Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    Currently mk6 transit, mk3 sri cavalier, mk2 cortina 1600gt and wife has a cmax

Previous mk3 astra saloon td, suzuki baleno 1.6 gs, bora 130 sport, b6 passat (wifes), xr3i
    Not such a fan of the newer cars

Liked 5,552 Times in 2,296 Posts
    Ford Fiesta MK8 ST-Line 1.0l 140cv

Felt in love with WRC car... the cupid attacked me. 9 months and 10.000km of fucking fun

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    i ll talk about the sport ones,these i was smiling/smile driving them.
    my first one was a Lada 2105 ex rally car, which had participate at Acropolis too.

renault 5 gt turbo 1990 model.Plenty of mods,renault sport/bilstein grN suspension,engine mountings from renault sport,full hand made exhaust,ds 21 ferodo pads(best pads ever) renault sport head gasket,and from 0,7 bar as oem,i had tune it to 1,3-1,6 bar depenting what fuel i was using.
    After some 200k kms,i build another engine with turbo from saab 9000,Piper uprated cam and some more tweeks.

Then at 2000 came the 306 race 6 speed.Keep it for 5 years completely stock.Excellent suspension,chassis,steering,you could do whatever you want with that feedback itgave to the driver.

At 2005 till now a Mitsubishi evo 8 with Ohlins suspension(tweeked with different settings/coils) ap racing 6pot front /4pot rear brakes,thicker antiroll bars front /rear,some upgrated cams with more duration/lift,and tuned to some 390 bhp and 540Nm

4. Likes: cali (8th December 2018),EstWRC (8th December 2018),Mirek (8th December 2018),Rally Power (10th December 2018),Rallyper (8th December 2018),TWRC (8th December 2018)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Any of these directly influenced by rallying? (Particularly the fiesta?)
    The Seat definitely was; I'd be interested for a few months, and obviously knew of the F2 success/ BRC campaign; it was after watching a TopGear motorsport programme I decided that was the car I was going to buy. It was very good value for money, and a great little car.
    The Skoda was probably influenced by the sport, but it was an under-rated car, which ticked all the boxes.
    To be honest, I'm not sure about the Fiesta; it was a decent deal on offer and the right colour; my first ever car was a Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - so I hadn't driven a Ford for 25 years; maybe the rallying helped, even now I'm not sure.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Currently
    Škoda Octavia RS MkII 2.0T petrol 2007 (just hangs in the yard, using it once after every 2-3 months)
    Honda CR-V 2017

4x4 Octavia RS sounds nice but my wife probl would not be very happy about it

7. Likes: WRC1 (8th December 2018)
    Liked 105 Times in 53 Posts
    no car now. last one was a 1981 mini HL which I loved and wish I could've taken across the world with me

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    (This thread should be in a more sensible place, not under WRC)
    I get that, but the silly season thread was becoming cluttered with the subject of rallying being relevant to car sales nowadays, so thought I'd post this here to try and get an idea if it actually is relevant nowadays.

Where do you propose I put the thread?

As for relevance, so far out of 25 or so posts, two people have cars that are production vehicles that are used in current rallying, one of which purchased because of the link to the rally car, and another not sure. So far, and this is a rally forum, goes to show that rallying is not the best place to spend money in an ROI point of view.

Liked 9,338 Times in 4,958 Posts
    Rallying can only influence you so far.

I love rally and support M-Sport Ford, but havent bought a Fiesta ST after driving one. It's just too small and raw for everyday use.

My (remapped) Focus ST is faster, the 2.5T 5-cyl sounds great and its like a limo in comparison.

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
    Previous cars off note
    Sierra 4x4 - closest I could get to a rally car
    Then Cosworth Sapphire 2WD daily car for 5 years and 100k miles
    Then came along a certain McRae so got a MY98 Scooby Turbo PPP. So easy to drive. Had this for about 6 years
    Next, mainly due to a certain Tommi, an EVO7, which was modified by Tony Cox (Tommi's mechanic). Hard to go for a EVO7 over the TME 6 but again as this was a daily drive a newer car made more sense.
    Cosworth you had to have your head on right to drive it as it could bite, scooby was just the easiest car to drive. Evo was back to Cosworth, it was something else.

So for me win on Sunday buy on Monday works. But back then the cars weren't that far off the rally cars.

Current cars
    F Pace - daughter works at jag so get a good deal
    Exige - love raw british sports cars. Go camping in this to LeMans.
    Wife used to have a Fiesta St until youngest daughter passed her test. Again this was sold to her by showing Evans and co racing around a forest

Eldest daughter, has a Hyundai I30N in the rally blue, which is 99% due to WRC.
    They started watching rally about 4-5 years ago and stand on a Welsh forest for 4 days a year. So without any badge snobbery and history to go off, Hyundai have always been their favorite cars in WRC and the Skoda's in WRC2. Ford a close 2nd due to the British aspect.

If I won the lottery I would have an R5 spec car for the road over any super car.

12. Likes: dimviii (8th December 2018),pantealex (9th December 2018),Rally Power (10th December 2018)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Sierra 4x4 was my first performance car too. Loved the engine note, the power delivery (could drive a roundabout in 5th and still pull away like it was in 3rd) and the balance close to 30/70 front to rear drive split, and the fact McRae drove one in Sweden.

Always felt a little like a wound elastic band on fast sweeping bends though, giving the impression it could snap if you needed to lift off suddenly.