Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Why everyone speaks only about WRC cars when there is only a small minority of them in the entry lists (roughly between 1/10 and 1/3 of all cars)? It's the WRC cars and the works teams which can cope with such stages the best. For others it's much harder.
    This.

Rally's like these most of all show the difference between the drivers with a small budget who have to take care for their car, and drivers who can afford to mash and rebuild them every service and rally.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
    Not sure I like the sound of that. But I suppose it's better than their plans for the Safari. I heard they want to replace all the awesome savanna 'roads' with clean, manicured roads on private property. Rough gravel sections, gone. Natural watersplashes, gone. That's not the Safari I wanted.
    Go see yourself from the 2018 event https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWa0dhVqhw

It's still rough all right

Liked 258 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Go see yourself from the 2018 event https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWa0dhVqhw

It's still rough all right
    Looks like average speed 160+ if dryish

4. Likes: AnttiL (17th September 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverk View Post
    Looks like average speed 160+ if dryish
    True, I was also concerned over the fast-looking roads on https://itgetsfasternow.wordpress.co...f-the-safari/t earlier this year. There's straights over a kilometre long and they were doing some stages already 120 km/h on the private Mitsubishi Evo's.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Go and watch The Greatest Years of Rallying......

Too many people think 2 and a bit days of 'flat out' action is rallying. It's not. The WRC is meant to be the supreme test of man & machine over a variety of surfaces throughout the year from dawn to dusk. Somewhere in the last 15+ years it's been lost, and what we have, whilst still exciting, is WRC-Lite.
    I'd actually like to see Turkey run an extra day. At the moment, they're running an Endurance-style event over a sprint distance. Some events need to be more than the normal 2 and a bit day WRC event. However, I wouldn't make the rough events count for JWRC,
    I want the Safari back - but not if it's going to be just another event. It has to be a full 3-4 day event. It would be like running Le Mans over 6 Hours on the Bugatti circuit. If the Promoters can't allow some events 'freedom' to suit their event, then they're not doing their job properly.

I know most people will disagree, but I couldn't care less; I've watched enough sport/ motorsport over the years to know what's going on - and the WRC still isn't anywhere near hitting it's potential.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

7. Likes: er88 (18th September 2018),Essaj (17th September 2018),gheeD (17th September 2018),pantealex (17th September 2018),Tauri_J (17th September 2018),the sniper (17th September 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    But what is the point, when there`s no car left in the end? And all the time talking about reducing costs, then make teams spend more money for one or two events.
    Then we have R5-s. Same story, except they are built for profit and mostly sold to privateers in national championships also, where there is no need for such a tough car. It is too expensive and many can`t afford it now, so developing it to these kind of events would probably mean that a customer needing it for smooth gravel and tarmac events would pay for that development, resulting in another dead circle.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 17th September 2018 at 14:47.

9. Likes: Jarek Z (17th September 2018),Mirek (17th September 2018),Rallyper (17th September 2018)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    I know most people will disagree, but I couldn't care less; I've watched enough sport/ motorsport over the years to know what's going on
    that is the main problem with you and your kind... you have watched enough but never developed the brain to understand what you are watching... you are stuck in the 70s and 80s and the only reason you want these ridiculous events and formats back is to satisfy your autism...

The calendar has enough rough rallies in sardignia and portugal... turkey was not a rough event, turkey was an event where you traveled through stones and hoped that your car would hit the stones at a proper angle so it would not puncture or break...

the event was won by a person who after the first 3 stages was saying this in not our rally...

those events do not belong in the WRC... they belong in the museums and the history books along with their autistic supporters...

The only event that has a place in the WRC is the safari only in its pure format which is different and cars can have special regulations to tackle it...

11. Likes: Jarek Z (17th September 2018),Rallyper (17th September 2018)
    Liked 3,290 Times in 1,732 Posts
    In my opinion this is not normal:

http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

13. Likes: Mirek (20th September 2018),Rallyper (17th September 2018),Timmy (18th September 2018)
    Liked 2,834 Times in 1,608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post

+10
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Skoda View Post
    The question is :"Are drivers ready?" not "Are the cars ready?"
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    But what is the point, when there`s no car left in the end?
    Why are you speaking hypothetically when we've just seen that wasn't the case? To me the results in Turkey showed that there was a pace at which that rally could be driven to ensure a good chance of finishing and securing a good result. Of course there is still a risk of bad luck, but that is the case on any rally and those who seemed to mitigate against taking risks made it to the end. People are talking like Turkey was a lottery, but look at the result... Three of the top four competitors for the JWRC were the top three going into the final day, Ken Torn seemingly went off due to a mistake, with the championship leader and most experienced participant winning the class and the Championship. Was that luck? RC2, won by Henning, the most experienced R5 competitor, focused on driving to the conditions and won the category by a country mile with few dramas. Was that luck? The overall classification, won by the guy who many of us believe is a Champion in waiting, followed by JML, the most experienced guy in RC1, followed by Paddon, who said he was driving to get to the finish from the start. Okay, the Toyota wouldn't have seemingly had the pace to go flat out at the pace of Ogier and Neuville, but they were pushing hard and look where it got them...

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    And all the time talking about reducing costs, then make teams spend more money for one or two events.
    Then we have R5-s. Same story, except they are built for profit and mostly sold to privateers in national championships also, where there is no need for such a tough car. It is too expensive and many can`t afford it now, so developing it to these kind of events would probably mean that a customer needing it for smooth gravel and tarmac events would pay for that development, resulting in another dead circle.
    The vast majority of the non-works/semi-works R5s entrants in RC2 in Turkey were made up of entrants from Turkey, Cyprus and Greece (with the addition of Henning who beat the works cars with virtually no problems in a private Skoda). I would imagine these kind of rough conditions are the norm for those guys, they know what they're getting into. If we're talking Safari, it'd be the same, most non-works entrants would be from local guys used to those conditions doing the Kenyan and African Championships. Nobody is forcing anyone with an R5 to enter Rally Turkey or a future Safari, so why are you concerned? It's not like it's necessary for WRC2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post

Yet, he won his classification and the Championship with few issues!!!

Come on guys, next you'll be setting up a 'save the rally car' foundation and a sanctuary for retired cars!
    Last edited by the sniper; 17th September 2018 at 18:25.

16. Likes: dimviii (17th September 2018),janvanvurpa (18th September 2018),pantealex (17th September 2018),sonnybobiche (17th September 2018),steve.mandzij (17th September 2018),Sub_Skoda (17th September 2018),TWRC (18th September 2018)