Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Those real rally-inspired cars have gone now. The Mk2 Focus RS was perhaps the last.

Ford took the 'world car' approach since, with the Mk3 Focus only being a very dull-looking 5-door.

My next car will probably be a Golf R, as it's 4WD, still available as a 3-door and has such a quality interior.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Speaking of Golf R, i was thinking about a Cupra estate (the same), which is the most sensible car performance and price-wise at the moment, but couldn`t really sell myself that idea over a M3.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    As for relevance, so far out of 25 or so posts, two people have cars that are production vehicles that are used in current rallying, one of which purchased because of the link to the rally car, and another not sure. So far, and this is a rally forum, goes to show that rallying is not the best place to spend money in an ROI point of view.
    That's not the correct point of view though. What You must look at is the brand. So far it's very clear that Ford or Škoda has much higher percentual share in this thread, i.e. among the rally-oriented people, than in the real world.

You can't base Your assumption on the share of Evos or Imprezas because these cars are
    1) only available with two brands currently not involved in rallying on works level at all
    2) very specialized, i.e. completely unsuitable for anyone who doesn't have them for fun driving but for everyday's life

The target is to enhance brand awarness and boost sales of profitable vehicles. As a result it makes much more if You raise sales of Fiestas by 1% over 10% or even 20% with Evos because Evo sales are very marginal and moreover not profitable. Evo is a pure image maker not a car to make profit from.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Or maybe its just because they are cheap, practical, have good appearance and offer performance-versions also with the same principals? SuperBs and Octavias are also used as taxis and police cars in some places + company cars etc, they offer the best quality-price for that warranty period. Known as a "poor mans" Audi/VW---> once an indicator of quality. When i was young once, and started hobbie-motorsports, i bought a Clio RS 172, searched for similar cars in the net and because it was the cheapest, good enough in stock, i bought it. After that i started to cheer for Renault F1. Did i buy the car because of that team- no, would i have bought one because of them-no. The same applied for Subaru`s and Mitsubishis`s, when someone owned one old, non-rally related model, they tended to be on those teams side also.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 8th December 2018 at 15:30.

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That's not the correct point of view though. What You must look at is the brand. So far it's very clear that Ford or Škoda has much higher percentual share in this thread, i.e. among the rally-oriented people, than in the real world.

You can't base Your assumption on the share of Evos or Imprezas because these cars are
    1) only available with two brands currently not involved in rallying on works level at all
    2) very specialized, i.e. complete unsuitable for anyone who doesn't have them for fun driving

The target is to enhance brand awarness and boost sales of profitable vehicles. As a result it makes much more if You raise sales of Fiestas by 1% over 10% or even 20% with Evos because Evo sales are very marginal and moreover not profitable. Evo is a pure image maker not a car to make profit from.
    Exactly right Mirek. Imprezas/evos etc are not relevant to what I'm getting at. Yes seems quite a lot of Skoda's, good car my brother has Octavia vrs, seems about half maybe bought because the brands rallying pedigree.
    More interesting to know those that have bought a new car in the last year or two, and if the brand had any relevance in rallying and if that played a part in the purchase but still interesting none the less, seems it used to be more relevant than it is now.
    Last edited by Norm75; 8th December 2018 at 15:29.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    Or maybe its just because they are cheap, practical, have good appearance and offer performance-versions also with the same principals?
    This is one of the very common mistake people do. It's not true at all that people mostly buy cheap cars or cheaper versions of cars. Actually most of the cars is being sold with mid to high level of equipment and only a very small percentage with the base equipment level.

I can give You exact numbers for Octavia III. Before the facelift the sales of the base model were exactly 4% of all sold cars. That's why they completely canceled the base model with the facelift, i.e. raised the base price by some 4000 Euro. For them it was not profitable to have the cheapest variant in the portofilio.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    the rallycars of today are small hatchbacks. Small hatches are Mostly for young people or elderly people or to a family just as a second car. Most young people wont have the performance version as the insurance is crazy most old people wont have it cause well y would they. They dont need it. N the wife isnt gonna want ot to run to the shops. It was different in the 90s when u could have bout 4/5 door version of what u seen on the stages and headed of with the family on a sunday run. If i said to the wife come on strap the 3 kids into the back of a 3door fiesta child seats and all we are goin for a drive i know what she would say

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wia5958 View Post
    the rallycars of today are small hatchbacks. Small hatches are Mostly for young people or elderly people or to a family just as a second car. Most young people wont have the performance version as the insurance is crazy most old people wont have it cause well y would they. They dont need it. N the wife isnt gonna want ot to run to the shops. It was different in the 90s when u could have bout 4/5 door version of what u seen on the stages and headed of with the family on a sunday run. If i said to the wife come on strap the 3 kids into the back of a 3door fiesta child seats and all we are goin for a drive i know what she would say
    Well yes, but as Mirek rightly pointed out it's not just about the particular car, but the brand too, be it a focus, i40, avensis or whatever that you can fit a family in.

Commercial vehicles even, there might be a builder out there for instance that choose a transit van because he follows m-sport, you can even get an m-sport edition transit custom, and ford ranger. All the four wrc Manus make vans.
    Last edited by Norm75; 8th December 2018 at 16:51.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlancer555 View Post
    Previous cars off note
    Sierra 4x4 - closest I could get to a rally car
    Then Cosworth Sapphire 2WD daily car for 5 years and 100k miles
    Then came along a certain McRae so got a MY98 Scooby Turbo PPP. So easy to drive. Had this for about 6 years
    Next, mainly due to a certain Tommi, an EVO7, which was modified by Tony Cox (Tommi's mechanic). Hard to go for a EVO7 over the TME 6 but again as this was a daily drive a newer car made more sense.
    Cosworth you had to have your head on right to drive it as it could bite, scooby was just the easiest car to drive. Evo was back to Cosworth, it was something else.

So for me win on Sunday buy on Monday works. But back then the cars weren't that far off the rally cars.

Current cars
    F Pace - daughter works at jag so get a good deal
    Exige - love raw british sports cars. Go camping in this to LeMans.
    Wife used to have a Fiesta St until youngest daughter passed her test. Again this was sold to her by showing Evans and co racing around a forest

Eldest daughter, has a Hyundai I30N in the rally blue, which is 99% due to WRC.
    They started watching rally about 4-5 years ago and stand on a Welsh forest for 4 days a year. So without any badge snobbery and history to go off, Hyundai have always been their favorite cars in WRC and the Skoda's in WRC2. Ford a close 2nd due to the British aspect.

If I won the lottery I would have an R5 spec car for the road over any super car.
    Nice! Especially the last sentence.

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    My first car was a Polo 6N2 1.4 TDI from 2000. Then a Fiesta "Red Edition" (1.0 Ecoboost, 140hp). In the beginning of a year I've traded it in for a Fiesta ST from '15. Haven't regretted it. Did 25 000kms so far, with the ST, had quite a lot of fun.