Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 156 Times in 62 Posts

Question Return of Rough Rallies - Are the Cars Ready?

The return of Turkey to the calendar marks the return of rough endurance-style rallies like Cyprus and Acropolis in the old days. In 2020, we're likely going to get the Safari back. We've seen in this edition of Turkey that many cars just break down, even without having really hit anything. They just seem to fall apart.

Have the modern WRC cars become too fragile from years of running a championship without rough rallies? Will manufacturers have to update their cars to survive in future seasons, when we might have two or maybe even three of these rougher rallies?
    Last edited by MentalParadox; 16th September 2018 at 19:35.

Liked 252 Times in 158 Posts
    Have they not talked about decreasing lenght of stages or even decreasing lenght of rally itself? Here they break most on the marathon ones, right.

3. Likes: MentalParadox (16th September 2018)
    Liked 156 Times in 62 Posts
    Not sure I like the sound of that. But I suppose it's better than their plans for the Safari. I heard they want to replace all the awesome savanna 'roads' with clean, manicured roads on private property. Rough gravel sections, gone. Natural watersplashes, gone. That's not the Safari I wanted. I guess I prefer shorter rallies if it means preserving the spirit of the rallies.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
    The return of Turkey to the calendar marks the return of rough endurance-style rallies like Cyprus and Acropolis in the old days. In 2020, we're likely going to get the Safari back. We've seen in this edition of Turkey that many cars just break down, even without having really hit anything. They just seem to fall apart.

Have the modern WRC cars become too fragile from years of running a championship without rough rallies? Will manufacturers have to update their cars to survive in future seasons, when we might have two or maybe even three of these rougher rallies?
    Why everyone speaks only about WRC cars when there is only a small minority of them in the entry lists (roughly between 1/10 and 1/3 of all cars)? It's the WRC cars and the works teams which can cope with such stages the best. For others it's much harder.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

6. Likes: Jarek Z (17th September 2018),René (17th September 2018),tommeke_B (17th September 2018)
    Liked 1,523 Times in 655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Why everyone speaks only about WRC cars when there is only a small minority of them in the entry lists (roughly between 1/10 and 1/3 of all cars)? It's the WRC cars and the works teams which can cope with such stages the best. For others it's much harder.
    I would imagine the vast majority of non WRC car entries on a reborn Safari rally would come from local guys who are used to those conditions in the Kenyan championship. Given that WRC2 doesn't require competitors to do anywhere near every round, and I doubt the Safari will be in the JWRC, nobody will be forced to take part if they don't want to.

As MentalParadox says though, if the candidate event is representative of the final event, I don't think the roads will be as rough as we saw in Turkey. The problem will be the much higher speeds involved.

Having two rougher rallies kind of works nicely with the twinning of events for chassis. Might make a more 'endurance' spec car make sense.

8. Likes: steve.mandzij (17th September 2018)
    Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    I would imagine the vast majority of non WRC car entries on a reborn Safari rally would come from local guys who are used to those conditions in the Kenyan championship. Given that WRC2 doesn't require competitors to do anywhere near every round, and I doubt the Safari will be in the JWRC, nobody will be forced to take part if they don't want to.

As MentalParadox says though, if the candidate event is representative of the final event, I don't think the roads will be as rough as we saw in Turkey. The problem will be the much higher speeds involved.

Having two rougher rallies kind of works nicely with the twinning of events for chassis. Might make a more 'endurance' spec car make sense.
    If endurance type cars make a return I'll be fully supportive of the rougher events

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    How many SUVs have an FIA homologation? Could T2 production suvs be allowed to enter wrc 'rough' events?

11. Likes: steve.mandzij (17th September 2018)
    Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Yeah, exactly! Why does everyone speak about WRC cars only? For whom is this new rough rally going to be? For those 12 WRC cars from works teams?!
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi View Post
    How many SUVs have an FIA homologation? Could T2 production suvs be allowed to enter wrc 'rough' events?
    A completely new car for 2 events? SUVs are anyway more urban than some roadcars, so no big difference there.

14. Likes: pantealex (17th September 2018)
    Liked 64 Times in 36 Posts
    This is WRC! It's good to see an event like Turkey. I remember my childhood with Safari, Cyprus, Greece...
    Who won Turkey'18? The most fragile cars! Like Latvala said you have to be clever and patient in a rally like this one. And Tänak said "I knew that it won't be the fastest driver who win this rally".
    Ogier, Neuville, to maximum attack.
    Pontus Tidemand, also.
    Check Henning's race, with an R5. Or Begkvist's one. No trouble. A clean race. No maximum push.

The question is :"Are drivers ready?" not "Are the cars ready?"

16. Likes: AndyRAC (17th September 2018),er88 (18th September 2018),janvanvurpa (18th September 2018),Myrvold (17th September 2018),pantealex (17th September 2018),steve.mandzij (17th September 2018),Tauri_J (17th September 2018),the sniper (17th September 2018),WUff1 (17th September 2018)