Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    We need a broader concept: AA Series, the Affirmative Action series, in order to increase the participation of underrepresented minority groups in the top level motorsports. The series will be open only to handicapped people, native americans, women, latinos, jews, and members of LGBT community. Basically anyone who is not a straight white euro man. The series goal will be to identify the top minorities talent and send it into Formula 1 racing. Any members of the mentioned minorities will be welcome, but the ideal candidate should be a one-eyed lesbian Asian Jewish woman.

2. Likes: Jag_Warrior (13th October 2018)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    We need a broader concept: AA Series, the Affirmative Action series, in order to increase the participation of underrepresented minority groups in the top level motorsports. The series will be open only to handicapped people, native americans, women, latinos, jews, and members of LGBT community. Basically anyone who is not a straight white euro man. The series goal will be to identify the top minorities talent and send it into Formula 1 racing. Any members of the mentioned minorities will be welcome, but the ideal candidate should be a one-eyed lesbian Asian Jewish woman.
    I like it. Except that you are discriminating against black people by not including them and also those with mental deficiencies like me.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

4. Likes: Jag_Warrior (13th October 2018)
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I like it. Except that you are discriminating against black people by not including them and also those with mental deficiencies like me.
    Lewis already satisfied the "one and done" rule in the AA Series. I hear that Lance Stroll ticks the box on another one, but I ain't going there (even as a joke). I'm not in the mood for Don Lemon to be protesting outside my house with CNN cameras this weekend.

Again, jokes aside, there are more than enough wealthy women in the west (and the east) to support a female driver up through the ranks... if they chose to spend their money doing that. What about Oprah? What about Sheryl Sandberg? Truth be told, F1 (F2, F3, etc.) has always primarily been a series for wealthy White boys, most of whom had some measure of driving/racing talent. Unlike with stick & ball sports, your family either has to have money or connections to make it much further than karts (and even that's expensive). So yeah, I think it would be a welcome change to have a non-typical kid make it into the sport... hell, look at Hamilton destroying records left and right. Much like with Arthur Ashe in tennis and Tiger Woods in golf, I'm sure that Lewis has drawn in a broader array of fans... and a girl could do that same thing (unless she's a joke). The only question and concern I have is to what lengths Liberty is going to go to to get their desired result? Will the eventual female driver be someone who could have made it through (had she had funding) without this program (Simona di Silvestro), or will she be a Susie Wollf/Carmen Jorda/Danica Patrick type? I don't know. I'll hope for the best. But I am getting a bit weary of the constant whinge of feminism and the victim culture infecting the western world right now.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I'm also of the opinion that putting girls in a "safe space", and then expecting them to be mentally/emotionally prepared when they go up against boys, who have been competing against the best in class since they were 5 or 6 years old, is a big ask.
    You make some valid points which has been raised before in forum discussions when Carlmen first floated the idea of a women only series. I think you would find that the girls going into the W Series would have been racing with the boys since 5 and 6 as well. Most of those boys go on to better things and the girls get left behind. This series give those girls something to aim for. They would know that if they do not make it into F3 there is at least Formula E or the W Series to aim for.

That said, the series will quickly lose credibility if the quality of female drivers they attract are novices with no grass root racing experience such as go carting etc. The W Series should not be a learning ground but a proving ground for women with racing talent. Anything less than a proper highly contentious racing equivalent to F3 or at a minimum F4, with quality fast racing equipment would do a disservice to women racing.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th October 2018 at 23:04.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    One question that comes to my mind is , to what series will it be seen as equal ?
    Would it be seen as the same as F3 , the stepping stone to F2 ?

If so , then perhaps it could work .

I worry , though , that it's rather sexist , to even offer the series .

The battle to this point has been to get sponsorship beyond F2 , if they can even get there , so perhaps this will shine the light on those who deserve it .

And , maybe they deserve it even more , because most little girls start out with Barbie , who did happen to have a fast car , but never raced it .
    The management of the W series have opted to base the W Series on the F3 car [of 2019 l think]. It would suggest that they are looking for the series to be equivalent or close to the F3 series.

