Page 49 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Emil has done five Rally Swedens and eighteen WRC events so not exactly inexperienced, although not so many events in an R5 car.

Can’t speak for others but I don’t think I personally ever criticised his talent. I did criticise his decision to drive a PSA R5 though. I still think that set back his career.

You shouldn’t be so sensitive
    Yeah, I might be that, but some comments are not consistent.

However this time I just called for positive opinions on Emils performance, which, as said before, I think was fully accepted. But no one did say much before I started talk about him.

It´s easy to forget just after the rally how many favourites it was in WRC2. Now he finished 4th, which not many expected. Only that.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Veiby has been faster than Berqvist 4 times now in Sweden.
    Actually every 5 time but Veiby has 1 DNF.

Yes, different cars every time but still...

4th for EmilB was great result, I admit that but he wasn´t very fast.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

3. Likes: cali (20th February 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Veiby has been faster than Berqvist 4 times now in Sweden.
    Actually every 5 time but Veiby has 1 DNF.

Yes, different cars every time but still...

4th for EmilB was great result, I admit that but he wasn´t very fast.
    Could be discussed over and over. What is fast? Winning seven stages and crash out?

Just kidding. Emil was fast, don´t say anything else. Fast after what his circumstances allowed, tactics, material, funding, Km of tests etz...

How could one expect him to win? How could it be possible? Cars are enough different for him only to be kind of underdog...

(To be fair difference was small in 2016 - and in 2015 not same class)
    Last edited by Rallyper; 20th February 2019 at 15:34.

Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Come on, this is just BS. Kalle has had nothing handed to him. Ofcourse he had the possibility to drive a RWD Starlet as a kid, which not many youngsters can do, but he's a factory driver only because of what he has shown on special stages. Not because of his father or anyone else. And sorry, but your last sentence just doesn't mean anything. He's already driven a lot "against opponents who have the same equipment and preparation".
    He has had everything handed to him. He never had to do anything but drive, always with the best preparation and equipment, while everybody else has to start when they get their drivers license on a small budget, without professional backup, between work and school.

Its not about that starlet, it's about his dady taking him to latvia to drive, its about the 60.000€ c2 r2 when he was 13 years old. Its about the 300.000€ car when he was 16.
    Its about the hundereds of thousands of euros that his 2017 season must have cost.
    Ordinary drivers have to prove themself first.

Its easy to be the best when you basically can live like a professional driver, with all the best material and unlimited access to testing and help, and you compete against amateurs with lesser cars and almost no testing.

He seens talented and perhaps a future champion, but we are only starting to see how he does compared to other factory drivers. So far imo he does really well, not exceptional, but more then what i expected.
    If he can up his level a bit to rise above the others he might be in a wrc car not so long from here.

Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    I prefer to see someone ‘organically grown’ too, but let’s face it nobody can get anywhere in motorsport unless they have at least a bit of money behind them from the beginning,
    Ogier, neuville, loeb, tanak, meeke.

There are where they are now because of their talent, not because of their rich daddy. And that's wat differates them from drivers like ostberg, mikkelsen or even latvala.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Could be discussed over and over. What is fast? Winning seven stages and crash out?
    They say it's easier to make a fast driver reliable than to make a reliable driver fast.

Winning seven stages and crashing will get you more attention then seven 10th places and staying on the road.

6. Likes: Rally Power (21st February 2019)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    He has had everything handed to him. He never had to do anything but drive
    Oh dear how conflicting. If he had everything handed to him, he never had to drive in the first place, right? And last time I checked, to be successful in rallying is mostly about driving. You know, to prove your worth on a special stage. Daddy isn't driving. Not even co-driving.

Its not about that starlet, it's about his dady taking him to latvia to drive, its about the 60.000€ c2 r2 when he was 13 years old. Its about the 300.000€ car when he was 16.
    Its about the hundereds of thousands of euros that his 2017 season must have cost.
    And what did Kalle do in those occations if not prove himself?
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    He has had everything handed to him. He never had to do anything but drive, always with the best preparation and equipment, while everybody else has to start when they get their drivers license on a small budget, without professional backup, between work and school.

Its easy to be the best when you basically can live like a professional driver, with all the best material and unlimited access to testing and help, and you compete against amateurs with lesser cars and almost no testing.
    You seem to know a lot of his past, right? So tell us all How hasn't Kalle proven himself before taking all those steps? "unlimited testing" - How is 1 pre event test per event "unlimited"? How isn't winning his first 4wd start already enough to prove his capable of driving fast with an S2000/R5, He almost won Pontus Tidemand on his R5 debut when Pontus was already a factory driver for Skoda at that time.

Of course Kalle has had a lot of help from his father and from his sponsors, but how is that anything against him? He is still by far the most talented 18yo rally driver there is even thought experience wise he could be much older.

Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    And Østberg announced in FIA press conference post Sweden he's also going next to Argentina.
    Hopefully will he then have gotten some new springs, dampers and so on, to turn the asphalt inspired C3, to a gravel car. He need to make it softer to get traction and feeling into the stiff car.

I guess he has the testcar (EW 186 BF) in the Adapta Garage, so he gets many hours in it.

9A77EAEC-B356-4960-B029-7037A494B183.jpg

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    All of them have paid and quite a lot, denkimi. Meeke, i don`t know, probably also. Ogier started with FFSA, Loeb started with FFSA, Tänak started with personal sponsors and was a paying driver pretty much until 2017 i think, Neuville was sponsored by Serderidis.

Everyone who is up there has paid, probably all even with their personal money until one point.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 20th February 2019 at 19:10.

11. Likes: Allez Andruet (20th February 2019),pantealex (21st February 2019)
    Liked 825 Times in 373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    All of them have paid and quite a lot, denkimi. Meeke, i don`t know, probably also. Ogier started with FFSA, Loeb started with FFSA, Tänak started with personal sponsors and was a paying driver pretty much until 2017 i think, Neuville was sponsored by Serderidis.

Everyone who is up there has paid, probably all even with their personal money until one point.
    Neuville was sponsored by Nasser not Serderidis. And many others had.. Like Sordo with RACC.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6013 met Tapatalk

He seens talented and perhaps a future champion, but we are only starting to see how he does compared to other factory drivers. So far imo he does really well, not exceptional, but more then what i expected.
    If he can up his level a bit to rise above the others he might be in a wrc car not so long from here.

Ogier, neuville, loeb, tanak, meeke.

There are where they are now because of their talent, not because of their rich daddy. And that's wat differates them from drivers like ostberg, mikkelsen or even latvala.

They say it's easier to make a fast driver reliable than to make a reliable driver fast.

Winning seven stages and crashing will get you more attention then seven 10th places and staying on the road.
    Crashing out as a fast driver is good, better is staying safe and get experience on 4th places for a while. Not comparing to 10th places, it´s an hyperbole...