Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gran Canaria
    Posts
    1,422
    Like
    256
    Liked 162 Times in 119 Posts
    Personally I don't like a race win being decided by team orders, but this was a sensible decision from Merc. The team always comes first and securing the WDC is much more important than "fairness".

    Funnily enough, before the race I was going to say that I would be very surprised if Merc handed out team orders to Bottas, but that I expected Hamilton to chase him and possibly overtake him on the track. Thankfully my unstable Internet connection saved me some embarrassment at the time.

  2. Likes: Duncan (5th October 2018),truefan72 (2nd October 2018)
  3. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,419
    Like
    71
    Liked 106 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Personally, I think there is nothing as pathetic as gifting your team-mate a victory in a race where he isn't the fastest in exchange for a win given up in a race where he was.
    Just ask Barrichello how highly he rates his "win" in Indianapolis 2002 or Gerhard Berger about Suzuka 1991.

    Yes, it is very unsporting and I can imagine how it must grate on Botas... but wouldnt repaying the unearned win the lesser of the two evils?
    It wouldnt be a great feeling to win in that manner but I'd still accept it if I was Valteri.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

  4. #23
    Senior Member truefan72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,181
    Like
    669
    Liked 201 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Yeah me as well. Of the two drivers Ocon deserves a top drive more. Perez had his chance at McLaren and he blew it. Ocon deserves his F1 seat.

    Can’t understand those complaining about Mercedes swap in Russia. It was a no brainer and Mercedes would have been thick stupid not to have Hamilton finish ahead of Bottas.
    yup. The same media that is all up in arms about the fact that mercedes did the switch at Sochi and "robbed Bottas of a win" are the same ones that,on 2 different occasions, complained about Ferrari not being quick enough to switch the drivers, and on another occasion that Ferrari did not favor Vettel properly. Especially Sky Sports, who seem to be suffering some kind of short term memory loss with their commentary.

    BTW, i'm pretty sure Hamilton would have challenged Bottas in the latter stages until the team would have told them to hold station...which would then incur more rancor and turmoil from the media folks who would ask, why they didn't switch the drivers, and why mercedes were telling the guy leading the championship to hold station behind his teammate and get into a potential tussle with his championship rival. SMH
    Last edited by truefan72; 2nd October 2018 at 14:44.
    you can't argue with results

  5. Likes: Duncan (5th October 2018)
  6. #24
    Senior Member N. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodridge, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    3,823
    Like
    158
    Liked 352 Times in 232 Posts
    #BanTeams

    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

  7. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,150
    Like
    244
    Liked 176 Times in 132 Posts
    Did anyone catch the exchange with Hamilton and Putin? I couldn't quite make it out. I think Hamilton was asked not to spray champagne on Putin again, and he replied something to the effect that it wasn't him last time.

  8. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,661
    Like
    3
    Liked 102 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Did anyone catch the exchange with Hamilton and Putin? I couldn't quite make it out. I think Hamilton was asked not to spray champagne on Putin again, and he replied something to the effect that it wasn't him last time.
    i couldn't help but notice that the Russian dignitaries got off the stage as quickly as possible before the champagne was deployed.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

  9. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,465
    Like
    58
    Liked 134 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Did anyone catch the exchange with Hamilton and Putin? I couldn't quite make it out. I think Hamilton was asked not to spray champagne on Putin again, and he replied something to the effect that it wasn't him last time.
    Putin threatened: "If you spray champagne on me, we will spray Novichok on you".

  10. #28
    Senior Member journeyman racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    863
    Like
    218
    Liked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Can’t understand those complaining about Mercedes swap in Russia. It was a no brainer and Mercedes would have been thick stupid not to have Hamilton finish ahead of Bottas.
    MB wouldn't have been stupid if they just let it go for Bottas to win.

    It would've been good PR for MB had Bottas won because Hamilton isn't really under serious pressure from Vettel, the situation is the same in the wcc, everyone would've recognised it was an accurate reflection of performance for the weekend.

    In a scenario where they could've deployed team orders, to not do so would make them look good in front of fans wanting to see a meaningful race. Because Hamilton isn't under serious pressure from Vettel, it also undermines his season because people can speculate where else Hamilton is being favoured.


    Had Bottas won. Because it's been infrequent that he's had the better of Hamilton, it' would've validated Hamilton's season more so than what has happened. Even if Hamilton ends up giving Bottas two freebie race wins at the end of the year, it would actually still invalidate their performances, because it's not a reflection of performance. It would've affirmed the notion that MB don't do team orders (unless it's reasonable to do so), which is what the audience likes to see.

  11. Likes: gm99 (6th October 2018)
  12. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,148
    Like
    0
    Liked 231 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    MB wouldn't have been stupid if they just let it go for Bottas to win.

    It would've been good PR for MB had Bottas won because Hamilton isn't really under serious pressure from Vettel, the situation is the same in the wcc, everyone would've recognised it was an accurate reflection of performance for the weekend.

    In a scenario where they could've deployed team orders, to not do so would make them look good in front of fans wanting to see a meaningful race. Because Hamilton isn't under serious pressure from Vettel, it also undermines his season because people can speculate where else Hamilton is being favoured.


    Had Bottas won. Because it's been infrequent that he's had the better of Hamilton, it' would've validated Hamilton's season more so than what has happened. Even if Hamilton ends up giving Bottas two freebie race wins at the end of the year, it would actually still invalidate their performances, because it's not a reflection of performance. It would've affirmed the notion that MB don't do team orders (unless it's reasonable to do so), which is what the audience likes to see.
    At the time it would have been difficult to tell how things might have turned out. Hamilton in front of Vettel was like a carrot for Ferrari and offered possibilities for overtaking Hamilton and putting Vettel in position to fight for the win. This would have been the only sensible perspective of the Mercedes pitwall during the race.

    Taking the decision to remove any possibility of Ferrari and Vettel getting by Hamilton was the smartest call that Mercedes pitwall could have done. We have always criticized the Mercedes strategy in the past for being slow and lethargic in making strategic calls during races. On this occasion, they were super smart and took what was without doubt the correct decision to eliminate all possible risks of losing ground to Ferrari in the drivers championship fight.

    I suppose some would say they should have taken the risk for the sake of PR. But l think it would have been stupid to hang it out there to see how things would work out. If it had gone wrong, it would have upset the dynamics of the Mercedes team as they would start to doubt themselves. Why risk it when you can remove the risk. It also shows that Mercedes are not underestimating Ferrari at all which is a clear indication of how awesome that Ferrari car is this season. Shame they did not operate at the optimum to take full advantage of that great car.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 6th October 2018 at 21:02.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •