Threaded View

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Can Hamilton reach Schumacher's benchmark record?

Michael Schumacher stunned the F1 world when he claimed his 7th F1 driver titles to become the greatest and must successfully F1 driver of all time. His achievement was so incredulous that drivers of previous generation's proclamation of Fangio as the GOAT was swiftly reduced to muffled murmurs. A new GOAT was born and he appeared untouchable. I remember the commentaries only too well, it said "l don't think anyone would be able to touch this record l my life time". I always believed that the Schumacher record was an holy grail of F1 reserved for the fantasy of the coming generation.

When Vettel racked up four world championships, hardened veterans of F1 racing murmured, "is he the promised one, can he reach seven titles". At the time Vettel was a fresh face with four drivers title under his belt. The stuff of dreams for many. Now, along comes Hamilton after what seemed like a doomed career at Mclaren and a decryed move to Mercedes that turned out to be an inspired move, a move that presented him with the car to rack up four more titles. Some 61 years since Juan Manuel Fangio became the first and only driver to win five F1 titles; except Schumacher, Hamilton after a hard fought 2018 season became a five time drivers world champion. A stuff of wild fantasy.

We find ourselves in our live time, with the possibility of another driver within touching distance of the F1 holy grail of seven F1 driver's title. While we are still trying to properly process and digest the fact that a new five time world champion now exist in F1, we find ourselves forced to entertain the question of whether the Holy Grail of F1 is now attainable.

The question therefore is, can Hamilton who is two titles away from the Schumacher Grail reach this very lofty achievement?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th November 2018 at 18:35.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare