Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://www.rallit.fi/kalle-rovanper...n-mm-sarjasta/

Skoda Motorsport quitting as a factory team
    A shame

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://www.rallit.fi/kalle-rovanper...n-mm-sarjasta/
    Skoda Motorsport quitting as a factory team
    Is that site a credible source? Anyway, if true that's a shame; is there any hope this could mean a move to RC1 having 2022 Hybrids in mind?
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Is that site a credible source? Anyway, if true that's a shame; is there any hope this could mean a move to RC1 having 2022 Hybrids in mind?
    Well, I write route previews for them and thus know the people who write there. It says "according to the information we have received" which is always worth a doubt, but then again some say this decision has been known for months already.

I also thought that it could mean a switchover to hybrids, but then again, maybe the can sell as much R5 cars as they can build without a team for marketing

4. Likes: Rally Power (11th October 2019)
    Liked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhlord View Post
    A shame
    Is it? They were the only factory team in WRC2.
    They still sell their cars, so actually no harm done.

6. Likes: pantealex (13th October 2019)
    Liked 252 Times in 158 Posts
    They achieve everything that could have been achieved on that stage, so why bother doing that. But they was one of two only manufacturers that provide some youngsters to progress to the top line. Without them M-Sport is the only one doing that job now after that.

While many of manufacturers is loud about ne technology and ho they want to implement them I don't know why are most of them leave now in many disciplines.
    Dakar - Peugeot
    WorldRX - Peugeot, VW, Ford
    WRC2 - Skoda
    WRC VW, strong rumors about Citroen being next one.

But on the other side Subaru & Mitsubishi are (at least what I heard) looking again at rallying. I don't know what that mean - is it WRC or just building machines for customers for nationals.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    The situation will get worse with the time.

Political and social pressure makes the manufacturers to invest into EV and other so called green technologies.
    The so called green technologies can not be effectively promoted by motorsport of any kind because people willing to buy EV mostly see motorsport as something fundamentally wrong.
    It is near impossible to make the fans of traditional motorsport follow alternative means of motorsport, i.e. with EVs, while the others are not interested in any sort of racing at all.
    Another ongoing trend of higher and higher automation of driving also points to a situation when motorsport is going to be a redundant thing for marketing of mainstream manufacturers (even without EVs).
    All in all it means that rally, racing or other performance-based competitions are virtually dead as marketing tool for the future.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

9. Likes: cali (13th October 2019)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    All in all it means that rally, racing or other performance-based competitions are virtually dead as marketing tool for the future.
    I’m not that pessimistic, but I’m ashamed of FIA behaviour; instead of fighting some of the green mobility BS, like EV’s ecological issues, Mr. Todt and Co. seem eager to follow the mainstream political correctness.
    Rally addict since 1982

11. Likes: cali (13th October 2019)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    I’m not that pessimistic, but I’m ashamed of FIA behaviour; instead of fighting some of the green mobility BS, like EV’s ecological issues, Mr. Todt and Co. seem eager to follow the mainstream political correctness.
    If you think that the best way to ensure future of motorsport is to fight against EV ecolological issues then you have a real problem.

Instead they should actively promote motorsport as an arena to show that
    a) EV can be "fun/entertaining" even for petrolheads. Quote from Top Gear test of Tesla Roadster quite many years ago: "The first electric car that you actually want to buy".

(for the deniers, yes EVs can be fun/entertaining, just depends on the design, only real issue is sound, which can be added artifically. Then again rally car on a gravel stage does make quite many sounds even without engine, same on tarmac at anything over 90 kph)

b) motorsport can be used by manus to showcase how good they are at hybrid/ev development

(Tesla and quite a lot of others are guite keen to show off 0-100 times, nurburgring times etc, so no it's not true that people that buy EVs see motorsport as something fundamentally wrong. In fact most Tesla buyers come from previous BMW owners)

13. Likes: Allez Andruet (11th October 2019),AnttiL (11th October 2019),Got Mail (12th October 2019),RS (11th October 2019)
    Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    I don't think FIA really has any alternative there. Sadly, motorsport in this current scale will quite possibly be dead anyway in not that distant future from now (I am talking decades rather than years), no matter what the FIA does. But if they didn't take this "political correct" route now in the current climates that we live in, both global and political, then the end will only end up coming a lot sooner.

15. Likes: Allez Andruet (11th October 2019),AnttiL (11th October 2019),Mirek (11th October 2019),pantealex (13th October 2019)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    If you think that the best way to ensure future of motorsport is to fight against EV ecolological issues then you have a real problem.

Instead they should actively promote motorsport as an arena to show that
    a) EV can be "fun/entertaining" even for petrolheads. Quote from Top Gear test of Tesla Roadster quite many years ago: "The first electric car that you actually want to buy".

(for the deniers, yes EVs can be fun/entertaining, just depends on the design, only real issue is sound, which can be added artifically. Then again rally car on a gravel stage does make quite many sounds even without engine, same on tarmac at anything over 90 kph)

b) motorsport can be used by manus to showcase how good they are at hybrid/ev development

(Tesla and quite a lot of others are guite keen to show off 0-100 times, nurburgring times etc, so no it's not true that people that buy EVs see motorsport as something fundamentally wrong. In fact most Tesla buyers come from previous BMW owners)
    Let's not lie to ourselves. Racing EVs are fun to drive, not fun to spectate and the main problem is that you simply can not divert the current motorsport audience to EVs because large majority of it either outright refuse them or considers them to be the most boring thing on Earth. The other part of the public, let's say potential audience is not interested in any form of automotive competition at all.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

17. Likes: cali (13th October 2019),er88 (11th October 2019),m-ast (22nd October 2019),pantealex (13th October 2019),Rally Power (13th October 2019),TWRC (13th October 2019)