Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales Rally GB

Liked 12,162 Times in 5,216 Posts
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    After watching this:

https://youtu.be/NTRVY5lNwog?t=158 (should start at 2:40)

I remembered the talks about Toyota setup and tried to find same places for more cars (which somehow wasn't easy). On the places I saw the Toyota's seem to nosedive a bit more under braking than others, not much but you can see the difference, something like 5-10cms.

Here it's easiest to see:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ziI...ature=youtu.be
    0:20 Latvala with 3 loud touches, specially the first one is all the way to the sumpguard
    6:20 Suninen never touches
    6:50 Mikkelsen 1 touch

Here the differences are much smaller, but still looks like there is some:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGjx...ature=youtu.be
    0:15 Mikkelsen
    2:07 Suninen
    3:30 Toyota (cant see number)
    4:40 Lappi (I think)

I also remember seeing photos from where Toyota is scraping with splitter under braking after a straight. Sure different drivers don't brake exactly the same, but it's not like other cars are braking the radiators/front suspension under braking either. (Toyota now had related issues in GB, Portugal (Tanak and Latvala) and Argentina (Latvala))

Could be rideheight by itself, setup or suspension design or a combination... or nothing, but then again the broken cars are real.

3. Likes: NickRally (12th October 2018),pantealex (9th October 2018),Rally Hokkaido (9th October 2018),Rallyper (9th October 2018)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Softer suspension=more grip in low grip situations.
    Maybe toyota must redisign their front suspension geometry also to prevent so much nosedive.
    Last edited by raig0; 9th October 2018 at 04:51. Reason: spell check

5. Likes: pantealex (9th October 2018)
    Liked 12,162 Times in 5,216 Posts
    Last edited by EstWRC; 9th October 2018 at 07:02.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    After watching this:

https://youtu.be/NTRVY5lNwog?t=158 (should start at 2:40)
    Look at 2:45... Why people are so willing to die? I thought we all wanted to avoid that...

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Was a great event, really enjoyed the stages and the route this year. We managed to do Clocaenog 1, Slate Mountain and Brenig 2 on the Friday. Myherin 1, Dyfnant and Dyfi 2 on the Saturday, and both runs through the orme on the Saturday.

Only disappointment was the lack of top line WRC machinery. R5 cars have nothing on the old s2000s in terms of spectacle imo, so the lack of any decent privateers in this new generation of WRC cars is felt. Hopefully Citroen and Msport can run 3 cars next year.

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Neuvilles off from different angle
    https://youtu.be/_57kpTIGM5M

from French forum Neuvilles interview
    ----------------------------------------------------

Thierry, let's go back for a moment on this small exit which cost you about fifty seconds on Saturday morning. What really happened?

"I braked before a summit but I realized that it was too early so I released the pedal but when I came back it was too late, I was a few km / h too fast for negotiating the right turn, I was not far in the ditch, but I was sitting, it took six or seven people to help me out, and that error ultimately cost me up to two because I do not think I would have been able to do better than third in the regular, so it cost me between two and five points we will say.

Why was the Hyundai slightly behind the competition?

"Mostly because we did our dry weather pre-tests while the rally had a lot of mud and rain, Toyota tested two days after Turkey in hateful conditions and Elfyn Evans too. It's just a matter of tweaking. "

This 5th place final, you have been looking for the regular. You have not had the help of your teammates, they have not been asked to lift their feet in the last specials?

"No, not at all because it was as important that they beat Mads Ostberg in the Huyndai constructors championship, and at the last TRC, Andreas just waited to see if he should be late in the event he would be ironed in front of me, but that was not the case. "

You miss 4th place for less than five seconds. No regrets? It seems that you did not really attack Saturday at the end of the day, that you ensure your place to be first on the road in the Power Stage?

"No, that was not the case, I had just a bad position on the road on Saturday, and Andreas and Hayden, who were leaving in front, had better times than me, and I could not go faster."

You said that now you are hoping to win in Spain and Australia. A bit optimistic in opening the road to the land in Catalonia, no?

"It would surprise me that I said that ..." (mega lol !!)

It's written in the Hyundai press release ...

"Yes, it would obviously win the last two, but the Toyota was already very fast last year and they will still be very hard to beat in Catalonia."

Finally, you must have been relieved to hear that Ott had given up ...

"It's all part of the rally, and in the last three events, each of the title contenders was forced to retire when he was leading or about to win the race. is not really a mechanical break like me He broke his radiator by tapping too hard in a hole ... I would say we are therefore equal.

Sébastien Ogier and Ott Tanak exchanged their positions behind you. In the current situation, it may be better, right?

"Yes, we have seen this weekend that the Toyota is currently very fast and on all terrains, so I prefer in a sense to have the Ford of Ogier just behind me that the Yaris because for me Ott will be again favorite in Spain."

Even if mathematically can be crowned in Spain at the end of the month, there is a good chance that the title will be played in Australia. You remain confident?

"Of course, morale is good, I'm still leading with a seven-point lead, I've got my fate in hand, I won this rally last year and I'm sure my Hyundai will perform well. We did not miss much in England, it's just small details that make the difference. "
    Did you say that you'd rather approach Australia five points behind than five points ahead, which means you're second on the road rather than having to open?

"Today, I do not think about that, my goal is to increase my lead over Ogier in Spain, if I can count a dozen points in advance, (note: he could then be content with a 3rd place in case of success of his rival), I want to open there. "

When we see the level of the Toyota today and that we know that Ogier goes to Citroën, you are not worried about the future?

"No, Michel Nandan (sports and technical director of Hyundai Motorsport) and the whole team are well aware that the task is going to be tough, we have to move forward and it is developing quite a lot for now. we are going to improve in the future. "

Last edited by dimviii; 9th October 2018 at 16:52.

Liked 128 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Was a great event, really enjoyed the stages and the route this year. We managed to do Clocaenog 1, Slate Mountain and Brenig 2 on the Friday. Myherin 1, Dyfnant and Dyfi 2 on the Saturday, and both runs through the orme on the Saturday.

Only disappointment was the lack of top line WRC machinery. R5 cars have nothing on the old s2000s in terms of spectacle imo, so the lack of any decent privateers in this new generation of WRC cars is felt. Hopefully Citroen and Msport can run 3 cars next year.
    Yea, it's basically the WRC's, then the Skodas and then it gets kinda boring... :-/

I found it really hard to change between stages at Rally GB and was quite annoyed on Friday that every other access road to the stage is closed.
    But as soon as I adapted to that on Saturday it was actually quite nice. Everything is pretty well organized. If they let you drive into the car park you know that there is going to be a spot to park your car somewhere.
    Not like in Sardinia or Monte Carlo where parking sometimes results in pure madness ;-)
    http://patrik-pangerl.com
    World Rally Photography since 2005