn't even push hard, certainly on the first run. I think having it on Friday or as the power stage would make it better from an action perspective.

Due to the format of the rally, repeated kms and it essentially being just three mountains, by the final day there was a bit of an issue of trying to find new places/access you hadn't already been. Which I've never encountered before. But it's undoubtedly a well organised event and the service park had the best atmosphere I've seen since Paviljonki in Finland. Probably all the Corona!

So to sum up I'm really glad I went. I wouldn't go back again, but honestly with the distance it would have to have been STUNNING to warrant a return trip. I've done a lot of events now so nice to tick this one off. If anyone is ever thinking of going I can provide more details.

Some photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/949985...57679440260418

1 by Richard Simpson, on Flickr
    2 by Richard Simpson, on Flickr
    5 by Richard Simpson, on Flickr
    8 by Richard Simpson, on Flickr
    4 by Richard Simpson, on Flickr
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

6. Likes: Allez Andruet (20th March 2019),AnttiL (20th March 2019),arko5 (20th March 2019),Barreis (20th March 2019),dodge33cymru (20th March 2019),EstWRC (20th March 2019),MartijnS (20th March 2019),Micke_VOC (27th March 2019),Mirek (20th March 2019),NickRally (20th March 2019),pantealex (20th March 2019),Rally Power (19th March 2019),Rallyper (20th March 2019),sindroms (21st March 2019),stefanvv (19th March 2019),steve.mandzij (20th March 2019),the sniper (19th March 2019),tommeke_B (20th March 2019),TWRC (20th March 2019)
    Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    Simmi

Where were the first and last photographs taken? Stage and possible kms?
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    some really nice hairpins in those photos... i am so jealous.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1 View Post
    Simmi

Where were the first and last photographs taken? Stage and possible kms?
    First one is Shakedown - 1.9km in. Straight up the hill from the water splash.

Last one is Alfaro on Sunday. 18.9km in. There's about a 45min gravel access road to the spectator car park.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    I wonder if the fines were lifted? (From Motorsport News)

"Drivers fined for doing wha they were told"

"You’re right, it is Corsica week and you’re right toe xpect Didier Auriol, Sandro Munari or, at the very least, a Lancia Stratos to feature in the sentences which follow.

Come back next week for more of that.

For now, there’s something I’ve been meaning to discuss with you. A few of the more eagle-eyed among you might have noticed a few stewards’ decisions flying about on the final day of Rally Mexico. These decisions were focused on a breach of not just Article 20.1.3 of the WRC’s Sporting Regulations, but also Article 12.1.1.h of the FIA’s International Sporting Code. The decision left the drivers in question (most of the factory drivers) with a €3000 (£2566) fine.

The crime in question?

Before the start of the opening stage in Mexico, the drivers were presented with a relatively open area – an area they used to scrub gravel tyres to offer improved grip on the Tarmac streets of Guanajuato which lay before them.
    The drivers were, we’re told, encouraged by some officials to ‘put on a bit of a show’ for the fans before the start of the stage and, if they wasted some rubber at the same, then so much the better.
    Then the stewards got involved and took a dim view of this ‘dangerous driving’.

Is it just me that struggles with the irony of this one? Granted, there wasn’t a vast area for the drivers to make donuts, but it seems a bit harsh to penalise the crews for trying to improve the grip from their cars before sending them over one of the most dangerous and pointless artificial jumps in the sport’s recent history. A jump let’s not forget, which had gone unchecked by the FIA and was made of steel which bent and deformed after a handful of cars. And all of that in front of a pile of spectators who – and, admittedly, this might just have been the camera angle – looked quite close to the action.

Throwing stones out of a glass house is a dangerous business.

Enough of that.

To Llandudno. Finally, to Llandudno. I couldn’t agree more that we owe Deeside a debt of gratitude for getting Wales Rally GB out of Cardiff, but the move to the seaside town’s five years overdue. Llandudno’s a rally town and
    has been for years. It hosts the Cambrian, which remains one of Britain’s best, and now, of course, it hosts Britain’s rally champion in Matt Edwards.

Cheltenham in 1999 was the last time our round of the World Rally Championship had arealrallytownfeeltoit.Cardiff’sRallyGBs were most serviced out of Swansea or Builth Wells apart from those latter-day disjointed efforts at keeping everything and everybody in the bay – only to have the field spread over numerous car parks so far apart separate in and out controls were needed for the same service.

No doubt Llandudno’s going to have to be spread over a couple of streets, but at least a sizeable population will be left in no doubt that the world’s best rally drivers are in town. And, come Sunday night, quite possibly in their local."
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"