Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Italy 2018

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I have to say, Mercedes were at their very best with the strategy today. They out-thinked the Ferrari team today. Vettel being out of position really helped Mercedes today as well. Keeping Hamilton out for a few laps longer made all the difference when it was time to take the fight to Kimi.

Haas are joint 4th in the constructors championship with Renault. Renault seem to have put forward a formal protest of the Haas cars which has resulted in both car being withheld by the stewards subject to investigation due to Renault's protest. The new kid on the block is ruffling some feathers it would seem.

I wonder, if Vettel loses the drivers championship of 2018 to Hamilton, would he still be wearing red next season? By the way, rumours are that Leclerc has been signed by Ferrari for next season. It would seem Kimi's days in red are numbered.

Kimi being the sole Ferrari at the front was literally mugged by the Mercedes pair. The Mercedes strategist was out for blood today and executed his plan with deadly efficiency which left Kimi with damaged tyres and easy picking for a RAMPANT HAMILTON. It was a brilliant display of team effort to which Bottas contributed enormously. The Mercedes may be slightly slower than the Ferrari, but they are making up for the difference with some gritty and daring attacks.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd September 2018 at 22:06.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Absolutely a brilliant strategy by Mercedes this race, and quite a change from some of the blunders they have made in past races. I must admit that when they left Lewis out losing ground to Kimi, it appeared as though they had made the wrong call. But once they got Kimi in the Mercedes sandwich, it all came to them.

Seb screwed himself. So did Max. We can still expect it from Max, but Seb should know better.

Even after Kimi being held up by Bottas, Lewis had a fight on his hands with Kimi. Rather than make any risky moves, he just kept applying the pressure and helped Kimi beat up his tires until it was a losing battle. When Lewis did finally make his move, clean and decisive, and no games between the drivers. Also great clean racing on the Lewis pass and Kimi pass to get back in front on the first lap.

Great team playing by Bottas with enough in hand to still secure a spot on the podium. Though he was slow to get by the RB at that point it was a losing battle and well played for Bottas to wait it out. In the end Max made the pass for Bottas by being Max, so justice was served.

Haas up in 6th with Rogro staying quiet and doing his thing. Both FI cars up in the points as well. It seems the best of the rest are fairly strong, and there was some good racing through the pack.

Hartley and Ricciardo gave Fred some company in the DNFs. It has to be wearing thin for Alonso and Daniel at this point. I'm surprised the Hartley bump didn't give out a penalty, as it didn't appear he moved at all to cause that damage.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Haas up in 6th with Rogro staying quiet and doing his thing.
    Grosjean was ultimately disqualified for an illegal floor on the Haas, so Sirotkin gets his first point in F1.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    Ferrari cost Kimi the win. Not testing the softs was their undoing.
    Haas, specifically Grosjean, being DQ'ed is a huge blow to the team and keep Renault ahead of them. The way STR is looking with Honda I think RB will be quite pleased.

Bottas is the DOTD for me. He brilliantly kept Kimi behind so he became easy pickin's for Lewis.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

5. Likes: Mia 01 (5th September 2018),truefan72 (4th September 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    And that petulant idiot from red bull, what an annoying individual.
    Verstapenn is fast becoming the most unlikable racer of F1.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: N. Jones (4th September 2018)
    Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
    So Verstappen is the stupid one here? How in gods name did Bottas think he could pass there on the outside? I would say that was a poor judgement call. Verstappen said after the race he could maybe have given Bottas a few more mm's but that is what racing is all about.
    Have a great day, Rob

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luijbregts View Post
    So Verstappen is the stupid one here? How in gods name did Bottas think he could pass there on the outside? I would say that was a poor judgement call. Verstappen said after the race he could maybe have given Bottas a few more mm's but that is what racing is all about.
    Can’t understand this post. Bottas was as far left as he could go. Verstappen clearly drifted left and hit Bottas. Whether he thought he could pass him is irrelevant. Max knew he was there, Bottas was entitled to be there and Max gave him no room.

10. Likes: airshifter (7th September 2018),N. Jones (6th September 2018),Tazio (6th September 2018),truefan72 (8th September 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luijbregts View Post
    I have a feeling that if the track positions of Verstapenn and Bottas were reversed you would be very critical of Bottas anyway. All l have to say is watch the race again and watch this part in slow motion if you can.
    William Shakespeare

12. Likes: airshifter (7th September 2018),N4D13 (8th September 2018)
    I am also happy to see both Williams quietly edging into the points at this race. It seems they are getting a better understanding of this car which bodes well for their 2019 season.
    William Shakespeare