I have a daughter, l make it a point not to buy her barbies or baby toys. She has two brothers, so she is abit of a tom boy. If she develops an interest in racing, l would hope she has a chance to get to the premier class of racing if she has the talent.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th October 2018 at 23:46.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    LOL, l bet Pablo Montoya would be very offended by your post. Your grouping of Handicap people with latinos; with drivers on the F1 grid over the last twenty years and beyond would not go down well with Perez or Massa either. Kubica may also find problem with it also.

But l get your point. Why should women get a special treatment?

I suppose seeing Suzie Woolf in race suit over a two years period raised a lot of questions about women drivers in F1. She got so close but did not get a chance to show if she could do a half decent job of it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th October 2018 at 23:48.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    You can't argue with performances. Women have not cut it at the top levels of circuit racing at all. With this in mind, season a FW will eliminate the potential careers of all except the champion, possibly 2nd place. If you couldn't win this series, what chance have you got against the men?

It's appropriate that it'll be part of the dtm program. Because if I were a chick, as much as I may be attracted by the bright lights of F1, I'd aim to succeed in a lower level and try and get a Touring car/GT championship, or a Le Mans win. If a female won them, they'd get the fame and fortune comparable to the top F1 drivers.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I suppose seeing Suzie Woolf in race suit over a two years period raised a lot of questions about women drivers in F1. She got so close but did not get a chance to show if she could do a half decent job of it.
    Toto Wolff had been a Williams shareholder and on the board of directors since 2009. Susie married Toto in 2011. She was named as a Williams development driver in 2012. Interesting timing, right? For a person who had just as many super license points as I do (both of us still sitting on 0), I never understood why Susie got so upset that Williams didn't enter her in a race. Not only did Susie not have any super license points, she'd never won a race (outside of karts) in her life. To the best of my knowledge, Williams couldn't have, even if they wanted to, enter her into a race. I mean, that's just how F1 is set up. In order to race, your resume has to show that you are qualified. When Honda and Toyota were spending mega bucks in F1 and CART years ago, they often did mandate the placement of Japanese drivers in teams. True, quite a few of them were jokes. But at least they had won races, if not championships, in their home country.

IMO, little girls should emulate women like Angelle Sampey or Shirley Muldowney... not the likes of Susie Wolff, Danica Patrick, Carmen Jorda or Lynn St. James. Emulate winners, champions, victors. Shoot for being a victor, not a victim, who wants special treatment.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

11. Likes: journeyman racer (15th October 2018),schmenke (22nd October 2018)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I think Susie's record in DTM proves beyond doubt that she's a no hoper. You don't need to see her in F1 to know that.

You know what I think would gain bigger publicity than a W series using F3 cars? An actual F1 race for women. Even just 1 would get the attention that'd dwarf the FW series would get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Toto Wolff had been a Williams shareholder and on the board of directors since 2009. Susie married Toto in 2011. She was named as a Williams development driver in 2012. Interesting timing, right? For a person who had just as many super license points as I do (both of us still sitting on 0), I never understood why Susie got so upset that Williams didn't enter her in a race. Not only did Susie not have any super license points, she'd never won a race (outside of karts) in her life. To the best of my knowledge, Williams couldn't have, even if they wanted to, enter her into a race. I mean, that's just how F1 is set up. In order to race, your resume has to show that you are qualified. When Honda and Toyota were spending mega bucks in F1 and CART years ago, they often did mandate the placement of Japanese drivers in teams. True, quite a few of them were jokes. But at least they had won races, if not championships, in their home country.

IMO, little girls should emulate women like Angelle Sampey or Shirley Muldowney... not the likes of Susie Wolff, Danica Patrick, Carmen Jorda or Lynn St. James. Emulate winners, champions, victors. Shoot for being a victor, not a victim, who wants special treatment.
    Lets not bring up the Susie Woolf discussion again. My point was she made the women in F1 situation visible, which l think is a very good thing.
    William Shakespeare