Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24
  1. #21
    Senior Member Jag_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,175
    Like
    67
    Liked 110 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Lets not bring up the Susie Woolf discussion again. My point was she made the women in F1 situation visible, which l think is a very good thing.
    I grant you that. But we both realize that she couldn't (and shouldn't) have sat in an F1 race seat, right? You're familiar with the great American classic, Citizen Kane? Susie was to Toto Wolff as Susan Alexander was to Charles Kane.

    If a qualified female driver comes out of this series, one who can compete at the F1 level without special allowances, then that's great. I don't have an issue with that. In fact, I'd be happy to see an F1 paddock that has broader diversity than the one we have now. I'd be willing to bet that there's another talented kid (male or female, Black, White or Asian, Jew or Gentile, etc.) from Stevenage (or the Bronx or where ever) who has more talent in their little finger than Lance Stroll does in his whole body. Simply finding the female version of Lance is not what I want to see. More so than this all girls series being "the answer", I have greater hope that the various e-sports endeavors will help identify a promising racer of whatever gender, race or ethnicity... just because the initial barriers to entry in e-sports are so much less.
    Last edited by Jag_Warrior; 17th October 2018 at 23:37.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,670
    Like
    3
    Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I grant you that. But we both realize that she couldn't (and shouldn't) have sat in an F1 race seat, right? You're familiar with the great American classic, Citizen Kane? Susie was to Toto Wolff as Susan Alexander was to Charles Kane.

    If a qualified female driver comes out of this series, one who can compete at the F1 level without special allowances, then that's great. I don't have an issue with that. In fact, I'd be happy to see an F1 paddock that has broader diversity than the one we have now. I'd be willing to bet that there's another talented kid (male or female, Black, White or Asian, Jew or Gentile, etc.) from Stevenage (or the Bronx or where ever) who has more talent in their little finger than Lance Stroll does in his whole body. Simply finding the female version of Lance is not what I want to see. More so than this all girls series being "the answer", I have greater hope that the various e-sports endeavors will help identify a promising racer of whatever gender, race or ethnicity... just because the initial barriers to entry in e-sports are so much less.
    My biggest issue with the proposed series is that it will IMO demean women racers. There are not that many at the upper levels of racing as it stands now. Not all would wish to participate just as not all male drivers dream of being in F1. That leaves the question of how do you fill the field? And with what (in terms of deserving drivers)? Now you've just watered down the talent level and, to a certain degree, made a joke of the seriousness of said series.

    Lets compare to other pro sports. Tennis - the female side of the sport has been around for a long time and has developed it's own following. That happened over decades. Basketball - there has been a training ground in college sports, again for decades, so that when the WNBA was founded there were plenty of women who were used to and trained to compete at a very high level already existing to fill rosters. AND to make a compelling product. That doesn't exist in racing. The time it will take to mature will be very long (think of 5 year old girls competing in Karts as the boys do) to get enough of them developed to a competitive level as 16+ year olds. Add in the several LARGE sacks of money necessary to fund this thing for ten to fifteen years and its a non starter.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

  3. Likes: Tazio (18th October 2018)
  4. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,202
    Like
    0
    Liked 255 Times in 207 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    My biggest issue with the proposed series is that it will IMO demean women racers. There are not that many at the upper levels of racing as it stands now. Not all would wish to participate just as not all male drivers dream of being in F1. That leaves the question of how do you fill the field? And with what (in terms of deserving drivers)? Now you've just watered down the talent level and, to a certain degree, made a joke of the seriousness of said series.

    Lets compare to other pro sports. Tennis - the female side of the sport has been around for a long time and has developed it's own following. That happened over decades. Basketball - there has been a training ground in college sports, again for decades, so that when the WNBA was founded there were plenty of women who were used to and trained to compete at a very high level already existing to fill rosters. AND to make a compelling product. That doesn't exist in racing. The time it will take to mature will be very long (think of 5 year old girls competing in Karts as the boys do) to get enough of them developed to a competitive level as 16+ year olds. Add in the several LARGE sacks of money necessary to fund this thing for ten to fifteen years and its a non starter.
    I don't think the W series would struggle to fill the seats. There are more than twenty professional female racers competing in various series around the world. Plus, they have made entry to the first season free entry subject to applicants meeting a certain criteria. I don't think the W series would want to field low quality drivers. They would want to find twenty of the best female racers out there who are at least good enough to F3 or F4 calibre.

    It is a new series. The organizers are green to operating racing at this level and the driver would be trying out something new to them in the first few seasons. So we would need to be patient for the series to develop at its pace. More like the patience we gave the E-Series. l think this series would surprise many when it gets going.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,670
    Like
    3
    Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I don't think the W series would struggle to fill the seats. There are more than twenty professional female racers competing in various series around the world. Plus, they have made entry to the first season free entry subject to applicants meeting a certain criteria. I don't think the W series would want to field low quality drivers. They would want to find twenty of the best female racers out there who are at least good enough to F3 or F4 calibre.

    It is a new series. The organizers are green to operating racing at this level and the driver would be trying out something new to them in the first few seasons. So we would need to be patient for the series to develop at its pace. More like the patience we gave the E-Series. l think this series would surprise many when it gets going.
    Comparing to the E series is not a great choice. That series was meant to showcase the alternate power systems and not the drivers. Cars were put together in about a year, which is a pretty quick design to market time frame. Which brings up another thought, will car racing as we know it even exist 10+ years from now? Many mfgs. are already saying that they won't be making gasoline (or diesel) motors 5 years from now. Everything is going low horsepower and high energy efficiency. That's a good thing for the planet, not so much for auto racing.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •