Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Back in the 80s I think Max would have punched Ocon to be honest. I don’t blame him for being pissed, what Ocon did was ridiculous. Personally I think Ocon should get a race ban, you cannot take the leader out like that.
    Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFky8hpVolg

I still remember watching this one live with my Dad :-).

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFky8hpVolg

I still remember watching this one live with my Dad :-).
    Haha yeah that one

3. Likes: Duncan (11th November 2018)
    2 days community service for Max for the incident with Ocon.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    2 days community service for Max for the incident with Ocon.
    I think the stewards are getting soft.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

It has been a great season. Ferrari really impressed but still have operational issues to resolve in order for them to be properly ready to be constructors world champion. They did not win the constructors title because they have not deserved it. Mercedes was more deserving of winning the constructors title because they have shown true grit in the face of a harder competition from a much stronger opposition and have prevailed. They made less mistakes and dug deep to find performance when it seemed impossible. Admittedly, they were helped by the mistakes that Ferrari and Vettel made this season. But they took the manna from heaven when they presented themselves.

The opposition upped their game this season. Redbull won four races, one more than they managed last year and may have won their fifth at Interlagos but for the unfortunate crash with the Force India of Ocon. Ferrari turned up this season with a brilliant car that seemed capable of winning both titles. For the first time in the hybrid era, a Mercedes was lapped by a Ferrari. Also, we saw Mercedes properly rattled and scratching their heads by the form of another team.

I think Ferrari can keep their shin up. They have race like champions that they are. What could have been if they did not go down the wrong design path at Singapore.

Redbull are looking fiesty and bullish for 2019. It would be great if Honda can turn up with a solid package in 2019. I would love to see what Verstapenn can do with a closely matched car to the Mercedes and Ferrari.

It was painfull for me to watch Mclaren and Williams struggle this season. And l am disappointed that Alonso has finally departed F1 due to not finding a competitive car. I hope Mclaren and Williams find their form next season. That said, Sauber really impressed this year and helped us discover a new talent in Charles Leclec.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 12th November 2018 at 05:13.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: Duncan (12th November 2018)
    Having had time to reflect on the Max/Ocon incident, I think that Max must take some small share of the responsibility. What Ocon did was stupid but Max could have given him more room as well.

As for Dr. Helmut Marko implying that it was somehow a ploy between Mercedes and Ocon so Ocon could gain favour with his team, that has to be one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever heard from anyone.

Next year will be interesting. Supposedly all teams have lost downforce points with the new regulations except for RBR. Apparently they bave found a way to maintain current downforce levels. With the cars expected to be 1.5 seconds slower next year RBR, coupled with a vastly improving Honda engine could be title contenders. Mercedes and Ferrari could find themselves lagging behind significantly.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 12th November 2018 at 09:34.

Next year will be interesting. Supposedly all teams have lost downforce points with the new regulations except for RBR. Apparently they bave found a way to maintain current downforce levels. With the cars expected to be 1.5 seconds slower next year RBR, coupled with a vastly improving Honda engine could be title contenders. Mercedes and Ferrari could find themselves lagging behind significantly.
    I agree, Redbull will be very strong next year and well in the mix at the sharp end. Niggly reliability issues are still prevalent in the Honda powerpod which may be problematic or not. But you can see how bullish and confident Redbull are for 2019. Verstapenn clearly can sense an opportunity to fight for the title next year.

That said, l think Mercedes are going to dump the 2018 chassis and design a new chassis for 2019. Their current chassis seem to have reached end of shelf life, it has delivered all the performance that can be squeezed out of it. It was slower than the Ferrari and the Redbull aerodynamically but occasionally faster in Hamilton's hands due to its mechanical strength. If they turn up with this chassis next year, they would be comprehensively beaten.

Ferrari have a chassis that can be refined to match the Redbull chassis. Hence, l would not rule out Ferrari from being the car to beat in 2019. But l fully expect Redbull to win as many races as Mercedes and Ferrari next season. I think it is going to be another closely fought and very tight season. The margin for error between the top three would be very small and maybe the determinant of how the season is won.

It is also very possible that a Brawn-like scenario might occur with one of the midfield teams emerging out of the winter with a unique design that puts them ahead of the pack. Imagine Mclaren or Williams or Haas or Force India or Renault suddenly emerging as the team to beat in 2019. That would make for a very cool season. We may end that season with an unlikely champion, which means any of the new rookies for 2019 [George Russel or Lando Norris] may win the title in their first year. It also opens the possibility for Sainz, Perez, Magnussen, Grosjean and even Raikonen in the Sauber to be the 2019 Driver World champion. Imagine that.

We shall also enjoy a display of experience versus youthful determination. Vettel shall have his hands full with Leclec while also battling the youthfull Redbull pair. The story is the same for Hamilton but more problematic for Vettel with one of them in his camp.

I can't quite picture Redbull for next season. But l don't think Verstapenn shall have it his own way. I have a feeling that Gastly would surprise him and give him some very frustrating weekends. Horner would need to manage this situation very carefully without damaging one of their drivers spirit.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 12th November 2018 at 11:41.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Great race, really enjoyed that..

Congrats to Merc on winning the constructors championship.

A shame for Max... Ocon shouldnt have done that (Imo) but as Lewis says.. Ocon does have the right to unlap himself so be prepared for the unexpected and dont just assume your lead will be respected. Good advice for Max and I'm sure he will learn from it.

If McLaren have gone backwards with Renault and the Torro Rosso have moved forward with the Honda unit... Dont Red Bull look like they have a very realistic shot at bringing the fight to Merc and Ferrari next year?

Never thought I'd ever want Red Bull to be truly competative again but I really do... what a mouth watering prospect!

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Didn't McLaren finish 9th with 30 points and STR 7th with 53? Right now STR is 9th with 33 points and McLaren 6th with 62. What am I missing? Isn't Honda's progress from an horrible engine to just an almost mediocre one? I don't get what Honda does to continuously generate all this hype even if they constantly fail.

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
    Bottas makes me appreciate Rosberg so much
    Had an old engine fitted in Mexico, had to drive with lot less power to save the engine as it was passed its allocated milage. So many things affecting a drivers performance than just driving. He has had his share of bad luck this season