Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirt Rally 2

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [RMC]Pip View Post
    I have no real world rally car experience so I can only compare the feeling to previous DiRTs / rally games. I have only sampled the AWD Group A cars on gravel.
    In DR1 I have to be on my toes to keep up a good enough rhythm, if I step up I literally sweat after a long stage. If I misjudge a line or a corner / don't set up the car correctly then it takes a couple of corners to get the car back up to speed and get back to rhythm. In DR2, I feel the complete opposite - you can halt the car in no time, negotiate the corners very easily and can drive way more causally as the game is way more tolerant. One can attack the stages in DR2 very easily compared to the previous two DiRT iterations. Don't get me wrong, it can be challenging as well if you are really going for it. But for me, just to stay on the road while maintaining an OKAY speed is way more difficult in DR1. Maybe as you said, the weightlessness remedy helps staying on road. But I feel that the cars are more grippy.

Do you prefer DR1? I couldnt go back to it now.
    I like the Grp B cars (particularly the T16 and S4) and 911 RS. I've only had a brief go in the GpA Impreza, it felt ok iirc.
    I think I know what you mean regarding getting back up to speed or at least feeling like you have, do you think its the motion blur effect kicking in a bit prematurely? The cars also all feel like they have a fair bit more power than in DR1

Yes, It is far easier to drive casually, to an extent understeer is perhaps too minimal... or at least feels that way after DR1.. but you can also push a lot harder and get into a nice very precise flow if you are on it.
    DR1 just felt very loose in comparison... like 4wd with open diffs, no precision in comparison to the sequel.
    I think DR2 has modelled the diffs extremely well,
    in fact I find the gravel physics and handling realism to be quite exceptional on the whole. Tarmac is just a mess at the moment.

When I first tried it I didnt like it... it took me a lot of effort to get my G25 and the ffb working to an acceptable level. Then it all clicked. Now it has really grown on me and the more I play the better it gets. I find bonnet cam to give exactly the right feel for me. I take it you use a wheel?

Mr Jan. No explanation required, I get it. Why pay full whack for a game that isnt quite fully working yet. I wouldnt either. I dont feel short changed paying £40 for the deluxe version though. No regrets at all..

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    I would love to have a go with DR1 handling on these new stages - the hand-crafted roads are really good again and the new locations are awesome. Really don't know why can't they introduce new destinations like Ireland, Barum ...

In my case getting back up to speed doesn't have anything to do with motion blur. In DR2, I can just floor the pedal, and get very little dance from the car, it just shoots out without any wiggling. In DR1 I have to apply it more gently. DR1 is much more unforgiving - if you miss your line on a corner, it is much harder to decelerate the car and correct your mistake and get back to speed. In DR2 I can correct mid corner and accelerate / brake at will. This would mean a sure spin in DR1.

In DR1 I always have to set up the car very nicely before a hairpin, I really struggle with them to conserve nice momentum through the corner. Now, in DR2 I take 9 out of 10 with ease, much easier for me to control the car with the accelerator / handbrake.

Agreed, understeer is minimal and it is much easier to attack the stages - the flowing stages of New Zealand are awesome. Yeah, I use a wheel with dash cam.

Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [RMC]Pip View Post
    I have no real world rally car experience so I can only compare the feeling to previous DiRTs / rally games. I have only sampled the AWD Group A cars on gravel.
    In DR1 I have to be on my toes to keep up a good enough rhythm, if I step up I literally sweat after a long stage. If I misjudge a line or a corner / don't set up the car correctly then it takes a couple of corners to get the car back up to speed and get back to rhythm. In DR2, I feel the complete opposite - you can halt the car in no time, negotiate the corners very easily and can drive way more causally as the game is way more tolerant. One can attack the stages in DR2 very easily compared to the previous two DiRT iterations. Don't get me wrong, it can be challenging as well if you are really going for it. But for me, just to stay on the road while maintaining an OKAY speed is way more difficult in DR1. Maybe as you said, the weightlessness remedy helps staying on road. But I feel that the cars are more grippy.
    Could it be that it is because cars lack realistic momentum? In DR1 it was a little bit more loose, but still couldn't really feel the natural weight of the car.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Glad to hear they have fixed cars getting thrown wildly into the scenery by tiny (or sometimes invisible) bumps! I find DR1 can be unrealistically twitchy and inconsistent at times.

Have they improved the hopeless pace notes and clunky 'original playstation' user interface?

Quote Originally Posted by flykas View Post
    Could it be that it is because cars lack realistic momentum? In DR1 it was a little bit more loose, but still couldn't really feel the natural weight of the car.
    Thats exactly how DR1 felt for me too. I recently tried the RFPE mod for it the other week. It added a lot of mass to the car but it was definately too much, it made the cars power/weight ratio unrealistic... too gutless.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Glad to hear they have fixed cars getting thrown wildly into the scenery by tiny (or sometimes invisible) bumps! I find DR1 can be unrealistically twitchy and inconsistent at times.

Have they improved the hopeless pace notes and clunky 'original playstation' user interface?
    They have improved the user interface but from what I remember, the notes are actually a step back? The call timing seems a lot more inconsistent from event to event.
    I thought the DR1 notes system worked ok, they were the least of its problems IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I thought the DR1 notes system worked ok, they were the least of its problems IMO.
    I find them terribly inconsistent, some stages actually seem easier to drive by ignoring them and driving blind!

Timing is all over the place (some ok, some too early, some way too late) and some calls are just completely wrong.

With practice you learn which calls are really bad and ignore them, which I guess is easier than memorising a whole stage with no notes. I've actually wondered if they included wrong notes deliberately so that people spend more time playing to learn the stages. I don't think its possible to set good times driving to the notes without learning the stages even if your car control is excellent.

I don't like the format of the notes in general either though tbh - putting the direction before the number (which doesn't seem to even relate to gear/speed, just the geometry of the corner) seems backwards compared to most, the important information can get muddled by extra non-critical stuff and I find them unclearly spoken at times too (whether the codrivers accent is a factor there I'm not sure, I don't remember having that problem with RBR). All those small things add up to having to concentrate more on understanding the notes than I should (or take my eyes off the road briefly to look at the visual pace note indicator), which leaves less attention on the driving.

I expect I'll get more accustomed to it over time, I've only been playing DR1 sporadically for a few months not daily for years like some people.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I expect I'll get more accustomed to it over time, I've only been playing DR1 sporadically for a few months not daily for years like some people.
    Yeah, TBH, I largely knew the DR1 stages well enough that I stopped paying much attention to them and maybe thats why its not even a memory... but now with new stages in DR2, I have to... but I'm finding them not the greatest.

If you like DR1 I think you will really dig DR2.0, Its far from perfect but lots of huge improvements in important areas.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

9. Likes: GravelBen (1st March 2019)
    To be honest DR1 is a game I want to like (I loved RBR and spent countless hours playing that with various mods) but so far I just find it frustratingly inconsistent (to the point of being unrealistic), which is why I don't play it more often.

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flykas View Post
    Yeah, could be! The game started to grow on me after playing it more. Now I find it more in-line with DR1 (driving difficulty). The pace notes are a step back IMHO. In DR1 it was much more detailed and varied, and the calls were made more or less according to a good rhythm.