Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    M-Sport WRC Champions Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 4,622 Times in 2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    Yes, there are actually only 3 rallies still left in the calendar, that are held in western Europe - Portugal, Spain and Italy.
    And two of those are out on their islands (Azores & Canaries). Plus there's another island rally in Cyprus.

Seems the Eastern countries (and those islands) are the ones who want to use ERC & rallying as a new way of promotion.
    The Incurable Enthusiast

Liked 423 Times in 172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    It seems Eastern Europe is the best and biggest growth area and coming in to replace many of the traditional countries who dont have the mainstream interest or funding any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Seems the Eastern countries (and those islands) are the ones who want to use ERC & rallying as a new way of promotion.
    I think your second post is more accurate. The ERC goes primarily where there's money for the promoter, they're chasing that primarily over popularity. Look at Ypres. Just because the regional government there and/or sponsors don't wish to buy into the ERC/Eurosport as a promotional platform doesn't mean that rallying isn't popular in Belgium.

3. Likes: Sal the 2nd (12th November 2018)
    Liked 1,969 Times in 917 Posts
    It is not so easy. There is more reasons why it is going like this. One of the reasons is that FIA doesnt want to have WRC and ERC in same countries. They are making "excuses" only in case of island rallies (in WRC or ERC). With including the rally into ERC, it is not only about the money. Ypres is also little bit different story, it is not only about money, it is more deep...

5. Likes: the sniper (12th November 2018)
    Liked 274 Times in 151 Posts
    Ypres is a bit like Monte, they think they are bigger than the championship. Maybe if a few egos were reeled back in we may see the Belgian event back in the ERC..

7. Likes: Rally Power (12th November 2018),Sub_Skoda (12th November 2018),WRC1 (12th November 2018)
    Of course rallying is still popular in much of W.Europe. They have WRC events and mostly good national series so often dont need/want ERC.

I was thinking more about the likes of Greece and Ireland where funding and/or logistics are making them stop involvement.

Fron Autosport:
    MSA chairman David Richards was asked if he thought the Circuit of Ireland could secure a world championship slot, Willis said: "The Circuit hasn't run for the last two years and it's not going to happen next year, but we're targeting 2020 to bring the event back.

"I've never denied that my ultimate ambition would be to get the Circuit to the highest level of world rallying - that would be an incredible achievement for the team and it's a level at which I think our event would sit comfortably.

"But we're talking to the European Rally Championship, we're talking to lots of people right now. Collectively we're working towards getting the Circuit of Ireland back on the calendar."

10. Likes: Jewy46 (13th November 2018),the sniper (12th November 2018),tommeke_B (12th November 2018)
    Liked 362 Times in 117 Posts
    Rally Liepāja will be held in little bit different format in 2019. Base city still remains Liepāja when route will be more wider. First day will start around Talsi - another 'gold classic' roads in Latvian rally.
    So no "Rally Talsi" this year as a national championship leg.

Liked 2,033 Times in 635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    Ypres is a bit like Monte, they think they are bigger than the championship. Maybe if a few egos were reeled back in we may see the Belgian event back in the ERC..
    I don't think anyone from Ypres organizers thinks they're bigger than the championship... According to what I've heard, problem with Ypres is that they paid (a lot) to Eurosport to be in the ERC. But they didn't have the benefits, most drivers didn't visit Ypres because of the specific roads and the tough competition they would face. In the IRC years it probably also costed a lot but the return was much larger, with some (semi-)works teams and a lot of coverage on Eurosport. Now what do you get on Eurosport, and who is still watching it? So Ypres has chosen for the British championship, which probably costs far less, and gives a better return in the number of drivers that visit the rally. They were also in TER, but that championship has turned out to be a joke.

13. Likes: WUff1 (13th November 2018)
    Liked 274 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    I don't think anyone from Ypres organizers thinks they're bigger than the championship... According to what I've heard, problem with Ypres is that they paid (a lot) to Eurosport to be in the ERC. But they didn't have the benefits, most drivers didn't visit Ypres because of the specific roads and the tough competition they would face. In the IRC years it probably also costed a lot but the return was much larger, with some (semi-)works teams and a lot of coverage on Eurosport. Now what do you get on Eurosport, and who is still watching it? So Ypres has chosen for the British championship, which probably costs far less, and gives a better return in the number of drivers that visit the rally. They were also in TER, but that championship has turned out to be a joke.
    Its weird you should say that most drivers didn't attend in recent years as Ypres was always "the" rally that everyone wanted to do in the glory days of the ERC when even the Italians would turn up in force. I know it was a top co-efficient rally but maybe it was something to do with start money as guess when tobacco sponsorship was around there were plenty of incentives for top crews to attend. I think the organisers desire to see "factory" teams on the event isnt going to happen any time soon as in the IRC days, WRC2 is too much of a draw. The only way it is going to happen is if the FIA lean on the likes of Skoda and VW to create junior teams like Peugeot did however that risks driving some of the privateers away. Regards the BRC maybe more crews attend but as a spectacle its less as the Brit crews have hardly taken the fight to the locals in the way that Pond and McRae did in the past.

My original post was based on what I'd read a while back so will see if I can search the article out. I'd love to see Ypres back in the ERC but cant see it happening anytime soon even if Neuville wins the WRC drivers title..
    Last edited by Sal the 2nd; 13th November 2018 at 12:40.