Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

Format of the WRC rallies

We had a bit of discussion about this in the Citroen thread but let's move the discussion over here

The point was that Ogier suggested that rallies should be shortened to two days (of course, Ogier wants more time with his family) but keeping the stage kilometres at 300 where they are now. This could be doable, by having tighter and longer days of rallying, and like Ogier says, this would increase the endurance element slightly.

My suggestion would be to attempt something like this, to cut one day of the rally week.

FRIDAY
    Morning - Shakedown
    Afternoon - Ceremonial start
    Evening - Opening super special, one loop of stages

SATURDAY
    Three loops of stages instead of two.

SUNDAY
    As it is now.

This way we would simply move half of the Friday stage kilometres onto Saturday. Of course, this would lead into problems like repeated stages would have to be driven on two different days or then implement something like in Finland 2017 where you repeat a stage within a loop instead of over two loops (ie you drive 2-3 stages once, then do them again before going service). Timetable-wise there's also a challenge to cram that many stages into one day, but that would maybe put more emphasis on longer stages, as they are more efficient time-wise (ie it's quicker to drive a 45 km stage than three 15 km stages). This plan would also keep the opening super special on the evening and the ending of the rally on Sunday afternoon, and in addition all the action would happen on the weekend. For team members and spectators it would be one day less of traveling but with the same amount of action available.

How should WRC rallies evolve over the next years? (yeah, we know everyone wants 1000 km events with no repeated stages and overnight driving and return of old Safari etc but let's try to be realistic).

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Absolutely a way to go further.

Maybe you could squeeze one more stage on Sunday, making Saturday slightly not so demanding timewise.
    Sunday schedule should, if so, make possible for some sort of extented remote service.

Sunday could then be a bit mor exciting having a longer one off stage between the two others run twice.
    Having same stage for two days shouldn´t be a problem. Everything is on sight for another 24h which to me as an non-expert, shouldn´t be that tricky.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    I would fully support testing that kind of format. Another option could even be to start on Thursday, have a long Friday with majority of the stages and a Sunday-like Saturday, leaving Sunday for travelling back home (and the fans watching at home could genuinely relax on Sunday).
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

4. Likes: pantealex (12th December 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    I would fully support testing that kind of format. Another option could even be to start on Thursday, have a long Friday with majority of the stages and a Sunday-like Saturday, leaving Sunday for travelling back home (and the fans watching at home could genuinely relax on Sunday).
    So it would be my version but moved ahead one day. I don't understand this logic. To be a spectator on location on your version, you would need off Wednesday for traveling, Thursday and Friday for spectaring, traveling back on Sunday and back to work on Monday. Three days off. On my version, you would have off Thursday for traveling, Friday for watching rally and Monday for traveling back. Three days off. What's the difference? (except that on my version you would need even less days off if you live near enough the event)

For All Live followers, on my version they would get more value for watching the long Saturday at home and the Friday stages in the evening after work instead of maybe missing out on the Friday stages during office hours.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    So it would be my version but moved ahead one day. I don't understand this logic.
    That's exactly the logic It was drawn from a perspective where weekends are valuated higher than weekdays. Don't know if anyone share's the view, but I personally would rather follow the rally (on-site or home) from Thursday evening to Saturday afternoon - having the rest of the weekend free (surely you would need to waste some of that time for travelling back home if you're on-site but anyway).
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

7. Likes: pantealex (12th December 2018)
    Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
    I work in Motorsport so my weekends are either working or competing, Can we not have the WRC on a Monday , Tuesday, Wednesday, See you can't please all the people all the Time :-)

Liked 378 Times in 184 Posts
    I'd like both propositions here to show up. And some of todays style. And some proper 4 days rally. Maybe a rally that actually does it the old style, with the whole circus moving towns each day. So you actually travel through parts of a country.

Add in a Safari-style endurance rally as well, and you suddenly have many different styled rallies, which means the drivers and cars needs to handle even more different challenges. This will also give a more unique feel to each rally, as opposed to what we have today.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (12th December 2018),janvanvurpa (18th December 2018)
    Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    I wouldn't have a set format; I'd like to see a mix of formats - but obviously won't happen. With the limit on pitiful 300km, Endurance is no longer seen in the WRC - and more's the pity.

However, I think the current Sunday's are a damp squib; 40-50km of stages - I ride more on my leisurely Sunday bike ride. If you want a Sunday, then make the most of it; have 70-85km. I'd also like to see them try finishing some events on a Saturday night; Saturday night motorsport could be a good addition on some events...are RBMH/WRC Promoter brave enough to experiment? I think not.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

12. Likes: cali (12th December 2018),stefanvv (12th December 2018)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    My suggestion would be to attempt something like this, to cut one day of the rally week.

FRIDAY
    Morning - Shakedown
    Afternoon - Ceremonial start
    Evening - Opening super special, one loop of stages

SATURDAY
    Three loops of stages instead of two.

SUNDAY
    As it is now.
    I'm afraid this looks more like a day and a half, rather than 2 days of rally. In fact in the current format most of them effectively are 2 days with serious competition, often Sundays are down to Sunday cruising mode and the only competition being the PS.

I like the idea of 3 loops on Saturday though, with last ones being 1-2 night stages (with a night stage also on Friday, can give the flavor of the old rallies). 3 loops give some more options, than just copy-paste the stages in the loop. They can be rotating between the loops.

Repeating stages on 2 days is probably the thing organizers might not be easy to agree with, that would mean the same resources allocated for more than 1 day, closed roads, etc.
    Last edited by stefanvv; 13th December 2018 at 20:21.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

14. Likes: AndyRAC (13th December 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    From spectators point of view, at the location or at home, not better. At location seeing even less stages, not enough time to look around, enjoy local culture and buy stuff (bad for sponsors, organizing country/city). At home, well, Friday evening gone, whole Saturday gone and half of Sunday gone...no time for hobbies (apart for rally ofc ), resting from workdays, going out, doing something at home (cleaning, building etc). A bit longer Friday (most of the time ends around 16-19 in Europe), Saturday starting later with some night-stages, ending the same time and Sunday as it is...not ideal, but i would like it. Much easier in winter, early spring and late autumn.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 12th December 2018 at 21:00.