Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts

Regularity/Challenge/Road Rally

It goes under different names, and have regulations that are a bit different, but regularity is what is common.

How popular is regularity rally in different countries in Europe?

Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    It goes under different names, and have regulations that are a bit different, but regularity is what is common.

Answer from Poland - I'm not ever sure what you ask about. Is it something like Rallye Monte Carlo Historique, where it is not the speed and time that matters? If so, it's not popular at all here.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 1,520 Times in 653 Posts
    This gives a pretty good idea of what it's about Jarek: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regularity_rally

Not something I follow but it certainly exists in the UK and seems relatively well supported by competitors in Wales and Northern Ireland, with entry lists of around 80 crews not too uncommon in Wales in particular. There's a calendar of events here: http://www.britishroadrallying.com/roadnavigational/

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts

Do you mean on closed roads like the Boucles de Spa/Bastogne or do you mean open roads like (I think) Rally Monte Carlo Historique?

Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada View Post
    Do you mean on closed roads like the Boucles de Spa/Bastogne or do you mean open roads like (I think) Rally Monte Carlo Historique?
    Both exist. It's very popular in Belgium. Belgians win all over Europe I codrive in that kind of rallies too, it's a lot of fun!

Liked 1,520 Times in 653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    Road rallying in the UK used to mean the Motoring News championship which was like closed road rallying at night without the closed roads! Needless to say it was clamped down on and now road rallying is as previously posted a mainly navigational type affair. For those of you unfamiliar with what road rallying was like in its heyday then this FB pages should help!

https://en-gb.facebook.com/MotoringN...yChampionship/
    Thanks for opening my eyes to this! I've been reading up on it and it really seems like it was awesome, if rather inconceivable that it was allowed to go on for as long as it did! I'd heard of it but had never really known anything about it until now. It really does seem like it was essentially a flat out British tarmac rally championship, but held predominantly in darkness on open roads. Funny to think now about all the fuss they've made about the recent 'firsts' in mainland GB tarmac rallying... I'd love to get a book called 'Night Moves' about the Championship's history but it seems to be extremely rare and subsequently very expensive.

Funnily enough I was only thinking recently about how good a night rally on some of the Welsh mountain single track roads would be, like between Abergwesyn and Tregaron. Now I've found out it's already been done! Someone really needs to make proper use of the new road legislation and bring back these proper rallies!

Funny to see a young Gwyndaf Evans involved:

7. Likes: Mintexmemory (25th October 2018)
    Liked 99 Times in 55 Posts

In Spain is quite popular but is only allowed to do with historic cars, some regions are clearly more active in this than others, in my region this year we had an event with 145 entries
    Also since 7-8 years it exists the Regularity Sport, that runs the same events as the historic national championship and also exist in many other regional events running behind the sporting normal event, so with closed roads and average speeds from 50 to 80 Km/h and you need helmet, rollbar, etc.

9. Likes: tommeke_B (24th October 2018)
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    It really does seem like it was essentially a flat out British tarmac rally championship, but held predominantly in darkness on open roads
    I’ll tell you all about it sometime when we’re filling time between stage runs. Important to note that the top MN events still had the following common features:
    The route was determined only by map references on a 1:50000 OS map
    Additional information (pre-marked maps / pace notes) were prohibited.
    The route was only given out 2hrs before the start time, meaning the navigator had to draw in the route to get between the control locations and obey the control approach and depart directions.
    The timing of the majority of each event was to the minute apart from Selective sections which were timed to the second. Every event had between 5-15 selectives to ensure the results were seperatable.
    Any attempts at recce were punished by DQ
    Quite often the route took in non tarmac which could include farm tracks, unmetalled moorland roads, private forestry - any thing appearing as a white on the map authorised for vehicle access.
    All cars had to pass MOT standard scruiteneering.
    As the events ran from 11pm(earliest) to 7am (latest) it was rare to come across other road users but early farm activity in summer was a real concern for the late numbers (pea wagons in Yorkshire!!!)
    On one event I covered for MN (1978) the first 20 odd cars in the rally were speed gunned and stopped - so not all Constabularies turned a blind eye.
    ....and (you didn’t hear it from me) there are still some ‘interesting’ events, if you know where to look
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

11. Likes: the sniper (25th October 2018)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    I’ll tell you all about it sometime when we’re filling time between stage runs. Important to note that the top MN events still had the following common features:
    The route was determined only by map references on a 1:50000 OS map
    Additional information (pre-marked maps / pace notes) were prohibited.
    The route was only given out 2hrs before the start time, meaning the navigator had to draw in the route to get between the control locations and obey the control approach and depart directions.
    The timing of the majority of each event was to the minute apart from Selective sections which were timed to the second. Every event had between 5-15 selectives to ensure the results were seperatable.
    Any attempts at recce were punished by DQ
    Quite often the route took in non tarmac which could include farm tracks, unmetalled moorland roads, private forestry - any thing appearing as a white on the map authorised for vehicle access.
    All cars had to pass MOT standard scruiteneering.
    As the events ran from 11pm(earliest) to 7am (latest) it was rare to come across other road users but early farm activity in summer was a real concern for the late numbers (pea wagons in Yorkshire!!!)
    On one event I covered for MN (1978) the first 20 odd cars in the rally were speed gunned and stopped - so not all Constabularies turned a blind eye.
    ....and (you didn’t hear it from me) there are still some ‘interesting’ events, if you know where to look
    Yes, there are still such events in Belgium as well.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    The best range of cars of events I took part in (1979) included Opel Kadettes GT/E(dealer teams) RS1800s, 2.3 Chevettes, Renault 5 turbos and Fiat 131
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!