Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rally Italia Sardegna 2019 Trip

Planning a trip for 4 people to Sardinia for 2019 - looking for some advice pls - total rally noob here

Are the WRC dates fixed, I am looking to book flights but don't want to be left with no rally to watch...

We will fly into Olbia, and stay in Alghero - and hire a car for the duration (Thursday 13th June to Sunday 16th June 2019)

Gold Pass tickets are optional yeh? Would you recommend any of these? Or just explore ourselves?

Is the route released yet, is Alghero a good base or would you recommend elsewhere (Olbia?)

Anything else?
    Cheers in advance
    Ben

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baconsandwich View Post

Is the route released yet, is Alghero a good base or would you recommend elsewhere (Olbia?)
    No, will probably be released in 2-3 of months. It's a small island and you can't be too far from the route anywhere. But the rally is based in Alghero and this year the route was moved closer to it and further from Olbia to reduce liaisons.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    If you stay in Alghero you've got a decent base for the rally, plus you can walk to service and there's some nice places in the old town. Quite a few drivers out having a beer on Sunday night too. I think most people rent cars from Olbia and drive across. That's what we did this year.

You don't need the gold pass. It gets you some pass-only spectator areas and parking closer to the tape but it's not always policed that well. Once a marshal wouldn't let us drive up to a stage because we didn't have a pass but we just parked on the main road. Up to you, but if I went again I wouldn't buy it. You need a ticket to go to the Itirri SSS if they run that again.

Heard some horror stories about accessing the Monte Lerno jump in terms of walking but we got there nice and early, drove straight through the gold parking area and parked up at the tape. It was only when we got back to the car that we realised we'd actually parked stage side. You could see our hire car from all the onboards.

Definitely go the power stage if that still runs again on the coast.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

4. Likes: AL14 (5th December 2018)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Heard some horror stories about accessing the Monte Lerno jump in terms of walking but we got there nice and early, drove straight through the gold parking area and parked up at the tape. It was only when we got back to the car that we realised we'd actually parked stage side. You could see our hire car from all the onboards.
    lol

6. Likes: dimviii (5th December 2018),EstWRC (5th December 2018),satnav (5th December 2018),the sniper (5th December 2018),TWRC (5th December 2018)
    Liked 258 Times in 103 Posts
    Alghero is good place to camp out during rally. Service is close and beach also. We got to meet Sordo,Neuville,Prokop and many more drivers on Sunday night beach bar just 10 m from our apartment. Liaisons in the mornings were not so bad, max 1 hour drive to stages. Parking was a bit hectic but soon we looked for random access roads to stages and then all was ok. You have to watch both passes of sunday super special because after first pass it is impossible to get to that stage without walking 5 km. It took like 1 hour to drive that distance out of the stage access road after. We did not buy passes last year and prob not this year also. This time we fly to Olbia and drive to Alghero from there.

Language barrier was very noticeable, it was very hard to even order food in county sides. Sign language and crash course of italian language is a must. Just say Cotoletta and birra if you are hungry and everything is ok.

How are the Olbia rental car situations, should i book 2 cars now or is there time to do that? Plane tickets and accommodation already booked.
    Last edited by Oliverk; 5th December 2018 at 18:25.

8. Likes: EstWRC (5th December 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverk View Post
    How are the Olbia rental car situations, should i book 2 cars now or is there time to do that? Plane tickets and accommodation already booked.
    I think I booked two months before the rally and had no problem. But maybe other people have had other experiences.

Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Not the same place but i booked car and Airbnb apartment 1 day before leaving to Spain this year, no stress!
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    is the boycott dead in the water? https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...a-2019-boycott

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baconsandwich View Post
    Well the calendar is confirmed and agreed by all the parties. Probably the WRC Promoter is compensating the logistics expenses to the teams

Have to assume it will be the final year for Sardinia next season. I ticked off Corsica and Sardinia this year for that reason.