Page 82 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Meeke made mistakes and so did the engineers and design team.
    That’s what I’ve been saying for ages! The C3 was a fiasco and all major players have their faults on it, from designers to test drivers and overall managers. During the 9 months spent testing the car before homologation, everybody felt it was ok and only after MC they realize it wasn’t; worse: they were clueless about the way to fix it, no matter how much they all look for improvements. Meeke kamikaze driving style was also far from being helpful; among the frustration, suddenly a narrative arouse in the press: Meeke was a victim of the stubborn French. A totally unfair and biased line once we look back and realize the French were Meeke main supporters through his rally career and the staff actually respected him.

Anyway, Citroen got rid of all C3 initial players and they’re now working on a clean sheet, while Meeke is also having a fresh start in Toyota. Let’s avoid wasting time with the troubled past and look forward, wishing Citroen and Meeke the best luck in the world.
    Rally addict since 1982

2. Likes: er88 (12th October 2018)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    And every other countries' journos downplay their drivers chances do they?
    Certainly not, but since the wrc promoter/site/allive coverage as well as hosts and commenters are mainly british the british jurnos dominate the english-language news.

Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Latest Colin Clark KT including newest rumour of Paddon to M-Sport... on-loan !

https://youtu.be/MMVuAcgZNw4

5. Likes: BobJones (12th October 2018)
    Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    Meeke to Toyota is quite a nice surprise, I didn't think we'd see him in a full time WRC drive again. It's good for the sport that he's still in, will bring some spice definitely. So that means Lappi to Citroen so the main players are settled and it's up to the rest to sort something out. The biggest unknown now is MSport's commitment and budget and i think it could stay that way until late in the year, maybe even december.

Hyundai: Neuville, Mikkelsen
    Toyota: Tanak, Latvala, Meeke
    Ford: Suninen
    Citroen: Ogier, Lappi

still going round the musical chairs: Paddon, Sordo, Evans, Breen, Ostberg and also lurking around is Tidemand. Also interesting to see if Loeb does a few rallies again and if Al Qassimi stays with Citroen.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    You are right and the problem is aswell that most work for the same employer! When Motoring/Motorsport news was seperate from Autosport and we had other publications such as Rally Sport then us Brits had a choice who to believe. Now Evans and Benyon have to follow the same editorial steer to avoid upsetting the promotors.

As much as I would like to support our home drivers I get as much joy watching a spectacular Estonian driver as much as the man from Dungannon.
    To continue the topic. It's in a way understandable when motorsport journalists from "small" (in terms of rally) nations write biased articles about their drivers. Partly cause they often don't know much about rallying and partly it's to "promote" rallying in the country (= "look how great we are doing").
    So when reading news from these you immediately expect some bias and learn to ignore it.

But with the brits in the "international" media it's different for me. They often are doing only rallying so they have enough knowledge. Stuff like Allive runs only in 1 language but likely majority of the viewers are outside of UK. As an "official" channel it should be as independent as possible, also because the viewers are international, and this is where it often fails imo.

It's not only the fault of the journalists though, it's very hard to keep sub-conscious bias out. The easiest way to improve it would be to employ more non-uk hosts/commentators/interviewers. As far as I know now it's only Molly that is not from UK. There are tons of ex-drivers/co-drivers around as well as motorsport journalists in other countries. Should be possible to find a few that talk understandable English and want to do the work.
    Last edited by mknight; 11th October 2018 at 21:10.

Liked 5,499 Times in 2,280 Posts
    My guess:

M-Sport
    Breen
    Suninen
    Evans

Citroën:
    Ogier
    Lappi
    Østberg
    Al-Qassimi

Hyundai
    Neuville
    Mikkelsen
    Sordo / Paddon

Toyota
    Tänak
    Latvala
    Meeke
    Katsuta

Unfortunately no Tidemand.

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Can you guarantee that he really asked for specific improvements and the team refused them? Probably you base that acceptation on a few comments from ‘unidentified sources’ that the Brit press eagerly spread. The same press that forgot to mention that Alexis Avril, the C3 WRC chief of project, is a good friend of Meeke (since the C2 Junior days) and always supported him. The same press that failed to mention that Poland ‘suspension’ was settled by the team with Meeke agreement, as he felt a break was needed. The same press that only question Meeke driving approach after he was fired, ignoring his error prone attitude through the years.

!
    Probably you talk nonsense?
    None of what I said is from the press in any form. Make what you want of that, makes no difference to me.
    Oh, and by the way the drivers often referred to the C3 during development as the "bastard" but I expect you knew that, maybe not. I suspect you know little about the situation if you have to further dismiss my post by rabbiting on about "Brit" press reporting and "unidentified sources". Brit?

I've often seen attitudes like yours on this forum during the many years I've been a member. If you disagree with what I say, no problem. But there is a problem when you attempt to belittle and patronise me because you disagree with or disbelieve what I say.
    Perhaps you should find some manners and a little respect.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (12th October 2018)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel157 View Post
    I've often seen attitudes like yours on this forum during the many years I've been a member. If you disagree with what I say, no problem. But there is a problem when you attempt to belittle and patronise me because you disagree with or disbelieve what I say.
    Perhaps you should find some manners and a little respect.
    Asking others to find manners and show respect while making wrong judgments on their intentions speak volumes about the way you’re making your point.

To keep portraying Meeke just as a victim of a disarrayed team is as distorted as blaming him for all Citroen recent misery. Nothing is ever black and white.
    Rally addict since 1982

12. Likes: EstWRC (12th October 2018),Fast Eddie WRC (12th October 2018),steve.mandzij (12th October 2018)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    So, I´m only one who still don´t believe that Meeke is Toyota driver 2019.

Outside this forum I know more than 10 people who also don´t believe, yet.

Interesting part is that all those people work in same place here in Jyväskylä or for same company in Tallinn

Waiting for next week...
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

14. Likes: Allez Andruet (12th October 2018),AnttiL (12th October 2018),EstWRC (12th October 2018)
    Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    Yes, not yet confirmes.
    But why so hard to believe.
    For an aggressive team who wants to win rallys, he is the only option. no?
    Maybe Makenin rather have Meeke in his stable, than as a #1 pilot at msport?
    Also, as far as know, Meeke has no bullshit manager trying to overhype.
    With Meeke you know what your getting, and maybe Makinen likes that attitude.