I need an outlet to express such a conversation. I'd like to on fb, but I'm overwhelmed by the avalanche of idiots on there. So here I am.

First stats and comparison. Lewis Hamilton career til the Mexican GP and the meaningful part of Michael Schumacher's career (1992-98 & 2000-2006).

Lewis Hamilton - 227 races, 71 wins, 81 pp, 41 fl.

Michael Schumacher - 234 races, 89 wins, 67 pp, 71 fl.

Worthwhile notes -

Aside from McLaren getting disqualified in 07, both never drive a car lower than 3rd in the wcc.

Hamilton drove a car that either won or scored the most points in the wcc in 6/12 seasons, 2nd in 4 and 3rd in 2.

Schumacher drove cars that won the wcc in 6/14 seasons, 2nd in another 6, and 3rd in 2.

It's already been noted that McLaren were disqualified in 07, and they finished 2nd in 08. However as opposed to being a true reflection of performance, I think it's more of a reflection of the underperformance of Kovalainen that year. Had Alonso continued at McLaren in 08 for example, I suspect McLaren might've won the wcc, but it'd be unlikely that Hamilton or Alonso would've won the wdc..

Benetton finished 2nd in 94. But I think that was more to do with Benetton effectively being a one car team. Williams benefited from Schumacher being disqualified in Britain and Belgium, Schumacher being banned from 2 races, and picking up 27 points from Mansell and Coulthard.

Another one to come...