Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Random F1 stats and comparisons.

I need an outlet to express such a conversation. I'd like to on fb, but I'm overwhelmed by the avalanche of idiots on there. So here I am.

First stats and comparison. Lewis Hamilton career til the Mexican GP and the meaningful part of Michael Schumacher's career (1992-98 & 2000-2006).

Lewis Hamilton - 227 races, 71 wins, 81 pp, 41 fl.

Michael Schumacher - 234 races, 89 wins, 67 pp, 71 fl.

Worthwhile notes -

Aside from McLaren getting disqualified in 07, both never drive a car lower than 3rd in the wcc.

Hamilton drove a car that either won or scored the most points in the wcc in 6/12 seasons, 2nd in 4 and 3rd in 2.

Schumacher drove cars that won the wcc in 6/14 seasons, 2nd in another 6, and 3rd in 2.

It's already been noted that McLaren were disqualified in 07, and they finished 2nd in 08. However as opposed to being a true reflection of performance, I think it's more of a reflection of the underperformance of Kovalainen that year. Had Alonso continued at McLaren in 08 for example, I suspect McLaren might've won the wcc, but it'd be unlikely that Hamilton or Alonso would've won the wdc..

Benetton finished 2nd in 94. But I think that was more to do with Benetton effectively being a one car team. Williams benefited from Schumacher being disqualified in Britain and Belgium, Schumacher being banned from 2 races, and picking up 27 points from Mansell and Coulthard.

Another one to come...

2. Likes: Tazio (2nd November 2018)
    Lewis Hamilton's pre hybrid turbo career (2007-2013) and Damon Hill's career minus Brabham.

Lewis Hamilton - 129 races, 22 wins, 32 pp, 13 fl.

Damon Hill - 113 races, 22 wins, 20 pp, 19 fl

Worthwhile notes -

In 7 seasons, Hamilton drove a car that scored the most points in the wcc once, 2nd 4 times, and 3rd twice.

Hill drove a car that won the wcc 3x, 2nd once, 3rd once. 4th once and 8th. As mentioned in the previous post, the wcc standings of 94 wasn't necessarily a reflection of performance.

I'll think of some more later.

4. Likes: Tazio (2nd November 2018)
    Here's another one.

Seasons in their careers so far where drivers have driven top two points scoring cars in the wcc.

Hamilton - 10

Vettel - 9

Alonso and Hakkinen combined - 8!
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 1st December 2018 at 12:26.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    I need an outlet to express such a conversation. I'd like to on fb, but I'm overwhelmed by the avalanche of idiots on there. So here I am.
    'No reason to question your numbers, so, are you going somewhere with this to make it a conversation?
    Maybe it is more suitable on Facebook, or, is it already overflowing?
    "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..." jimclark

It's up to you to make something of it. I was narrowing the parameters of how drivers are judged.

In the case of Hill and Hamilton. The popular belief is that Hill is an honest toiler, and Hamilton is something presence from another world. However, their stats are similar for the prescribed period of time. Hill had the advantage of the Williams FW15C for one year, but that's offset by a few years he drove a cars weaker than what Hamilton has ever driven.

Here's another stat the Hamilton fanboys are going to love.

Races won in cars that finished 3rd in the wcc.

Hamilton - 6/37

Schumacher - 3/51. That includes the cheapo 6 car USGP as well.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I don't really care much about stats in F1, especially drivers' stats. Drivers win races when they have winning cars. Look at the current situation. You have 4 cars that can win races regularly, other 2 that can win a race every now and then and then 14 helpless "losers", that know they don't have a chance in hell, not just for the current season, but for the foreseeable future. Add to that the fact that most teams don't really want two race winners in their cars and you have between 2 and 6 drivers that have any chances to win a race in the entire freakin' world. In the Schumacher days you had races where only 1 driver really had a chance and the others only hoped for an act of God. And they're even fewer when it comes to winning WDCs. Talking about personal records in F1 is the oldest running joke in sport history.