Page 50 of 103 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
    Liked 64 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    He has had everything handed to him. He never had to do anything but drive, always with the best preparation and equipment, while everybody else has to start when they get their drivers license on a small budget, without professional backup, between work and school.

Its not about that starlet, it's about his dady taking him to latvia to drive, its about the 60.000€ c2 r2 when he was 13 years old. Its about the 300.000€ car when he was 16.
    Its about the hundereds of thousands of euros that his 2017 season must have cost.
    Ordinary drivers have to prove themself first.

Its easy to be the best when you basically can live like a professional driver, with all the best material and unlimited access to testing and help, and you compete against amateurs with lesser cars and almost no testing.

He seens talented and perhaps a future champion, but we are only starting to see how he does compared to other factory drivers. So far imo he does really well, not exceptional, but more then what i expected.
    If he can up his level a bit to rise above the others he might be in a wrc car not so long from here.

Ogier, neuville, loeb, tanak, meeke.

There are where they are now because of their talent, not because of their rich daddy. And that's wat differates them from drivers like ostberg, mikkelsen or even latvala.

They say it's easier to make a fast driver reliable than to make a reliable driver fast.

Winning seven stages and crashing will get you more attention then seven 10th places and staying on the road.
    Are you jealous of Kalle?!

2. Likes: pantealex (21st February 2019)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Money will always be needed to succed in Rally but it’s impossible to win on a WRC level without a huge talent. So, it makes little sense to guess if a driver gets his money from dad, sponsors or a bank loan; it’ll never buy him talent.

On the other hand, and that’s denkimi post interesting part, natural skills can be perfectioned through intensive training. Having kids practicing since a very young age is common in almost all sports and we had others premature rally prodigys before Rovanpera, althougth the intensive social media coverage around him has clearly made his case more noticeable.

With other kids (and their dads) eagerly trying to follow Rovanpera’s footsteps, we’ll probably end with drivers becoming younger and younger and service parks starting to look as a schollyard, like in F1. Honestly, I hope not.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 21st February 2019 at 13:40.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    Not a happy Mads...

Ostberg says he felt afraid and uncomfortable on his first start in Citroen's C3 R5 car on last weekend's #WRC Rally Sweden

https://t.co/sA8Ye1v5JC

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Has he ever been?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

6. Likes: AL14 (21st February 2019),cali (21st February 2019),RS (21st February 2019)
    Liked 3,789 Times in 1,684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Money will always be needed to succed in Rally but it’s impossible to win on a WRC level without a huge talent.
    What about Elfyn Evans and Mads Ostberg?

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek;1209 656
    Has he ever been?
    He was when he got the needed changes made to the C3 WRC last year...

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    From the article: " I feel my experience isn't enough to find a solution for this."

If your experience isn't enough, after 10 years in the WRC, you have a problem.

10. Likes: cali (21st February 2019)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    From the article: " I feel my experience isn't enough to find a solution for this."

If your experience isn't enough, after 10 years in the WRC, you have a problem.
    I wouldn't be that harsh. Only few drivers have the technical background to know what to change to get what they want. Normally it's the work of engineers to listen to the drivers and make adjustment up to their liking. On the other hand I agree that with Ostberg it looks like the same old song all the time no matter which car he drives. Either he doesn't know what he wants or he can't express his wishes in an understandable way or he keeps working with incompetent people all the time.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

12. Likes: cali (21st February 2019)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    However Mads did well in WRC car in Finland. How much was his experience used back then, before the rally?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Not a happy Mads...

Ostberg says he felt afraid and uncomfortable on his first start in Citroen's C3 R5 car on last weekend's #WRC Rally Sweden

https://t.co/sA8Ye1v5JC
    I wonder how long does Citroën listen how poor car Citroën C3 R5 is according Mads

15. Likes: cali (21st February 2019),RS (21st February 2019)