Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales Rally GB

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    The Welsh only have a language so they can swap to it when an English tourist comes in their shop...
    . So do the French, Mind that all changes once they are convinced that whist you speak the language you are not from nor have anything to do with England

Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 RS2000 View Post
    . So do the French, Mind that all changes once they are convinced that whist you speak the language you are not from nor have anything to do with England
    The French speak French, they dont just switch into it when a tourist comes in...

One time two garage assistants switched to Welsh and then just ignored us... but my friend is Welsh and she gave them a volley in their own lingo ! :lol:

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    So....any discount codes?
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Guys, been years since I've been to RGB. One of my kids is heading over with friends so need some advice.
    Is it possible to watch the rally without going to the spectator stages? Nothing to do with money but is it possible to park in a lay-by for instance and make your own way to a stage? It's just something we've always done at rallies and I guess he wants to continue doing it. Or if you use an official car park can you wander away from designated areas?
    TIA.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Unless you know people who have property that is on/ near the stages (or know the area) then I'm not sure it's possible. And quite a lot of the lay-bys will be shut. Not like the days of the old RAC, which had a slightly more relaxed attitude to parking; remember all the landowners/ farmers, etc letting people park on their land......

As for the official car parks, as long as you're sensible picking your spot, you should be okay - it's not quite as bad as people make out. However, I'd try to get in position about 1 hour before the first car.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

6. Likes: noel157 (25th September 2018)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel157 View Post
    Guys, been years since I've been to RGB. One of my kids is heading over with friends so need some advice.
    Is it possible to watch the rally without going to the spectator stages? Nothing to do with money but is it possible to park in a lay-by for instance and make your own way to a stage? It's just something we've always done at rallies and I guess he wants to continue doing it. Or if you use an official car park can you wander away from designated areas?
    TIA.
    Sounds do-able, but I reckon you will have to really know where you are going to walk from, as there are loads of minor roads etc. closed off. Have you checked out the on-line rally planner? Also, check out the two links earlier in this thread from jbmarcus21 and AnttiL. They are both cracking bits of work and I've used them loads for planning this year.
    With regard to wandering, yeah, I do it on most stages to one extent or another. If you're safe, it's fine.

8. Likes: noel157 (25th September 2018)
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    It's doable, but you really need to know where you're going and be prepared for a long walk (as in 2 hours, most of it uphill). Laybays near the stages will be closed, plus there will be a lot of minor roads closed and there's always the risk you'll meet someone that doesn't want to let you by. I did a stage last year that was 4 miles, 3 of them uphill, just to reach the stage. After that we still had to walk a good way to get to the spot.

Most marshals are happy to let you wander if the stage isn't live and you're sensible about it. The more people listen to the marshals and do what they say (even if they don't agree) then the easier it'll be for everyone.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

10. Likes: noel157 (25th September 2018)
    Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    The French speak French, they dont just switch into it when a tourist comes in...

One time two garage assistants switched to Welsh and then just ignored us... but my friend is Welsh and she gave them a volley in their own lingo ! :lol:
    In mid and particularly north west Wales (the only bits I regularly visit) I find it to be the absolute norm that the locals converse as a matter of course in Welsh. If you go somewhere like the Tesco in Porthmadog out of season, pretty much everyone will be talking Welsh. So I don't agree with that generalisation.

Quote Originally Posted by noel157 View Post
    TIA.
    It's certainly possible. I'd say the majority of stages can be reached somehow for free by an hour's walk of two miles or so, give or take half a mile. I don't know of any that don't present a rather significant climb at some point or for the duration though! You really do have to plan it in advance and know where you're heading. This has been made a lot easier in the last few years, given that the official online rally planner shows you where the road closures are in relation to the stages, with the aid of OS maps and Google Maps/Streetview, I think it's now reasonably easy to work out in advance unofficial ways in. To be honest, given all the information now available, I've been surprised that it's still relatively few of us who do take the free route in. I normally travel to the rally alone, but if I were paying for more than one person, I'd balk at the idea of having to pay a multiple of £30 to enter an official stage car park!

Personally I go for a mix of unofficial and paying for the official car parks now, depending on the day/stage and normally how deep I wish to go into a stage. For example last year I parked in the car park for Dyfi, as having recced the walk in a couple of summers ago that I know Mr Jan does, I know I wouldn't fancy doing it on a dark, rainy winter morning! Last year time wise you could easily get over to Dyfnant 2 after Dyfi 1 & 2 were done, walking in, with the walk taking about an hour. I wouldn't walk into Dyfnant this year though because the configuration they're running is too far from the fairly obvious point where there is plentiful free parking that I used, plus the itinerary makes doing Dyfnant very unattractive.

As has been said too, you can reach pretty much anywhere in the stage without hassle, certainly if you get to the stage more than an hour early. Something to note with the official car parks is that you'll normally enter the stage from those at a junction. There there will be loads of taped area and marshals. I've found that while you'll almost always be directed away from traipsing through taped off areas and towards the official spectator area, even long before the start of a stage, I've never had a problem with walking a little way into the spectator area before getting onto the stage, even if you walk back past the entry point down the stage. Obviously you shouldn't get there late and do this though. I've never had a cross word from a marshal. Respect what they tell you, work with or around them, do not give them any grief. I'm not saying you would, just a general point!

12. Likes: noel157 (25th September 2018),Simmi (25th September 2018)
    Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Andy, T16, Mr Jan and Sniper, many thanks for your posts, very helpful. And yep, have downloaded Jérémie's and Anttil's info.
    Last edited by noel157; 25th September 2018 at 17:31.

14. Likes: AnttiL (25th September 2018),T16 (25th September 2018),the sniper (25th September 2018)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    https://walesrallygb.com/documents/1...1_(YELLOW).pdf

That new 4 wheels rolling rule is in use. (so it´s not new for 2019)
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

16. Likes: AnttiL (25th September 2018)